• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What The Hell Is This About?!?!?!?!?!?

So for this to make sense I'd say it'd have to go like this
-60GB for $499 and 80GB with Motorstorm for $599 from August till Christmas season (remaining 60GBs should be gone, or nearly gone)
After Christmas 80GB has Motorstorm removed and price drops back to $499 and includes rumbled controller (assuming it is introduced in September)

That's a wise choice. Notice how they don't say what will happen after the 60 gig SKU is depleted. They are not totally incompetent as to just have an 80 gig model bundled with a crappy game for $600. Motorstorm sold its 2 million...now it has to get the **** out of here. What I do know is that PS3s are selling out all over the place where I live. Couldn't find one at a couple Walmarts. But damn, $600 and then Xbox might be $349 at Christmas. Wooooooooooooooow

So for this to make sense I'd say it'd have to go like this
-60GB for $499 and 80GB with Motorstorm for $599 from August till Christmas season (remaining 60GBs should be gone, or nearly gone)
After Christmas 80GB has Motorstorm removed and price drops back to $499 and includes rumbled controller (assuming it is introduced in September)

I STATED A SIMILAR THEORY EARLIER, THIS MAKES ALLOT OF SENSE TO ME, I AGREE MATT!!!:D:up:

Sony may be cocky and have made some poor choices early in this generation but their latest decisions and E3 presentation have seem to shown that they're learning more and adapting based on what consumers want. To make this type of decision now (amongst momentum) would be idiocracy at its worst

Sony may be cocky and have made some poor choices early in this generation but their latest decisions and E3 presentation have seem to shown that they're learning more and adapting based on what consumers want. To make this type of decision now (amongst momentum) would be idiocracy at its worst

Unless they drop the 80 gig to 499 after the 60 gig is phased out. :p

it's the only option that makes sense, if thats the case then so be it. Sony isn't hit as hard financially and people can still buy their $499 PS3

Just when I see a glimmer of hope on the horizon for you Sony, you go a f*** it up again.

Just when I see a glimmer of hope on the horizon for you Sony, you go a f*** it up again.

Potentially, I want to see how this whole thing plays out in the end. Better pick yours up quickly ;)

.... MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

They almost tricked me into buying one, too! You're clever Sony, pretty damn clever. ;)

Potentially, I want to see how this whole thing plays out in the end. Better pick yours up quickly ;)
I was gonna get mine when I move out next month, but I guess that's not gonna happen.

why not? It'll still be the same price

If the stores in that area still have some in stock, then it will.
If not...
I'll have to get the 80gig.

gotcha well theres about two million 60GB SKUs sitting on shelves around the world so you should be able to find one. If not wait a few more months and I'm sure the Motorstom-less 80GB will come to $499. (thats assumption of course, but no way Sony will ignore the success of the price drop right now)

Thank God my birthday is on the 30th of this month, I'm gonna get one by then. :up:

They also denied the phasing out of the 20GB PS3 long after everyone knew about it.

Well firesale or not I see no problem with it as long as they drop the price of the 80 gig and sell it standalone after this christmas/when the 60 gigs run out.

I definetly think they are phasing the 60gb out in order to include rumble controllers with an 80gb within the next 3 months.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26704

E3: No more 60GB PlayStation 3 in US after July, says Reeves
Illustration
Ellie Gibson 07:50 (BST) 13/07/2007

'All they're doing is taking their stock and marking the price down'

SCEE president David Reeves has told GamesIndustry.biz that the 60GB PlayStation 3 will no longer be available in the US after stock sells out - which he predicts will occur by the end of the month.

Reeves was speaking at an E3 event to announce the introduction of a new PS3 bundle in Europe. When asked about possible criticisms over whether SCEE should have given consumers the option to pay a lower price, as SCEA has done, he replied, "Well, they're not really are they, because what the US are offering from the 1st of August is a USD 599 version with one game.

"All they're doing is taking their stock in trade that they've got at the moment of the 60GB model, marking the price down and it will all be gone by the end of July."

When asked to clarify if this will mean the end of the 60GB model, Reeves answered, "In America, yes."

SCEA announced a USD 100 price cut for PlayStation 3 earlier this week. A new 80GB model will come bundled with a copy of Motorstorm and will retail for USD 599.

The full interview with Reeves is now on GamesIndustry.biz.

I'm speechless.

I was going to get my PS3 after I got my HDTV in a few months to.:csad:

LOL so they drop the price to get rid of the 60gig models, only to release an 80gig model for the same old price of 599.99. So, if you don't go out and get yourselves a 60 gig now, the price drop does you no good. LOL thats just funny irony.

LOL so they drop the price to get rid of the 60gig models, only to release an 80gig model for the same old price of 599.99. So, if you don't go out and get yourselves a 60 gig now, the price drop does you no good. LOL thats just funny irony.

not necessarily

Unless they drop the 80 gig to 499 after the 60 gig is phased out. :p
It's a possibility.

----------------

E3 2007: Confirmed -- PS3 Price Drop Temporary
Once the 60GB model is sold out we will be returned to our regularly scheduled price tag.
by Daemon Hatfield

showUSloc=(checkLocale('uk')||checkLocale('au'));document.writeln(showUSloc ? 'US, ' : '');US, July 13, 2007 - Ever since Sony announced it was dropping the price of the 60GB model by $100 to $499 earlier this week, there has been rampant speculation as to whether or not it would be a permanent price cut or a temporary one until supply of the model runs out. Today GamesIndustry.biz received confirmation from David Reeves, president of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, that the 60GB model will not be continued in Europe. But what about North America?

Senior Public Relations Manager for Sony Computer Entertainment America, Patrick Seybold, has substantiated this news to IGN: the 60GB will not be continued in North America, either. In effect, this means the $100 price drop is only temporary.

"The 60GB PS3 will be available in North America for $499 until supplies of that unit are depleted," Seybold said. "We have ample inventory to meet the immediate needs of consumers in this territory for several months to come. We won't be making any further announcements regarding our PS3 model hardware strategy in North America until the 60GB model is exhausted and market conditions are evaluated."

Seybold also shed some light on the company's plans for the older PSP model now that a redesign has been announced. Will it be phased out as well? Or receive its own price drop?

"The newly designed PSP will replace the original PSP design starting in September with the $169.99 PSP Core Pack and the $199.99 Daxter PSP Entertainment Pack."

----------------------------

They'll re-evaluate market conditions after the 60GB stock is depleted. If they do their re-evaluations properly they'll see $499 is the right price point. Especially if they see how much faster stock sells at this cheaper price.

I just assumed that by "re-evaluating market conditions", they meant that once they run out of the 60GB PS3s they already have made, they'll look to see which model is selling the most and drop the other.

This was what happened just a few months ago with the 20GB/60GB situation. Everyone noticed that they couldn't find any 20GB PS3s anymore, and that they weren't even on the Playstation Store anymore, yet Sony kept denying that they were phasing out the 2GB PS3. Then after a while they FINALLY announced that the 20GB was being discontinued after they re-evaluated the market and noticed that the 60GB PS3 was far outselling the 20GB PS3.

Well of COURSE it was! That's the only model that they were really making available to anyone!

So yeah, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if in a couple of months they say "well we ran out of our stock of 60GB PS3s, and when we re-evaluated the market, we saw that there was a much higher demand on the 80GB PS3, so we are announcing today that we will no longer be making the 60GB PS3"...and they won't drop the price.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I definitely see that happening.

Couldn't resist :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"