European Playstation 3 Launch Countdown:

No one is queuing up because they've already pre-ordered the console, and can pick it up at their own leisure.

:dry:

Far be it from me to insult and such (I was, afterall, a GameCube-only owner last gen), but you are in denial if you think the (so far) poor support of the PS3 launch in Europe is due to pre-orders.

Far be it from me to insult and such (I was, afterall, a GameCube-only owner last gen), but you are in denial if you think the (so far) poor support of the PS3 launch in Europe is due to pre-orders.

we're saying that there aren't lines backed up for miles at midnight launches because Sony has enough PS3's in Europe to fulfill all the pre-orders. Therefor there is no need to go to the store at midnight when your console will be waiting for you whenever you choose to go pick it up

No one is queuing up because they've already pre-ordered the console, and can pick it up at their own leisure.

Yes. The PS3 launch is the only launch in history where people pre-ordered so they could pick it up at a later date.

:whatever:

Seriously, you REALLY cant believe that can you? Just accept the fact that it was a piss poor launch around the PAL world. Dont make up B.S to try and defend the fact that there was basically no interest in the PS3 launch.

You should be looking at the positives if you are that keen on keeping a positive slant on the launch. Like the fact that things can only get better from now on seeing as the bar was lowered so damn far.

has there been launches in the past where there were more consoles than preorders?

Better news:
UK Stores Reporting Potential PS3 Sell-out
Steady sales on day one, with increased demand expected.
by Rob Burman, IGN UK

UK, March 23, 2007 - Although the PS3 launch hasn't been the mad scramble we saw when Wii was released, retailers in central London are reporting steady sales on the first day of the console's availability in Europe, with some anticipating a sell out over the weekend.

We spoke to high street stores this morning to see how the PlayStation 3 launch was going and most reported a quiet start with sales expected to pick up tomorrow. HMV in Oxford Street told us that 42 consoles had been sold in about five hours, following a 7am opening. However when asked whether stock might sell out by the end of the day, a representative told us, "We'll just have to see how busy it gets. We've had 100 pre-orders but we've got more units than that for sale in the store".

Meanwhile Tina Kara, manager of the Hamley's branch of GAME, said the store had sold 20 consoles in just over an hour: "This is the biggest launch ever. We've been so busy in the run-up and we expect to sell out by Monday." However, Kara also admitted that more people were still popping into the store, inquiring about Wiis.

"We get a lot of non-gamers asking about the Wii but we just don't have the stock. The PS3 is much better than the Wii but it appeals more to people that love gadgets and technology," she suggested.

Things were also going well at Virgin Megastore's Picadilly Circus branch. While the store didn't hold a glitzy launch night, plenty of PS3s were still ringing through the tills. In fact, a spokesman told us that so many were being sold the store didn't expect consoles to still be available by the end of play today.

So, if you still haven't snapped up a PS3 yet, you probably need to act quickly if you don't want to miss out.

Worst excuse ever

2 of the biggest online retailers Amazon.co.uk and Play.com all have PS3's in stock.

You were lucky if you could even get a Wii a month after launch and you would be struggling to find a 360 anywhere in the UK...

Wii60 ftw:ninja:

How do the launch numbers compare? Didn't someone post a while back that PS3 had more pre-orders than any other console before? In which case, it may well be there are just more PS3s available.

I can't say I'm surprised, but then again I can't say I care. I picked mine up last night and I love it, Motorstorm is amazing.

I can't say I'm surprised, but then again I can't say I care. I picked mine up last night and I love it, Motorstorm is amazing.

IT IS AN AWESOME GAME, WELCOME TO THE WINNING TEAM!!!:D:up:

Ah, I thank you. :up:

Doing a bit of Resistance right now, GREAT. :up:

Sony must be desperate. At the offical UK launch in London, they gave away 46-inch Sony Bravia HDTV's and a free cab ride home to the first 100 people who purchased a PS3.

I was at the shops today, and it's PS3's everywhere, and no one is excited, even though months ago UK stores are saying pre-orders where the highest ever, and the PS3 would sell-out on day one.

:o

Sony must be desperate. At the offical UK launch in London, they gave away 46-inch Sony Bravia HDTV's and a free cab ride home to the first 100 people who purchased a PS3.
:o
If I read the article correctly, The TVs weren't actually known about. They were given away to those that already turned up, not as encouragement to turn up.

Ja, it was more of a "hey, you decided to turn up here's a free tv..."

:(

Better news:
UK Stores Reporting Potential PS3 Sell-out
Steady sales on day one, with increased demand expected.
by Rob Burman, IGN UK

UK, March 23, 2007 - Although the PS3 launch hasn't been the mad scramble we saw when Wii was released, retailers in central London are reporting steady sales on the first day of the console's availability in Europe, with some anticipating a sell out over the weekend.

We spoke to high street stores this morning to see how the PlayStation 3 launch was going and most reported a quiet start with sales expected to pick up tomorrow. HMV in Oxford Street told us that 42 consoles had been sold in about five hours, following a 7am opening. However when asked whether stock might sell out by the end of the day, a representative told us, "We'll just have to see how busy it gets. We've had 100 pre-orders but we've got more units than that for sale in the store".

Meanwhile Tina Kara, manager of the Hamley's branch of GAME, said the store had sold 20 consoles in just over an hour: "This is the biggest launch ever. We've been so busy in the run-up and we expect to sell out by Monday." However, Kara also admitted that more people were still popping into the store, inquiring about Wiis.

"We get a lot of non-gamers asking about the Wii but we just don't have the stock. The PS3 is much better than the Wii but it appeals more to people that love gadgets and technology," she suggested.

Things were also going well at Virgin Megastore's Picadilly Circus branch. While the store didn't hold a glitzy launch night, plenty of PS3s were still ringing through the tills. In fact, a spokesman told us that so many were being sold the store didn't expect consoles to still be available by the end of play today.

So, if you still haven't snapped up a PS3 yet, you probably need to act quickly if you don't want to miss out.

I'm not surprised at steady sales. Sony announced huge shipments and with a console that expensive, chances are pretty good that a lot of people who wanted one knew they wouldn't have to line up for 12 hours etc, to get one.

Price is the barrier to entry here, obviously the PS3 won't be a repeat of the PS2 sucess, but that doesn't mean it's a Dreamcast (sorry hopefuls :p).

art_7071_id_6.jpeg

Sony store in Spain.

Though taht doesn't mean it hasn't bombed out in territories (because it has) but it has also been selling well in others. It's the price, the brand and the catalog are fantastic in Euro land, but Sony needs to be VERY aggressive with price drops.

Good new for people who plan to buy a PS3 in the future though, agressive price drops are almost guaranteed.

Motorstorm is SERIOUSLY good. Its moving up to one of my all time favourite games easily.

I wouldn't call Motorstorm 'fun' more like "omg I will defeat this game'. :o

Hehe, you're reminding of my old competition law days with that sentence. I miss them. :(

Mwhaahahaahha- I have no idea what competitive law days are. :o

Mwhaahahaahha- I have no idea what competitive law days are. :o
They're the days when I did competition law. :p Not sure what you call it over there. Anti-trust. Cartels. That kind of area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"