Q.Can a hero/heroine EVER be separated from their nationality/government??

Fantasyartist

Civilian
Reaction score
This is a question that has been intriguing me ever since I read the final panel of Iron Man#109, where Vanguard asks why an American would sacrifice their life for a Russian, the then Crimson Dynamo replies "possibly because the word HERO is separate from one's nationality".
It has taken on an added relevance with the virtual nationalisation of the Marvel's heroes(at least in the United States) due to the [passage of the Super Hero Registration Act (SHRA) and ths hort lived "Civil War" which ended with the surrender and ultimate assasination of Captain America. Henceforth, America's heroes are as much a part of the Governmental structure as the FBI, the IRS or the Armed Forces(personally I don't think this is a good idea but this is besides the point).
What do YOU think?

Terry

I think they can, yes. Cap has separated from the govt. on more than one occasion and continued being a hero. He's not the only one that has done it, either.

In regards to nationality, it can happen, too. It's up to the writers to make the story as to how well received and accepted they are by their "adopted country". Wolverine is Canadian, yet his stomping grounds are in the US. DC probably has the biggest examples of "expatriated" heroes: Superman, Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, Starfire, Power Girl, etc. They still do the right thing for the world as a whole without regard to their origin. The concept of a hero should put you above such petty distinctions as race, color or creed.

i thinki 'd have to agree with the dynamo[who btw i thought used the codename "airstrike"now]

Yes, I think it's possible for heroes to separate themselves from their government and nationality. But I don't think all of them can claim to be international symbols.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"