Questions about MCU Stormbreaker

HKpowerup

Civilian
Reaction score
Stormbreaker is without doubt my favourite weapon in the MCU, not just because of its power (second only to the IG) but how it looks with part of Groot as its handle, how it’s forged and the legacy behind it.

A few questions about Stormbreaker:

- In the comics was it often wielded by other heroes of similar power to Thor? E.g. Hulk & Captain Marvel? Or mostly by other similarly powerful Asgardians? I know only very powerful beings can carry Stormbreaker, as also implied by Thor in IW.

- Who do you think is most likely to end up wielding Stormbreaker other than Thor in future movies (assuming they go down this route)? It would be amazing to see Hulk use it!

I note Groot briefly carried it to create the handle for Thor, but it doesn't seem like he is powerful enough to use it without incurring side effects or damage.

As cool as it would be to see Captain America use it in the MCU, it should be way too powerful for someone at his level - in this way it increases the specialty / uniqueness of the weapon.

Last edited:
Stormbreaker is without doubt my favourite weapon in the MCU, not just because of its power (second only to the IG) but how it looks with part of Groot as its handle, how it’s forged and the legacy behind it.

- In the comics was it often wielded by other heroes of similar power to Thor? E.g. Hulk & Captain Marvel? Or mostly by other similarly powerful Asgardians? I know only very powerful beings can carry Stormbreaker, as also implied by Thor in IW.

- Who do you think is most likely to end up wielding Stormbreaker in future movies (assuming they go down this route)? It would be amazing to see Hulk use it!

I note Groot briefly carried it to create the handle for Thor, but it doesn't seem like he is powerful enough to use it without incurring side effects or damage.

As cool as it would be to see Captain America use it in the MCU, it should be way too powerful for someone at his level - in this way it increases the specialty / uniqueness of the weapon.

- Who do you think is most likely to end up wielding Stormbreaker in future movies (assuming they go down this route)? It would be amazing to see Hulk use it!

Beta Ray Bill wielded Stormbreaker in the comics, but it looked nothing like the MCU version and was basically a knock off Mjolnir as far as powers.

In the future I don't want to see anyone wield Stormbreaker, Mjolnir has already been wielded by multiple I'd like to see Stormbreaker remain exclusive to Thor.

MCU Stormbreaker takes its name from one weapon in the comics and its appearance from another but a lot of the awesome aspects of it are brand new for the films. There is no weapon in the comics which Thor makes by surviving the full force of a star out of desperation for something that can take on Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet. There actually isn't a more powerful replacement for Mjolnir at all in the comics and Groot doesn't provide the handle for any of Thor's weapons.

Since you're interested, in the comics:
  • Mjolnir has a similar look and powerset to the films but more extreme and unlike the MCU we never get a "you're just as powerful without Mjolnir" story. Thor keeps wielding Mjolnir once he becomes King and ends up more powerful than Odin was. Along with Thor, Captain America, Beta Ray Bill and Jane Foster have wielded it.
  • Stormbreaker is Beta Ray Bill's hammer which Odin made for him as a gift after he proved himself worthy. It's a golden hammer supposed to be just as powerful Mjolnir and nobody other than Bill has ever wielded it (not even Thor).
  • Ultimate Mjolnir is the Mjolnir of an alternate universe Thor, it's no more powerful but it's half hammer, half axe and looks almost identical to MCU Stormbreaker.
  • Jarnbjorn is the axe Thor wielded before he was worthy and he returned to using it after he lost Mjolnir. Thor enchanted it with his own blood so that it could cut through Celestial armour.
- Who do you think is most likely to end up wielding Stormbreaker other than Thor in future movies (assuming they go down this route)?

I don't think anyone else should wield it whilst Thor's still around.

Whenever Hemsworth decides to retire I hope
  1. Thor goes out in a blaze of glory (e.g. Ultimate Thor went out by dive tackling Galactus through a portal to the void between worlds); and
  2. Thor uses his last strength to put a "whosoever holds this hammer, if they be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor" enchantment on his hammer and throws it back to earth.
Maybe they'd just leave it there (the MCU has to end sometime) but If they do carry on and go down that road I'd back either Valkyrie or a Jane Foster style story.

I do like the idea of a mortal hero like a doctor/aid worker being worthy and of that mortal struggling with cancer whilst trying to take on the mantle of a God.

Last edited:

- Who do you think is most likely to end up wielding Stormbreaker other than Thor in future movies (assuming they go down this route)? It would be amazing to see Hulk use it!

I'm ok with Stormbreaker but i don't love it. I like what it stands for, how it was created, the massiveness and overall amazing capabilities. What i don't like so much is the way it looks. I feel it's very disproportionate and it's not a great overall design because they borrowed from several different weapons in the comics (Stormbreaker, Ultimate Mjolnir and Jarnbjorn) and it feels a bit of a mismatch.

For example i kind of like the way it looks as a Hot Toys figure, but the look in the movie is not up to par to that and i feel the CGI in the axe is a bit all over the place. I would have been happier if they had gone with a more faithful adaptation of either Ultimate Mjolnir or Jarnbjorn. I think i would actually prefer Jarnbjorn because the Groot handle would work and fit perfectly.

About you questions here is my 2 cents.

- As it was mentioned previously the MCU Stormbreaker is combination of several different weapons. Stormbreaker in the comics is Beta Ray Bill's weapon, its a much smaller and more like the size of mjolnir, it's golden, has 2 sides, a round hammer side and a sharp edge. It's wielded by BRB because Odin made it for him. BRB is equally as powerful as Thor basically.

- I would say that since it's called Stormbreaker and BRB was already hinted at in the MCU, that it would stand to reason that at some point BRB will end up wielding it. It makes sense. Stormbreaker doesn't have a worthiness enchantment so basically anyone extremely powerful can wield it. I suspect Captain Marvel will use it in A4 like Vision used Mjolnir against Ultron in AOU.

Groot just helped put the weapon together, i wouldn't look too much into it... It was his role.

Cap will likely use Mjolnir in A4 as it has been leaked in some reports. It makes more sense for Cap to wield Mjolnir because of the whole AOU angle when he could actually move it a bit... Mjolnir had a worthiness enchantment but i don't think it was a weapon similar to Stormbreaker which seems to really possess darkness in it because of the level of power it holds.

For the MCU Stormbreaker I want it to act differently to Mjolnir in terms of who is able
to carry it. Mjolnir requires that the holder be worthy enough and I would like Stormbreaker to be wieldable by anyone with sufficient power/durability, and in a similar ballpark to Thor. But they don’t need to be worthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"