PS3 Launch Outsells Xbox 360 Launch

I'll post the December NPD hardware numbers when they become available. Which should be like... soon... I think. :o

I, too, am curious how many systems are actually in customers' hands.

The Circuit City that I work at recieved 9 60GBs and 2 20GBs in Thursday, and have YET to sell a single one of those. In the past 2 weeks or so I've had 2 maybe 3 people actually ask whether we had any in stock, and when I told them we had 2 and 9 in they just kinda smirked and told me they were "just curious".

But holy cow, we're STILL getting call after call every day about those freaking Wiis and DSs

"Do you have them in yet?"
"No."
"No."
"No."
"No."

It's actually to the point where one of the guys who works in my section with me, Luke, actually answers our department's phone with something along the lines of "Circuit City, this is Luke. We are currently sold out of Wiis and DSs. Can I help you?"

No way I'm answering the phone like that, but yeah...just one store's report.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It's true. Beyond Final Fantasy, Sony have zip all Killer app franchises. MGS has one good game left, then Kojima is off to...? Make games for Wii. Devil May Cry will be great but it won't sell enough to make killer app. Resistance didn't make it. Killzone is still suffering from the E3 05 catastrophe.

ISixaxis won a emmy at CES.

No, the Ps2 dualshock won an emmy at CES. Sony then announced that the SIXAXIS had won an emmie, before being told that no, it had not.

It has the same problems that plagued the Gamecube, so the signs of a potential slowdown are there, but only potential.

Actually, as someone who followed both launches it certainly does not. The GCn didn'[t have anywhere near the initial numbers that GCN had, PLUS GCN suffered from lack of good launch titles- Wii has Zelda- lack of 3rd party support- Wii has more than any Ninty console since the SNES-and so on.

Just got back from Best Buy and they had 12 PS3 sitting out. I asked a guy when they came in and he said it was this morning and they had yet to sell one. I wanted to buy one but the games I'm interested in don't come out for a couple of months and I figure by then most stores will have the consoles in stock.

In an effort to be fair, I've gotta report that for some strange reason, yesterday saw a strange and sudden surge in people buying the PS3. We sold 5 of the 11 we've had in for a week yesterday.

None sold today though as of 3PM.

Sometimes I think that its a bit unfair to compare how fast the Wiis come off the shelves and the PS3s. Think about it, you've got a costumer at a store and a Wii is announced, they impluse purchase it. At 250 dollars its no big deal, doesn't require a lot of thinking. When something for 600 appears that takes some mulling over. Perhaps discussing it at home and thinking it out. There are very few people that can afford to purchase the PS3 at the word they are available. So my point is a PS3 sitting on a shelf for a few days may not be as big an indicator as some may think

Sometimes I think that its a bit unfair to compare how fast the Wiis come off the shelves and the PS3s. Think about it, you've got a costumer at a store and a Wii is announced, they impluse purchase it. At 250 dollars its no big deal, doesn't require a lot of thinking. When something for 600 appears that takes some mulling over. Perhaps discussing it at home and thinking it out. There are very few people that can afford to purchase the PS3 at the word they are available. So my point is a PS3 sitting on a shelf for a few days may not be as big an indicator as some may think

True, BUT, I don't think the Wii is anything like an impuse buy. Nobody's coming in, seeing a Wii on the shelf, and thinking "Hmm...why not?".

These people are calling in every. single. day. as SOON as we open, and every few minutes after that all throughout the day.

These people are practically sitting at their phones awaiting news that a store has a Wii in stock for them to run and buy. They've had plenty of time to get over the impulse of just buying it on a whim.

BatMatt said:
:dry:
How long does it take to plan something that has had it's price known for over 8 months?

:dry:
How long does it take to plan something that has had it's price known for over 8 months?

Apparently a very long time, if you're BatMatt. "Well, damn, I knew it was going to be $600 half a year ago.. but.. hmm.. I still can't decide.."

Apparently a very long time, if you're BatMatt. "Well, damn, I knew it was going to be $600 half a year ago.. but.. hmm.. I still can't decide.."

False, knowing the price six months ago doesn't mean much. Its much easier to say "why not?" to $250 than $600. I wouldn't have bought a PS3 a few weeks ago normally but I was told to pay half and the other half would be picked up as an early birthday gift. So my personal circumstances changed when I bought mine. I could see a spike in PS3 sales once rebate checks are distributed as well. Money is liquid so knowing the price ahead of time is minimal. Someones financial situation six months ago is often much different than it would be currently.

False, knowing the price six months ago doesn't mean much. Its much easier to say "why not?" to $250 than $600. I wouldn't have bought a PS3 a few weeks ago normally but I was told to pay half and the other half would be picked up as an early birthday gift. So my personal circumstances changed when I bought mine. I could see a spike in PS3 sales once rebate checks are distributed as well. Money is liquid so knowing the price ahead of time is minimal. Someones financial situation six months ago is often much different than it would be currently.

Except someone's financial situation is not going to change so dramatically in six months that they're no longer able to afford a console. Unless they're constantly shifting from rich to poor and/or have a bad job.

:huh:

Knowing the price ahead of time is going to mean everything for most normal families. Because most people who actually take in the money and do taxes know about in what ballpark they are going to be in six months time. They're not going to be planning to buy a PS3 one month and then figure out that they're too poor the next. :dry:

Except someone's financial situation is not going to change so dramatically in six months that they're no longer able to afford a console. Unless they're constantly shifting from rich to poor and/or have a bad job.

:huh:

Knowing the price ahead of time is going to mean everything for most normal families. Because most people who actually take in the money and do taxes know about in what ballpark they are going to be in six months time. They're not going to be planning to buy a PS3 one month and then figure out that they're too poor the next. :dry:

Job layoffs, medical expenses, school, car repair, funeral costs, divorce, marriage, children situations, legal fees, there are plenty of ways someones financial situation can change dramatically in six months

Job layoffs, medical expenses, school, car repair, funeral costs, divorce, marriage, children situations, legal fees, there are plenty of ways someones financial situation can change dramatically in six months

Yes, but usually car maintenance is expected some time in advance unless there is an accident. Which most people aren't going to have in six months. As is marriage.. you just don't spur-of-the-moment get married nor does that happen with divorce, it takes months to get worked out. Legal fees are part of taxes, which would be expected.

And the very small percentage of people who are going to be laid off or have to pay funeral costs would even have time to think in advance anyways unless they've been laid off in the last month or two before the launch.

Children situations? What? :huh:

Example A, in June you plan to buy a PS3, but your wife files in September. Probably not going to be buying anything for 600 dollars anytime soon. Anyway you're over critiquing my examples. My point wasn't everyone who hasn't bought a PS3 is because of some big reason, just that its tough to push something that expensive very quickly. Televisions sit on store shelves too but are of course in time sold.

Children situations? Broad example, basically any expenses toward a child

I want a PS3 but I will probably wait till March to get one, by then more games will have come out and hopefully any firmware issues will be resolved. Plus most stores will probably have them in stock by then. The funny thing is to go look at ebay at all the people still trying to sell them for a huge profit, most of them are selling for under retail at this point. I know some people made good money off of selling a PS3 on ebay but hopefully the rest of the greedy people lose money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"