Pulp Heroes

superman-mos

Civilian
Reaction score
I had a cool post with pics and everything but it didn't go through so I'm jus gonna do a quick one. I love old fashioned two fisted pulp heroes and they seem to be making a come back so here it goes...

Green Hornet/Britt Reid: George Clooney
Kato: Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa

Green Hornet/Britt Reid Jr : Jake Gyllenhal
Mulan Kato: Maggie Q

Dick Tracy: Jeffery Dean Morgan

Rocketeer: Scott Porter
Betty:Mary Elizabeth Winstead

Doc Savage : Chris Hemsworth

The Shadow ; Micheal Fassbender

The Spider:Josh Hartnett (google dynamites version)

Tarzan:Scott Speedman

John Carter: Taylor Kitsch

Buck Rogers: Matthew Fox

The Phantom: Tahmoh Penikett

You left out Flash Gordon. ;)

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of the golden-age pulps, but their movie versions have sadly never really taken root (except for the homages like Indiana Jones and The Mummy). Most of the characters you listed have already had film versions that were notorious bombs, many of them quite recently (Green Hornet, for instance; and John Carter comes out next year....already receiving some bad press in the previews).

I *do* seem to remember a Doc Savage movie in development, but again, unless it's done right, with the right cast and director and writer, pulps just don't attract modern audiences very much.

Yeah the ones that was made did blow a little....although i do have some love for the shadow,the phantom, and the rocketeer.I also thought green hornet was amusing but not the movie i wanted. ITS NOT THE ACTORS FAULT ON MOST OF EM ITS THE STUDIO/DIRECTOR. tarzan should be a serious epic and taken very serious. green hornet could take from the kevin smiths comic and feature a tale of a young man struggling to live up to his fathers legacy while making it his own. the phantom.....come on epic in a very tall order.

Yeah, I like the old pulps too. I've been waiting forever for Raimi to get off his ass and make that Shadow movie he promised us ages ago!
Your list is pretty good I'd rather Adrian Brody for The Shadow, though. Fassbender is The Spider.
Speaking of The Spider, if they did make a movie (And I doubt they ever will!) I'd rather they go with the original "Horror mask/Slouch hat" look. Hate the Dynamite costume...

yeah i say fassbender for shadow, jus something bout his face....he jus seems more like the shadow to me. Hartnett is a talented actor and i could jus see him as the spider, i like both versions i jus think the dynamite version looks less like the shadow.

also i think maybe armie hammer would make a good flash gordon.

i would love to see dynamites The Last Phantom adapted.

BAD-ASS MOVIE POSTERS THESE WOULD MAKE

http://www.brokenfrontier.com/userfiles/images/solicitations/2011/09_sep/de/PhantomAnn-cov-Ross.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ELtaRs4xPJU/TX5fYgohPrI/AAAAAAAAA84/IvhWnJAloP0/s1600/prv8037_pg3.jpg

Dick Tracy Won't happen cause Warren Beatty still own the film rights and he's sitting on them until it runs out then film something.

Last edited:
Agree with all listed.

Also not mentioned is Zorro, I'm pretty sure the Antonio Banderas incarnation by Amblin/Sonny has long ago run it's course.

The character especially the classic Diego De La Vega version is due for a full blown origin reboot. Since the latest incarnation and it's sequel only really focused on Diego De La Vega's(Anthony Hopkins) denouement, and instead the rise of Alejandro Murrieta(Antonio Banderas) as Zorro.

The as-yet filmed Isabelle Allende Zorro Novel expanded greatly on the never told Diego De La Vega origin. Kind of a year-one retelling of how Diego becomes Zorro, including elements like his mother - half Native American, how she met his father a Spanish Captain "defending" the Missions from her tribe, and how he (Diego) is torn between being equal parts of two worlds "old" and "new", "civilized"(meant to be ironic) and "untamed". His grand-mother (White-Owl) who sets him on a vision quest where he encounters his Spirit Guide, a small black Fox from who he takes his name, cunning and courage.

His training in Spain under the mysterious knights of the Justicia who give him a moral compass and a code of honor, and how to fight with The True Destreza ( look it up). To how he first met and named his horse Tornado and discovered the secret underground lair etc.. All of this is rife for being used in a movie. And most of it has never been explored in any of the films.

Not sure what's going on with Disney's Lone Ranger (which should also be on this list), but those Pirate guys could probably work the Zorro franchise too.

Also Philip Wylie's Gladiator original novel is long overdue for a movie.

And Burroughs' Pirates of Venus

Last edited:
Also not mentioned is Zorro, I'm pretty sure the Antonio Banderas incarnation by Amblin/Sonny has long ago run it's course.

The character especially the classic Diego De La Vega version is due for a full blown origin reboot. Since the latest incarnation and it's sequel only really focused on Diego De La Vega's(Anthony Hopkins) denouement, and instead the rise of Alejandro Murrieta(Antonio Banderas) as Zorro.

The as-yet filmed Isabelle Allende Zorro Novel expanded greatly on the never told Diego De La Vega origin. Kind of a year-one retelling of how Diego becomes Zorro, including elements like his mother - half Native American, how she met his father a Spanish Captain "defending" the Missions from her tribe, and how he (Diego) is torn between being equal parts of two worlds "old" and "new", "civilized"(meant to be ironic) and "untamed". His grand-mother (White-Owl) who sets him on a vision quest where he encounters his Spirit Guide, a small black Fox from who he takes his name, cunning and courage.

His training in Spain under the mysterious knights of the Justicia who give him a moral compass and a code of honor, and how to fight with The True Destreza ( look it up). To how he first met and named his horse Tornado and discovered the secret underground lair etc.. All of this is rife for being used in a movie. And most of it has never been explored in any of the films.

Not sure what's going on with Disney's Lone Ranger (which should also be on this list), but those Pirate guys could probably work the Zorro franchise too.

Hey, check out the front page! - http://www.superherohype.com/news/a...hires-writers?cpage=20#written_comments_title

I had a cool post with pics and everything but it didn't go through so I'm jus gonna do a quick one. I love old fashioned two fisted pulp heroes and they seem to be making a come back so here it goes...

Green Hornet/Britt Reid: George Clooney
Kato: Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa

Green Hornet/Britt Reid Jr : Jake Gyllenhal
Mulan Kato: Maggie Q

Dick Tracy: Jeffery Dean Morgan

Rocketeer: Scott Porter
Betty:Mary Elizabeth Winstead

Doc Savage : Chris Hemsworth

The Shadow ; Micheal Fassbender

The Spider:Josh Hartnett (google dynamites version)

Tarzan:Scott Speedman

John Carter: Taylor Kitsch

Buck Rogers: Matthew Fox

The Phantom: Tahmoh Penikett

Dick Tracy, the Rocketeer, the Phantom, the Shadow, Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon are not actually pulp heroes, they are all from comics except the Shadow, who originated on radio. But anyway, I love all these characters and Fassbender as the Shadow would be beyond perfect. Raimi is trying to make the movie, but he already made that movie in 1990 and it was called Darkman. I'd love to see Alex Proyas or Steven Norrington direct The Shadow.

they fit the mold my man....they fit the mold. Anyway I have also gotten into Dynamites The Bionic Man....and yes I know he isnt a pulp hero. I love the idea and concept and while I didn't really watch the tv show at all a few reruns here and there(considering i'm to young to have seen it new).I would love to see Josh Duhmel play it. I like the guy and he is a descent actor, he deserves more than romantic comedy hell

Marvel has their own Pulp hero called Night Raven that is inspired by The Shadow and The Spider.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Raven

It would be cool to see them do something with the character one day. Perhaps a guest arc in Agent's Of Shield like Ghost Rider or a show on Hulu, Netflix or Disney's new streaming network

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"