European PS3 Launch Pushed Back (March 2007)

Aran

Civilian
Reaction score
Press Releases

06/09/2006 06:40 Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Announces New March 2007 date for European Launch of PLAYSTATION 3

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Announces New March 2007 date for European Launch of PLAYSTATION 3
No change in launch date for Japan and North America

London, Wednesday 6 September 2006 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) today announced that it would revise the launch date of its PLAYSTATION® 3 computer entertainment system in the PAL territories of Europe, Russia, Middle East, Africa and Australasia from 17th November 2006, as previously announced to March 2007.
Launch dates for Japan and North America will remain the same, which are November 11th and November 17th respectively.
The revision of the launch date in the SCEE territories is caused by the delay in the mass production schedule of the blue laser diode within the Sony Group, thus affecting the timely procurement of key components to be utilised in PLAYSTATION 3.
The previously announced PLAYSTATION 3 shipment forecast of 6 million units globally within the fiscal year ending 2007 is not changed.

Notes to Editors:
For further information please contact:
Nick Sharples ([email protected])
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd
Tel: + 44 207 859 5301 Fax: + 44 207 859 5036

http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=4268&NewsAreaID=2

Well, Neither Sony or Microsoft could manage a true Worldwide Launch, is Nintendo planning on one as well? THey would probably stand the best chance.

Dear Sony,

Please get all of your bad news out of the way before Tokyo Game Show! :o

ROFLMAPOTATOES!!!!

:rolleyes:

I saw this coming a mile off and have been saying it since SONY announced their launch plans. :down

Its exactly the same as the PS2 and the PSone before that.

Yeah, Nintendo are planning a WW launch... Unline SONY or M$ they seem to have the capacity to deliver a true WW Launch.

The blue laser diode...

Well they've scrapped the worldwide launch and gone back to the 'normal' launch schedule. :o

All of the problems that the PS3 will have this next generation will be traced back to one thing, deciding that they absolutely just had to go with Blu Ray. That alone is the cause of all their problems, in terms of price and everything. It MIGHT be justified IF Blu Ray takes off. Though it is something that I wouldn't have followed through on were I the head of Sony. Though, we don't have access to all of their information.

Were it not for Blu Ray, Sony would have been walking into this generation LAUGHING.

*Waits for all the SONY FANBOYS that were all so vocal on how badly M$ screwed up the WW launch...*

Rubbish.

Oh well. I can't afford one at launch anyway. :(

I don't think you'll find anyone who disagrees that this is a worse screw up, if that's what you're implying.

The temptation to buy a 360 is so big now.:(
****ing sony.

It's only a 4 month delay. :o

peterfun1.jpg

I swear to god.. That kid of the left is stealing my soul :eek:

Freaky evil children.

Looks like SONY will be the last horse out of the gates this generation then.

I think im buying a Wii, how much does the thing cost?
i need to waste some time until the launch.

Topdawg said:
I think im buying a Wii, how much does the thing cost?
i need to waste some time until the launch.

We will know during the Wii events to be held in New York/Tokyo/London Next thursday. Expect between $175 and $250.

So anyway thats 500k for a world wide launch.

Keep in mind Microsoft's global launch was 1.5 million units, and there were still massive shortages.

Things could get really scary come launch day.... $2000 eBay PS3 anybody?

I am not surprised they did this. They probably want to focus on certain markets first with the back slash hte ps3 is already getting

It's just logical that people that would have bought a PS3 on launch day now instead buy a Wii. It's so cheap, they might aswell.

Its simply not going to be worth the headache getting one during the launch period now.

I am interested to see Nintendo's plans now.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Kinda put's sony's badmouthing of microsofts launch strategy into perspective doesn't. I've said from the start that 360 was the way to go and considering you can get a 360 and revolution for the same price as ps3 I really can't see how they'll bounce back from this one.

b26901250.jpg

Aran said:
Press Releases

06/09/2006 06:40 Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Announces New March 2007 date for European Launch of PLAYSTATION 3

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Announces New March 2007 date for European Launch of PLAYSTATION 3
No change in launch date for Japan and North America

London, Wednesday 6 September 2006 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) today announced that it would revise the launch date of its PLAYSTATION® 3 computer entertainment system in the PAL territories of Europe, Russia, Middle East, Africa and Australasia from 17th November 2006, as previously announced to March 2007.
Launch dates for Japan and North America will remain the same, which are November 11th and November 17th respectively.
The revision of the launch date in the SCEE territories is caused by the delay in the mass production schedule of the blue laser diode within the Sony Group, thus affecting the timely procurement of key components to be utilised in PLAYSTATION 3.
The previously announced PLAYSTATION 3 shipment forecast of 6 million units globally within the fiscal year ending 2007 is not changed.

Notes to Editors:
For further information please contact:
Nick Sharples ([email protected])
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd
Tel: + 44 207 859 5301 Fax: + 44 207 859 5036

http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=4268&NewsAreaID=2

Well, Neither Sony or Microsoft could manage a true Worldwide Launch, is Nintendo planning on one as well? THey would probably stand the best chance.

Dear Sony,

Please get all of your bad news out of the way before Tokyo Game Show! :o

SO........THE NEW 'ZENIEN' POSTS BAD NEWS ABOUT 'SONY'. VEEEERY EEENTERESTING. :dry:

Mentok said:
NORTH ANERICA AND JAPAN TO GET LIMITED NUMBERS OF CONSOLES ON LAUNCH...

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/06/north-american-japanese-ps3-launch-limited-to-500-000-units/

USA - 400k

JAPAN - 100k

Thats a big difference from the old 'We will ship 6 million by the end of 2006'. That number is now at 2 million and expected to drop further.

*EDIT*

The 6 Million was aparantly a dodgy translation :o

THEY CAN STILL SHIP 6 MILLION UNITS..........IF THEY EQUIP THEM WITH DVD DRIVES, AND DROP THE PRICE BY $200. :dry:

24.gif

I find it amusing that Sony has so much faith in Blu-Ray but it is causing the PS3 all kinds of trouble

this will kill blu-ray, the whole launch is based on ps3=cheap blu-ray player

:D :D :D :D :D

incidentally I just posted something on sony's ps3 forums about this and got banned for life 3minutes later, someone clearly has no sense of humour...

Mentok said:
Looks like SONY will be the last horse out of the gates this generation then.

BY A LONG SHOT (TO CONTINUE WITH THE HORSE RACING ANALOGY :o ).
IF YOU CONSIDER THAT IT WAS ORIGINALLY SUPPOSED TO HAVE LAUNCHED IN SPRING OF THIS YEAR (THOUGH MOST OF US......EXCEPT FOR 'ZENIEN'..... KNEW IT WOULDN'T HAPPEN), THAT'S A YEAR'S DELAY. :down

Good. Maybe Sony has learned that a worldwide launch was a bad idea.

hippie_hunter said:
Good. Maybe Sony has learned that a worldwide launch was a bad idea.

NO.......WORLDWIDE LAUNCH IS THE RIGHT IDEA. 'MS' PROVED IT CAN WORK, EVEN IF THERE ARE SOME HITCHES; BUT IT'S STILL BETTER THAN MAKING MAJOR TERRITORIES WAIT SEVERAL MONTHS LONGER THAN OTHERS.

WHAT I HOPE 'SONY' HAS LEARNED, IS THAT BETTING THE FARM ON NEW, UNPROVEN, UNTESTED TECHNOLOGIES, IS ASININE. BUT THEN AGAIN........THIS IS 'SONY', SO I DOUBT IT. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"