Psycho prequel series "Bates Motel"

And it's over. Well, it was a great ride. I'm torn on the ending. The original ending of Psycho is so classic (and the sequels aren't actually bad either), but I'm ok with what they did. I'm only sad they didn't answer a few questions.
Like when no one found the Doctor, and Dylan never found out about Caleb.

and also it seemed as if the police didn't find
Chick's body in the basement of the Bates house

and also it seemed as if the police didn't find
Chick's body in the basement of the Bates house

Umm yes they did. In the last episode (or maybe 2 episodes ago) they showed one of the coroners finding and photographing his body. He even calls out to the other investigators and police in the house saying something along the lines of he doesn't wanna brag but what he found has them all beat.

Last edited:
Damn, this episode hit me hard and had me in tears.

Bravo, Bates Motel. :(

Didn't think I would cry, but I did. As awesome as the ep was (heck, the whole series really), it would've been interesting to see how [BLACKOUT]Romero killing Norman[/BLACKOUT] would've turned out if it had gone to that point.

I thought the finale was very emotional. I was tearing up at the end with Dylan and Norman. What happened wasn't sad, so much as the refusal to see reality. Not wanting to see things, the way they are ,but as you'd like them to be. I can totally relate to that, so I saw a bit of myself there.

We never really saw what happened to the [blackout]doctor, right? We just knew that he disappeared? And that scene where Norman saw him is not even real because he disappeared way before that? [/blackout]

I totally lost it at the [blackout]Dylan and Norman scene and then when Norman was dying yet happy imagining him reuniting with Norma. Kudos to the show for making me think that it's Dylan who would die with all the foreshadowing.[/blackout]

Freddie and Vera have always been spectacular so it's no surprise but mad props to Max for bringing his A game at the Dylan/Norman scene. I really love his character. He definitely loved Norman and Norma more than they ever loved him. And yeah it sucks that [blackout]he didn't even find out about Caleb![/blackout]

Goodbye show. You are so terribly underrated. You and especially your acting deserved so much more recognition.

Last edited:
tumblr_ooyd0u3TLG1ro8niuo1_540.gif

tumblr_ooyd0u3TLG1ro8niuo2_540.gif

tumblr_ooyd0u3TLG1ro8niuo3_540.gif

tumblr_ooyd0u3TLG1ro8niuo4_540.gif
:csad:

I feel like the finale justified the show's choice in [blackout]giving Norman a brother[/blackout] in the first place. I've enjoyed [blackout]Dylan[/blackout] plenty, but he's always been such an outlier in the main story, separate from Norman/Norma a lot, involved in the crime subplots and such. I feel like this really made him fully necessary. You needed [blackout]someone to put an end to Norman for more of a reason than just slaying the monster. For it to be as powerful as it was, it needed to be someone that loved him too[/blackout].

Umm yes they did. In the last episode (or maybe 2 episodes ago) they showed one of the coroners finding and photographing his body. He even calls out to the other investigators and police in the house saying something along the lines of he doesn't wanna brag but what he found has them all beat.

thanks for the refresher on that, Bro... with so much other s**t to watch, the memory tends to get a bit faulty and forgetful on some things, at times... my bad and you are correct, sir... :funny:

thanks for the refresher on that, Bro... with so much other s**t to watch, the memory tends to get a bit faulty and forgetful on some things, at times... my bad and you are correct, sir... :funny:

No problem, hope my post didn't come across as rude cause it wasn't haha. Just was remembering that episode myself and how they did show that.

We never really saw what happened to the [blackout]doctor, right? We just knew that he disappeared? And that scene where Norman saw him is not even real because he disappeared way before that? [/blackout]

I totally lost it at the [blackout]Dylan and Norman scene and then when Norman was dying yet happy imagining him reuniting with Norma. Kudos to the show for making me think that it's Dylan who would die with all the foreshadowing.[/blackout]

Freddie and Vera have always been spectacular so it's no surprise but mad props to Max for bringing his A game at the Dylan/Norman scene. I really love his character. He definitely loved Norman and Norma more than they ever loved him. And yeah it sucks that [blackout]he didn't even find out about Caleb![/blackout]

Goodbye show. You are so terribly underrated. You and especially your acting deserved so much more recognition.

:up: I share a lot of the same sentiments. This show has also had some beautiful cinematography. Some really wonderfully shot scenes and sequences, lighting etc. Very underrated under the radar show.

No problem, hope my post didn't come across as rude cause it wasn't haha. Just was remembering that episode myself and how they did show that.

nah, it didn't come across as rude... and besides, I NEEDED that mindkick to refresh the old brain cells... they're almost reaching the endangered species list, at this point, LOL... thanks again, man...
icon14.gif

:waa:

I feel like the finale justified the show's choice in [blackout]giving Norman a brother[/blackout] in the first place. I've enjoyed [blackout]Dylan[/blackout] plenty, but he's always been such an outlier in the main story, separate from Norman/Norma a lot, involved in the crime subplots and such. I feel like this really made him fully necessary. You needed [blackout]someone to put an end to Norman for more of a reason than just slaying the monster. For it to be as powerful as it was, it needed to be someone that loved him too[/blackout].

Couldn't agree more.

With Highmore’s Norman being a more younger sympathetic Norman than the Perkins’ version. I didn’t expect this show to kill him off. However it was a fitting end. Losing Norma, who Norman had a more pleasant unorthodox mother/son relationship than in the films, only made him lose more of his already fractured mind. Poor guy couldn’t live normally without his mother. He’d either face the death penalty if he went to jail or plead insanity and face the rest of his life in an asylum, which Norman hates. So death was the only option for him to be free and with Norma again. It made it more tragic that Dylan provided the mercy killing, but Norman was too far gone at that point.

I found Season 5 to be a roller coaster of a season overall. Every character who died (Norman, Romero, Chick, Caleb) this season got their comeuppance. I was happy that Emma survived the show b/c of previous seasons I felt she was on borrowed time. Same goes for Dylan , who is now free from his crazy family raising a new (hopefully normal) family. I was mostly satisfied with how they ended the show. And will miss it. However I’m glad that we got proper closure. Instead of it getting cut short due to cancellation or running on fumes for 10 seasons like some shows.

Also I didn’t expect that f-bomb, but it would be Romero (or Norma) who would drop it on the show.

I was happy that Emma survived the show b/c of previous seasons I felt she was on borrowed time. Same goes for Dylan , who is now free from his crazy family raising a new (hopefully normal) family.

Agreed so much. If you asked me as late as last season, I would NEVER have believed that [blackout]both Dylan and Emma would survive and even have HEA. [/blackout] I'm pretty sure when the characters were first introduced, my first thought was [blackout]Future Norman/Norma victim![/blackout] :funny:

So, what's the most satisfying death for you guys?

The finale was perfect. It even eliminated most of my issues with the series and proves that the series is underrated. I liked that we didn't or the characters didn't get some closure on things like [blackout] Norman's doctor, Dylan and Rmma not finding out about Caleb, and even the town not knowing that Bradley didn't commit suicide.[/blackout] The only problem I had with this series was how they handled Marion. Well actually I liked how the story handled Marion, I didn't like how the behind the scenes handled Marion.

This being one of the few shows I watch that I haven't gotten so much as one season on DVD, I kind of hope they do a complete series set with some decent features.

I think Collider summed up my thoughts well

But whatever quibbles one might have had with the show over the years, Bates Motel wrapped up its final two seasons as one of TV’s most overlooked gems, not only because of its location on the dial (A&E rather than, say, AMC or FX) but also perhaps because of its horror flare, which rarely gets much attention. It consistently provided not only great entertainment and character-driven storytelling, but also two of the best and most striking performances on TV. No, not every season was great and not every storyline essential, but how many shows that go for 5 seasons can say otherwise? The strange, twisted relationship between Norma and her son Norman was infused with new life and complexity (and thankfully omitted the necrophilia from the book), and left us all with a unique and haunting show that may be the standard bearer for Pacific Northwestern Gothic. Isn’t that nice, Mother?

It was an imperfect show. I kinda fell in and outta watching it the last 2 seasons and I don't really see myself rewatching it. But it was very good. And they really REALLY deserve a lot of credit for taking one of the iconic film stories of all time and making a well-made, successful prequel/reimagining to it. That's no small task.

I really hope to see the actors more. I know Olivia Cooke is in Ready Player One and I've seen her on the short list for some projects, Farmiga will be fine, but I hope Theriot, Highmore, Carbonell get more/continue to get high profile roles after this

The realtor at the end of the finale was Jiao, the girl Norman found in Zack Shelby's basement in the first season.

Deadline says ABC is pretty hot for the pilot Freddie Highmore is starring in...

http://deadline.com/2017/04/pilots-2017-more-early-buzz-1202071998/
There might be a new hot surgeon on ABC next season, and it won’t be a new love interest for Grey’s Anatomy‘s Meredith. The network’s medical pilot The Good Doctor, from House creator David Shore, has been heating up, with Bates Motel‘s Freddie Highmore being buzzed about for his starring role as a young surgeon with Savant syndrome.

doesnt sound like my kind of thing. But good for him

I don't have access to the series in it's original run, so have always been playing catch up via DVD on the complete series and just literally finished last episode of Season 5 and it has been an incredible series with out of this world acting performances, (always rated Highmore, incredible actor) and the [BLACKOUT]subtle changes made in this last series to the 'cannon' of the original Bloch novel have worked IMO. [/BLACKOUT]

[BLACKOUT]Given the road they took from the start, it could only end in the way it did and incredibly brave to do so. [/BLACKOUT]

Just amazing television.

I was though waiting for [BLACKOUT]Chick's identity to be Robert Bloch.[/BLACKOUT]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"