WandaVision Ranking WandaVision in relationship to the MCU films

writer0327

Sidekick
Reaction score
If Wandavision was a film, where would you rank it in terms of the overall MCU? Better than CA:CW? Worse than Dr. Strange? On par with AM&TW?

I rank it at #13, above GOTG v2 (#14) and below Ant-man (#12). It feels middle of the road. Not bad, but not on that IW, CA:WS or Ragnarok level. Simply a good addition, but doesn't quite reach top 10.

But you can't really rate it as a film because it's made precisely as episodic TV and divided into little sections for each era.

As a superhero film it wouldn't really work in its existing format. It's written as a non standard MCU story and as a sitcom/ mystery rather than as a typical action show. If you were looking at it as a regular Marvel film and comparing it to all the others, of course it wouldn't seem to compare or match up. But that would be like comparing Endgame with an episode of Bewitched or Malcolm in the middle. It's too much like apples to oranges.

You could probably more easily compare Falcon and the Winter Soldier to the other films. But you have to look at WandaVision for what it is as a TV series and largely a sitcom homage.

If you were comparing on their own merits just as stories rather than as superhero stories or superhero films then it would be like comparing which is the better film just like the Oscars. But if you judged an Oscar best picture winner like say, the Godfather or the Sound of Music on how good they are as comic book films, well they wouldn't measure up at all.

On the basis purely as an overall story and how entertaining it is in its own right, I'd put WandaVision in the top 10 easily.

It's hard to rank movies and TV shows by the same standards. I'd say above GOTG 2 but worse than GOTG 1.

Honestly its hard to rank even just the movies, since there are so many of them, so many of them are extremely good, and yet also really really *different*. Past a certain point, distinguishing quality is impossible, because any differences in actual quality pale before the subjective preference of topic and style. Or, me liking Winter Soldier best, because I like tales of unwavering paladin boyscouts, does not automatically make Winter Soldier a better movie than Guardians of the Galaxy. It just makes it one that is more appealing to me specifically.

On the basis purely as an overall story and how entertaining it is in its own right, I'd put WandaVision in the top 10 easily.
I guess this is what I'm asking. Based on a piece of entertainment, where does it fall in relation to the rest of the MCU?

Its not an easy thing to do (rank a tv series against movies) but I can certainly try.
A:IW 10.0
CW 10.0
A:EG 10.0
TA 10.0
TWS 9.5
GotG2 9.5
GotG 9.0
DS 9.0
IM 9.0
SM:H 9.0
T:R 9.0
SM:FFH 9.0
AoU 8.5
WandaVision (season high - episode 8 - this episode truly feels like the MCU. it is emotional, it fleshes out Wanda in meaningful ways. I liked it quite a bit.)
TIH 8.5
BP 8.0
IM2 8.0
AM 8.0
WandaVision (season average)
AM&W 8.0
CM 8.0
IM3 7.5
TFA 7.5
Thor 7.0
WandaVision (season low - episode 1 - to me this episode does not stand alone in anyway, it is incredibly obvious to me why they released the first two back to back. it is quite boring and my first watch through i skipped ahead 2 or 3 minutes.)
T:TDW 6.5

I'd rank it just short of my top 10, between Homecoming and Cap 1.

1. Avengers: Endgame
2. Avengers: Infinity War
3. Guardians of the Galaxy
4. The Avengers
5. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
6. Thor: Ragnarok
7. Captain America: Civil War
8. Iron Man
9. Black Panther
10. Spider-Man: Homecoming
11. WandaVision
12. Captain America: The First Avenger