PS3 Launch Outsells Xbox 360 Launch

Zenien

Reaction score
Sony today announced that they have sold 1 million Playstation 3s in North America since the launch of the console six weeks ago.

That makes the Playstation 3 the fastest selling home console Sony has ever launched.

Microsoft sold 600,000 of their Xbox 360s from their November launch to the second week in January.

"SCEA went to great lengths to help meet demand for PS3, including airlifting systems into North America on a weekly basis to ensure a steady stream of units were available to consumers throughout the holiday season," said Jack Tretton, president and CEO, SCEA. "The fact that we were able to reach the one-million mark faster than our top-selling platform, the PS2, further validates the strength of the PlayStation brand and our belief that consumers are ready to experience true high-definition gaming." ... "Reaching the one million mark for PS3 is the first of many major milestones for us as we head into a new year. Even more impressive, is that we were able to accomplish this feat while successfully managing two other gaming platforms--PS2 and PSP," said Tretton. "With three PlayStation platforms now available to gamers, 2007 will be about software and delivering innovative, new experiences and award-winning franchises to consumers, both through retail and through our online PLAYSTATION Network."

LAS VEGAS, January 8, 2007 -At the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2007 in Las Vegas, Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) today announced that more than one million units of its recently launched PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system have been sold in to the retail channel in North America. The company successfully achieved this milestone by the end of the 2006 calendar year, just six weeks after the product was introduced on November 17, 2006.
PS3 has been selling-out at retail outlets across North America since it was launched. This high consumer demand drove the PS3 to reach the one-million mark before its predecessors, the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system and the PS one game console - both systems have shipped more than 213 million units of hardware and more than 2.1 billion pieces of software worldwide.
"SCEA went to great lengths to help meet demand for PS3, including airlifting systems into North America on a weekly basis to ensure a steady stream of units were available to consumers throughout the holiday season," said Jack Tretton, president and CEO, SCEA. "The fact that we were able to reach the one-million mark faster than our top-selling platform, the PS2, further validates the strength of the PlayStation brand and our belief that consumers are ready to experience true high-definition gaming."
PS3 wasn't the only hot gift this holiday season, the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system continues to enjoy record-breaking sales in North America. In the first quarter of 2007, PS2 will continue to fuel industry growth with the highly anticipated release of the MLB 07 The Show and God of War 2 titles. PlayStation-branded entertainment and gaming content that will be shown in the Sony booth at CES 2007, includes:
FORMULA ONE CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION - PS3
MLB 07 The Show - PS3, PSP
MotorStorm -- PS3
LAIR -- PS3
Heavenly Sword -- PS3
Gran Turismo HD - PS3 downloadable
Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters - PSP
Killzone -- PSP
SOCOM: Fire Team Bravo - PSP

Other features on display will include "Remote Play" for the PS3, which allows the consumer to utilize their PSP to access content on their PS3 hard drive, including movies, television shows, videos and music. A full demonstration of the PLAYSTATION®Network, and PLAYSTATION®Store for the PS3, as well as Location Free TV™ for the PSP, will also be shown.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/ps3-launch-outsells-xbox-360-launch-226742.php

lol...I wasnt aware there were 1 million PS3s out there in NA. Congtrats to Sony though. Hopefully things look up in 07

I didn't think Sony had even made 1 mil units for everyone... let alone sell em. Let's hope a million units hits UK.

Not bad, congrats Sony lol. I didn't realize tho that it sold faster than the PS2 during the same time frame.

cool. i guess we can get rid of all this 'sony's launch is a dissapointment' thing.

i really don't care. why did i post in this thread then? to express my feelings.

cool. i guess we can get rid of all this 'sony's launch is a dissapointment' thing.

Honestly I didn't think it was a dissapointment myself. I think it was mainly because ppl were comparing Xbox 360 numbers after being out a year to PS3 having only been out for 1 month numbers. Of course Wii's numbers are beating them both, but I wonder if Wii can keep up this pace for much longer?

Honestly I didn't think it was a dissapointment myself. I think it was mainly because ppl were comparing Xbox 360 numbers after being out a year to PS3 having only been out for 1 month numbers. Of course Wii's numbers are beating them both, but I wonder if Wii can keep up this pace for much longer?

after 2007, nope.

It's odd then, given the facts, that people are stating the launch was a failure. There were plenty of hiccups, but in terms of numbers, the PS3 is doing fine.

I thought Sony lied about shipping 400,000 at launch... EA reported only 200,000 :huh:

Now I'm starting to see them regularly available/in stock at Best Buy, etc.

GOOD NEWS, I'M GLAD SONY'S PICKING UP STEAM, NOW RELEASE MOTOR STORM EARLY DANG NABBIT!!!:mad: :oldrazz: :D :up:

PS3 only LOOKED horrible because a pretty poor E3 was resulted in mass flamings from X-bots. They took every chance they could to wreck Sony, and it spread.

in mass flamings from X-bots

The Sonians are also no better then the Xbots since they pretty much also do what Xbots do. If your going to talk **** about one group then include the other group which does the same thing the other group does

I thought Sony lied about shipping 400,000 at launch... EA reported only 200,000 :huh:

Now I'm starting to see them regularly available/in stock at Best Buy, etc.

I think 190,000 at launch but the company has done a nice job shipping them out to stores weekly

Of course the Wii is owning them both with no sign of slowing down. And when we consider that X Box 360 was far better reviewed and has Halo while Sony has exactly one long-term killer app franchise... which is made by a company who have announced they intend to support the PS3 less than any previous sony console...

I thought Sony 'shipped' 1 million units to stores, not sold. Not that impressive considering this was not a worldwide release, even here in Europe we don't have a definite release date.

Sixaxis won a emmy at CES.

WTF?

I didn't think Sony had even made 1 mil units for everyone... let alone sell em. Let's hope a million units hits UK.

What's more worrying is that there is no definite release date in Europe, only March 2007 has been stated. :huh:

Of course the Wii is owning them both with no sign of slowing down.

It has the same problems that plagued the Gamecube, so the signs of a potential slowdown are there, but only potential.

The only report I've seen has said they "shipped" 1 million consoles to NA. Not sold them. And that's only furthered by the fact that there's been PS3's sitting on store shelves for weeks now.

Give it up, the PS3 has not sold 1 mil in NA yet.

The only report I've seen has said they "shipped" 1 million consoles to NA. Not sold them. And that's only furthered by the fact that there's been PS3's sitting on store shelves for weeks now.

Give it up, the PS3 has not sold 1 mil in NA yet.
then your report is most likely old, wrong or both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"