PS3 Hacking... Waits for sony to kill the scene...

Mentok

Avenger
Reaction score
www.kotaku.com

Console hacking enthusiasts have already taken the first steps towards making the PS3 backup friendly, installing LINUX and using it to dump a 7.08GB ISO file from Madden 07 onto an external hard drive. Pool Boy over at PS3News points out that this is exactly how the PSP backup scene got started, and that the PS3 file structure closely resembles the one used in PlayStation Portable games.

In the same forum post he mentions a new AdvanceMAME binary for the PS3 that allows the system to emulate arcade games through Linux, and links to a tutorial on how to install a 750GB hard drive into the console.

It's kinda funny. This is the most excitement I've seen anyone drum up for the PS3 since the system launch. There might not be much in the way of new games coming out for a few months, but the potential for the system as a set top Linux box is quite intriguing, and an angle I hadn't considered. Now we just have to see if Sony unleashes regular BIOS upgrades to quash the homebrew scene like they've done on the PSP.

I wonder how long the die hard sony supporters will keep up the ""Sony are supporting open source and the homebrew scene" talk when they start releasing constant bug fixes and updates to kill the scene.

Hell, you only have to look at the PSP 3.0 update. That took one day for a fix to stop exploits to come out.

And I remember the people here claiming sony would support homebrew and open source with PSP and PS3.

There's a huge difference between supporting legitimate homebrew that's done through what Sony has said they will be providing and making 'backups' of games. They have every right to kill that sort of thing and anyone who says otherwise is ******ed.

I love it when the pirates continually try their best to blow open a system and make it as easy as possible to make illigal copies of any game that runs on the system and then try to hide behind the "but we're only making backups! Evil coporation! Cries*" BS.

This isn't homebrew Mentok. That's really really really really obvious.

Zenien, I don't know if you intended this or not, but you really sounded like a leaf in the wind there...

Gee it's a good thing you had something to add that had a shred of intelligence.

What did WHF get banned for?

I know you guys hate Sony, but I can't believe you're making them the bad guys for cracking down on piracy. I don't see X-Box 360 making friendly with pirates or anyone else, it's illegal. Sony's hardly the first to do this. Not to mention this is saying you could rent Madden 07, and make a backup, but Sony's evil in stopping it? I'm not trying to be an ass, it's just owning a bios of the PS3 when you don't own a PS3 (as will happen eventually thru the net and starts with things like these) is indeed illegal. Making backups of games leads to streaming of them thru bittorrent meaning no one has to buy a game as they can get it free.

I'll admit I think it's stupid when companies crack down hard on ppl who pirate, like jail time for old nappster users or whatever. I'm just saying a company protecting themselves from future piracy isn't evil on their part, most companies do whether it be the movie buisness or whatever.

FadingCB said:
I know you guys hate Sony, but I can't believe you're making them the bad guys for cracking down on piracy. I don't see X-Box 360 making friendly with pirates or anyone else, it's illegal. Sony's hardly the first to do this. Not to mention this is saying you could rent Madden 07, and make a backup, but Sony's evil in stopping it? I'm not trying to be an ass, it's just owning a bios of the PS3 when you don't own a PS3 (as will happen eventually thru the net and starts with things like these) is indeed illegal. Making backups of games leads to streaming of them thru bittorrent meaning no one has to buy a game as they can get it free.

I'll admit I think it's stupid when companies crack down hard on ppl who pirate, like jail time for old nappster users or whatever. I'm just saying a company protecting themselves from future piracy isn't evil on their part, most companies do whether it be the movie buisness or whatever.

Its not about piracy. Its about homebrew.

Its the same as homebrew on PSP. Rather than just locking out the piracy, SONY locks out everything with each firmware update..

They don't exactly have a choice at the moment since the avenues for Homebrew on the PSP are the same as the ones used to hack the system.

Linux on the PS3 makes the PS3 another beast entirely. And their Cell/SPE SDK is going to be coming with the release of YDL.

Mentok said:
Its not about piracy. Its about homebrew.

You could have picked a better example then. Making 'backups' is in no way legitimate, legal, or homebrew.

Zenien said:
And their Cell/SPE SDK is going to be coming with the release of YDL.

Which should be pretty interesting.

You could have picked a better example then. Making 'backups' is in no way legitimate, legal, or homebrew.

Which is why its only part of the article ;)

If by only one part of the article you mean the entire point of it with mame emulation tacked on to try and legitimize the authors view of being able to dump any game that's ever put inside the system as 'backups'.

Seriously, Sony has to shut down illigal copying, so far you don't have a single thing that really legitimately can be called Homebrew to back up your stance of 'lol I was right Sony not going to support teh homebrew' and your entire point is blown out of the water because of Linux and the Cell/SPE SDK sony is providing.

What's illegal about backing up something you own? As far as I know, it's only illegal to distribute it to someone else

if they make it so the games are so large that the bandwidth usage isn't worth it then they'll be fine. you stop piracy by making it impractical. keep the cost of the write media up untill the point that it superseeded. which is why the next gen disc being used to full advantage is so important. sony know this so they'll make sure their first party games are large. they also used the PSP as a test bed to stop certain exploits. which leads to computers which can be free of bugs in the simple user mode. yet open to the knowledgable user aswell. who does things at their own risk. best of both worlds.

Addendum said:
What's illegal about backing up something you own? As far as I know, it's only illegal to distribute it to someone else

That's sort of a grey bit of red tape when it comes to video games that's used to help sheild rom sites and the like.

The problem is you can't regulate this. There's nothing stoping someone from renting a game from blockbuster and making a 'backup' of it. To be clear the pirates in question haven't yet found a way to play the dumped version of the games but that's the direction they of course will be heading.

Now the only way to regulate this is to give every game an incription key or registration code.

The vaste majority of people whop will use this exploit will use it for piracy; the 1 or 2 people who proclaim that they only use it for backups are meaningless. Especially when a torrent gets put up.

Sony and every dev making a PS3 game should fill their games to the brim with replicated content, or make the movie files as bloated as possible. Danalys has the right idea. Dummy data can always be stripped out though.

But it's only illegal to give that backup to someone else. It's not illegal for a person to make a backup and keep it for their own use

Well yeah, but it's also not illigal for companies to stop unauthorized ways of making backups because of the way it violates the system security.

I'd rather have an unauthorized copy of a game, CD, or DVD that I can use if the original gets stolen, lost, broken or becomes unplayable rather than buying the same thing again

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"