Public Enemies

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=39908

Source: The Hollywood Reporter
December 4, 2007

The Hollywood Reporter says that Johnny Depp and Michael Mann will sit down this week to discuss teaming up for a film about the Depression-era crime wave.

Mann has long been interested in mounting a screen adaptation of Brian Burrough's nonfiction book "Public Enemies: America's Greatest Crime Wave and the Birth of the FBI, 1933-34" for Universal.

Mann -- who has considered taking the helm of Columbia's spy thriller Edwin A. Salt but has not committed to that project because he believes it needs a rewrite -- has an open slot. And Depp was to have starred in Warner/Initial Entertainment's Shantaram followed by Warner Independent's The Rum Diaries, but both of those projects were postponed last month.

The trade says Depp is said to be eyeing the role of bank robber John Dillinger. Along with Mann, Kevin Misher is on board as producer; Robert De Niro and his partner Jane Rosenthal, who originally optioned the book, have been involved as executive producers; and the studio is looking at a March start in Chicago if all the elements come together.

This sounds pretty interesting, especially with the Depression as a backdrop. I would definately check this out, if it is to be.

Michael Mann is always amazing (though he slipped a bit up on Miami Vice), and Johnny Depp is amazing in any film he's in. I'm stoked.

:up:

Depp as Dillinger would be so money

Fascinating era, great potential.
Not really a Depp fan but I think I can look pass it.

Nice team up.....Story sounds real good, im sure it will be awesome.

Variety said:
Bale on Depp's trail in 'Public'
Actors to face off in Michael Mann's 'Enemies'

Christian Bale is in negotiations to join Johnny Depp in Michael Mann's upcoming "Public Enemies."

According to a person familiar with the situation, Bale will play Melvin Purvis, the legendary FBI agent who led the manhunt for John Dillinger. Depp is starring as Dillinger in the pic, which is set up at Universal and is slated to begin production in March (Daily Variety, Dec. 6).

Mann is producing via his Forward Pass banner, with Kevin Misher and his Misher Films. Jane Rosenthal of Tribeca is exec producing.

I´m liking the sound of this even more now. :up:

Johnny Depp and Christian Bale in the same movie!?!? :wow:

It's about bloody time. :grin:

This sounds like the kind of movie that will get Oscar nominations. The Academy seems to love this crime stuff. IMO, Nobody deserves that more than Bale, Depp and Mann.

everything sounds great except michael mann........ i hated miami vice, and i fear this crime cop movie will suffer from the same elements.

im not interested

everything sounds great except michael mann........ i hated miami vice, and i fear this crime cop movie will suffer from the same elements.

im not interested

I agree. Depp and Bale are awesome. Michael Man...meh.

im not interested

He's done plenty of great movies. Every director has an oops.

im not interested

I take it you haven't seen 'Heat'? Or 'The Insider'? Or 'Collateral'? :yay:

Miami Vice is the only bad movie Mann has ever made, imo.

He's done plenty of great movies. Every director has an oops.

The only movies of his that I haven´t enjoyed that much were Ali and Miami Vice, but The Last of the Mohicans, Heat, The Insider and Collateral were all great. This one sounds very interesting so I´m really looking forward to it, even more now since Bale is apparently joining.

Michael Mann, Johnny Depp, and Christian Bale? Count ME IN!!!

Holy ****, Bale and Depp in the same movie? They're probably the 2 best actors of this generation, and the story sounds interesting aswell...

Too bad Mann is directing.

let me guess: Miami Vice?

He's done a ton of good movies. Good MAINSTREAM movies with that indie touch.

depp and bale in teh same f..... movie?
OMG its a dream.
mann is directing?
when..........when????????????

let me guess: Miami Vice?

He's done a ton of good movies. Good MAINSTREAM movies with that indie touch.

I think he's a bland director. Heat was good because of the actors, directing...not so much. Collateral was awful and Miami Vice had the same ****ty camcorder look. I think Mann gets way too much credit.

ok, saw this and i am super pee my pants excited over it!! say yes bale say yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"