PS4 In 2010 Claims Sony. Major PS3 Upgrades In Between

rashad

Hype Board Junkie
Reaction score
PS4 In 2010 Claims Sony. Major PS3 Upgrades In Between

David Richards - Monday, 4 December 2006

A PS4 will be launched by Sony but not until at least 2010 claims the Vice President of Technology for Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, Paul Holman.

What will happen between then and now is that Sony will introduce a series of firmware upgrades that will give the PS3 more media centre capability while allowing for the introduction of third party applications and hardware "Such as interactive controllers" similar to the Nintendo Wii he said.

"To say that there will be no PS4 because of a management change is a bit far fetched: he said.

Speaking to SmartHouse in Sydney, Holman said that right now Sony game developers are realizing that the PS3 with the Cell processor has "A heap more processing headroom than they initially anticipated and that this was resulting in the development of new gaming capabilities".

He also said that by March when the PAL version of the Sony PS3 will be launched in Europe and Australia that the PS3 will undergo an additional firmware upgrade and that he anticipates that at least 20 new games will be available to coincide with the launch.

"The PS3 has an awful lot of processing power and we will harness this power with firmware upgrades and new features. He also admitted that the PS3 will become as much a media centre for the home as it is a gaming machine and the introduction of new capabilities such as the ability to download third party operating systems to the PS3 will see several new capabilities added to the system. We have already seen one European Linux application running on the PS3 and over the next few months we know of several others that plan to launch a product for the PS3"

He also said that in the future the PS3 could come with a keyboard and mouse that will allow for easier access to the internet as well as the use of new media centre and third party applications.

http://www.navig8.to/?http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Games_And_Devices/Console?Article=/Games%20And%20Devices/Console/W2D5W7X5

This means that sony will just launch it the year after right?

2010? We most likely wont see a PS4 till 2012. 2010 seems way too early. That pretty much gives the PS3 a 3-4 year active lifespan

I'd prefer a 2011-2012 before PS4 I mean PS3 is just coming out essentially in 2007.

To put out a fire before it starts they've already said that they won't be changing any hardware configurations for games that would make the out PS3 unagble to play new PS3.25 games or whatever. They've talked about offering costum configurations (mostly for the Linux crowds),

Keep in mind that Sony delays stuff. He's probably saying 2010 to make sure it comes out on time in 2012.

so i might as well save the money that i have for another 3 years than ill buy a ps4

He never said PS4 was out in 2010. He said it wouldn't be out until at least 2010. 2010 was an earliest possible date, and simply wouldn't happen.

I think it possible though that PS3 will have a shorter cycle than PS2 however, given it's already a year behind on the 360, which will no doubt have a relatively short cycle in the way the X-Box did.

were not ready for next gen yet, let alone next next gen, its going by way to fast, if sony wants to be on top again, it should just give the ps3 time wait about 6 years than start thinking about a ps4.

same with xbox, that should have atleast a 5 year cycle.

sony should start design on the ps4 soon, so they have a head start, they could develop the ps4 and still give the ps3 a large life span. than once there done with ps3, they finalize ps4 and thatl sell like hot cakes.

of course itl be no surprise if it causts like 800-900

:rolleyes:

This happens every few years when the latest machines come out. They announce that they are working on the next console and that they are thinking of projected dates.

Cue stupid complaining that "OH NOES! THEY ARE ALREADY MAKING A NEW CONSOLE! I WILL ONLY GET 3 YEARS PLAY OUT OF MY BRAND NEW PS1/PS2/PS3/XBOX/XBOX360!!!!111!!"

Seriously people, use the grey matter a little... Since when has ANYONE limited a console to such a active life?

Look at the ammount sony have invested in the PS3 and look at the uge hit they are taking on the hardware. They need to seel this thing for many many many years before it turns any serious profit.

Still any doubts? Just look at how long they clung onto the PS2.

I remember Sony saying that PS3 would be it and that they wouldnt need a PS4.

Seems like a bonehead move really.

By giving a target date, they're letting the competition know when to target their next launch.

So, if they lure MS and Nintendo into putting out something in 2010, and Sony comes out with something in 2009 it'd be even more disasterous. If they try to beat the others to market to win the PR battle, it could backfire.

What are they thinking?

Cth said:
Seems like a bonehead move really.

By giving a target date, they're letting the competition know when to target their next launch.

So, if they lure MS and Nintendo into putting out something in 2010, and Sony comes out with something in 2009 it'd be even more disasterous. If they try to beat the others to market to win the PR battle, it could backfire.

What are they thinking?
Not really. I highly doubt that both MS and Nintendo get their only launch info from a random website. Besides, having MS and Nintendo's new systems come out in 2010 would be just as disastrous as PS4 in 2009.

But this is all a moot point. Mentok said it perfectly earlier, this means nothign anyway.

kytrigger said:
Not really. I highly doubt that both MS and Nintendo get their only launch info from a random website. Besides, having MS and Nintendo's new systems come out in 2010 would be just as disastrous as PS4 in 2009.

But this is all a moot point. Mentok said it perfectly earlier, this means nothign anyway.

I don't think anyone was claiming MS and Nintendo were getting their info from a random website.

And I think MS and Nintendo probably have a better shot at putting something out by 2009 than Sony does.

Cth said:
I don't think anyone was claiming MS and Nintendo were getting their info from a random website.

And I think MS and Nintendo probably have a better shot at putting something out by 2009 than Sony does.
The Wii has just launched, and we're only a month away from 2007. Nintendo would have no chance of releasing a console in 2009. It would be an incredibly daft move.

Yes! Major PS3 upgrades! PS3 has soooooo much potential! Who cares about exclusive games, great games, potential is what it's all about.

Geez, I should just wait for a PS4 then. I'm getting sick of these number versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"