• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ranking the MCU films, Past and Future

Protar

Civilian
Reaction score
Just for fun thought I'd rank the current MCU movies, and rank my anticipation of the upcoming ones. With a quick TLDR list, and then some general thoughts which may be quite long. I have not read the comics. Feel free to post your own rankings as well of course :)

Current Rankings:
1. Captain America: Winter Soldier
2. Avengers:
3. Iron Man
4. The Incredible Hulk
5. Captain America: The First Avenger
6. Thor
7. Thor: The Darkworld
8. Iron Man 3
9. Guardians of the Galaxy
10. Iron Man 2.

Anticipation Levels:
1. Infinity War Part 1
2. Infinity War Part 2
3 Civil War
4. Inhumans
5. Captain Marvel
6. Avengers: Age of Ultron
7. Thor Ragnarok
8. Black Panther
9. Spiderman
10. Doctor Strange
11. Ant Man
12. Guardians of the Galaxy 2

To elaborate on my current rankings: Winter Soldier is probably a pretty common number one, I just think it did a great job of reinventing Captain America in the modern day, and providing a huge shake up of the MCU. I had a hard time placing it above Avengers, but I think it just makes it.

Avengers comes second, and I was tempted to just put it at the top by default, regardless of the quality of any of the other movies. I think you can't really judge the Avengers just as 2 and half hours of cinema, it's also the culmination of the entirety of phase 1, and will ever be proof of concept for the scale of the MCU.

Iron Man gets in at number three, partially for sheer nostalgia points. There could be no more perfect start to the MCU, and the other Iron Man films don't even touch this films boots.

Those are the big three, the real gems of the MCU. After that my rating of the films goes down a fair bit. I love all the Marvel films though. Hulk surprised me, but I genuinely feel it should be put at number four. It's like the forgotten Marvel movie - so divorced in cast, plot and tone from the rest of the MCU that I barely think about it. But when I do I realise that I really liked it. I liked it's darker, low key tone. I think it's a cult classic of sorts.

Cap gets the mediocre number 5 spot. I felt it was decent, not brilliant. The Thor movies come in next, I've never been too keen on Thor. Perhaps it's just all a little too wacky and hammy for me or something. Thor 1 edges out Dark World, simply because I just feel like Dark World failed to add anything new to the formula.

Iron Man 3 was imo, just a traditional, rather mindless action flick. Nothing special but watchable. Then there's Guardians. I must be honest I didn't care for Guardians. It lacked character development and the ensemble cast didn't click in the same way the Avengers did. And without that central pillar of characterisation, the wacky setting fell flat for me.

And in last place comes Iron Man 2. I feel maybe we're a little unfair on Iron Man 2, it's often derided. And maybe that's because it was squished in the middle of phase 1 and was sort of forgotten. But ultimately an uncompelling pair of villains leaves it in last place.

Now that said I like all the Marvel films. None are bad films. But the only real gems are the top 3 on my list.

Last edited:
As for my anticipation levels: Well to start off I'm very excited about all the upcoming films.

The Infinity War films come out on top, but strangely I'm slightly more eager to see Part 1. As cool as it will be seeing the inclusion of a decade of movies, I'm very interested to see a brand new team of Avengers. Can they recreate the magic of Avengers One with a new cast?

I'm very excited for the new Phase 3 IPs - Inhumans, Captain Marvel, Black Panther and Doctor Strange. These are going to be the pillars of the MCU going forwards as the older actors finish their contracts. So in a way I'm more excited for the sequels in Phase 4. Anyway, Inhumans and Captain Marvel are on top out of this lot, simply because Inhumans opens up a whole new avenue of the MCU, with a Game of Thrones style fantasy/intrigue blend. And Captain Marvel, aside from being the first female lead film just seems like a total bad ass. Essentially the Superman of the MCU. Slotting her between the IW films intrigues me very much.

I didn't quite know where to put AoU, so I put it in the middle. It's sort of like I've already had most of my excitement. I'm just looking beyond it now towards Phase 3. And I must admit I'm apprehensive about the amount of characters and plot lines being crammed into it. But it's immediacy makes it more exciting.

Thor Ragnarok has been advertised as the Winter Soldier for Phase 3. If it manages to shake up the MCU in the same way, I'll love it, even though I don't care for Thor much.

Black Panther is exciting as the first black lead film, but I don't really know what T'chala adds in terms of opening up new stories for the MCU as a whole. My apprehension towards Strange is kind of the opposite. He's taking us into a very bizarre avenue of the MCU, and as the last time they did that in GotG fell flat (to me), I'm cautious. But optimistic Cumberbatch can pull it off.

Just edging out my excitement for Strange is Spiderman. I think that I'm very immediately excited because the Spiderman news dropped just a few days ago. But ultimately we've had a lot of Spidey lately and it seems unlikely that he will tie into the bigger picture much yet.

And then there's Ant-man and GotG 2. Ant-man is just like a wait and see thing for me, though I have an almost hipsterish interest in it just because it seems to undersold. And due to my relative dislike of Guardians, I am least excited about the sequel.

Haven't seen them all and don't ever plan on watching them all tbh but this is how I'd rank the ones that I have seen:

Iron Man
Captain America: The First Avenger
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor
The Avengers

I'd actually only consider the first 2 to be good. The rest were mediocre with The Incredible Hulk and The Avengers both being especially disappointing.

You accidentally said Civil War on your current list and then left it off of your anticipated.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Captain America: The First Avenger
Iron Man 2
Iron Man
Iron Man 3
The Avengers

Inhumans
Captain America: Civil War
Captain Marvel
Black Panther
Ant-Man
Doctor Strange
Spider-Man
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Avengers: Infinity War Part 1
Avengers: Infinity War Part 2
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Thor: Ragnarok

Liked:

Iron Man
Captain America The Winter Soldier

Ok:
Avengers - border between liked and ok
The Incredible Hulk
Thor
Captain America First Avenger

Meh:
Thor 2

Anticipated:
Black Panther
Captain America Civil War
I suppose Spider-Man counts now, eh
Avengers Infinity War look nice

Others are wait and see

So I did. Meant Winter Soldier in my first list, and in my second I'd put Civil War just below Infinity Wars.

On a related note, it's kind of crazy to think that in the next 3 years Marvel will release more films than they have released in the past 7 years.

Top 5
Cap TWS
Iron Man
Cap TFA
Avengers
Incredible Hulk

Top 5 Anticipated
Black Panther
Cap: Civil War
Infinity War 1 & 2
Doctor Strange
Age of Ultron

Top 5
Cap TWS
Iron Man
Cap TFA
Avengers
Incredible Hulk

Top 5 Anticipated
Black Panther
Cap: Civil War
Infinity War 1 & 2
Doctor Strange
Age of Ultron

We have very similar lists! The only thing I would change is I would take TIH out of the first list and replace it with Guardians.

yay, a ranking thread. I wonder why no one ever did one like that

Liked:

Guardians of the Galaxy
Iron Man
THOR
Captain America

Meh:

Iron Man 2
Avengers

Blurgh:

Iron Man 3
THOR The Dark World
The Incredible Hulk

Anticipated:
The Inhumans
Spider-Man
Black Panther

1. The Avengers
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
3. Iron Man
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Captain America: The First Avenger
6. Iron Man 3
7. Thor: The Dark World
8. The Incredible Hulk
9. Iron Man 2
10. Thor

1. Avengers: Infinity War Part 2
2. Captain America: Civil War
3. Avengers: Age of Ultron
4. Thor: Ragnarok
5. Inhumans
6. Ant-Man
7. Black Panther
8. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
9. Captain Marvel
10. Avengers: Infinity War Part 1
11. Doctor Strange
12. Spider Man

Current rankings:

1. Iron Man(I still say it's the best superhero film I've ever seen and it surprised me more than any other SH film to date with it's quality)
2. The Avengers
3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
4. Captain America: The First Avenger
5. Iron Man 2
6. Iron Man 3
7. Thor
8. Guardians of the Galaxy
9. Thor: The Dark World
10. The Incredible Hulk

Anticipation rankings of what's coming up:

1. AoU
2. Ant-Man
3. Civil War
4. Dr. Strange
5. Black Panther
6. Captain Marvel
7. Inhumans
8. Thor: Ragnarok
9. Infinity War 1 & 2
10. Spider-man reboot
11. GotG 2

1.) IM3
2.) TA
3.) TWS
4.) IM
5.) GOTG
6.) Thor
7.) TDW
8.) TFA
9.) IM2
10.) TIH

Anticipation ranking:

1.) Dr Strange
2.) AoU
3.) Ant-Man
4.) BP
5.) GOTG2
6.) T:R
7.) Inhumans
8.) IW2
9.) CM
10.) CW
11.) IW1
12.) S-M

Great:
1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2. Iron Man 3
3. Iron Man

Good:
4. Captain America: The First Avenger

Meh:
5. Guardians of the Galaxy
6. The Incredible Hulk
7. Iron Man 2
8. Thor: The Dark World
9. Thor

Bad:
10. The Avengers

Anticipation:
1. Captain Marvel
2. Captain America: Civil War
3. Inhumans
4. Spider-man reboot
5. Infinity War 1 & 2 (if the Russos are indeed directing)
6. Black Panther
7. Age of Ultron
8. Dr. Strange
9. Thor: Ragnarok
10. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
11. Ant-Man

Expected top 5 by the end of Phase 3:

1. Captain Marvel
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
3. Captain America: Civil War
4. Iron Man 3
5. Spider-man reboot

Last edited:
^Is Civil War getting split?

Current:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. Iron Man 3
3. Thor
4. The Incredible Hulk
5. The Avengers
6. Iron Man
7. Thor: the Dark World
8. Iron Man 2

I'm looking forward to Dr Strange more so than anything else on Marvel's slate.

Current:
1. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. The Avengers
3. Thor: The Dark World
4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
5. Thor
6. Iron Man
7. Iron Man 2
8. Captain America: The First Avenger
9. The Incredible Hulk
10. Iron Man 3

Anticipated
1. The Avengers: Infinity War - Part 2
2. Thor: Ragnarok
3. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
4. The Avengers: Infinity War - Part 1
5. The Avengers: Age of Ultron
6. Black Panther
7. Captain America: Civil War
8. Captain Marvel
9. Dr. Strange
10. The Inhumans
11. Spider-Man
12. Ant-Man

If Thanos isn't in Thor 3 or GOTG 2 then I would trade Thor: Ragnarok and the first Infinity War movie's spots for each other (Thanos is my favorite Marvel character).

Last edited:
Most Anticipated

Thor: Ragnorak - If they can learn from the mistakes of the first two films (and figure out what to do with Natalie Portman), then this should be awesome. The amount of confidence they are putting behind it by saying it'll be the Winter Soldier of Phase 3 makes me feel very hopeful.

Doctor Strange - Guardians of the Galaxy opened us up to space, and I hope this will do the same thing with magic/mysticism.

Least Anticipated

Captain America: Civil War - There's just something about this production that is starting to make me feel queasy. Will it still be Captain's film if he has so many costars? Will Iron Man and Captain America's conflict feel real or gimmicky? It just feels like they might be biting off more than they can chew.

The Avengers: Infinity War Part 2 - Like Civil War, I want this to be awesome, but announcing it out this far ahead of time makes me uneasy. Will Marvel Studios be willing to change course if fans don't react the way they hoped? I also hope Parts 1 and 2 work as their own films, rather than feeling like one five-hour movie split apart by a year.

It's difficult for me to rank them because I love/like them all,but here it is:

The Avengers
Captain America:The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy

Thor:The Dark World
Iron Man
Thor
Iron Man 3
Captain America:The First Avenger

The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2

Then(subject to change):
Avengers:Age of Ultron
Thor:Ragnarok
Captain America:Civil War
Avengers:Infinity War part 1-2
Spider-Man
Doctor Strange
Ant-Man
Black Panther
The Inhumans
Captain Marvel

Its too hard for me to rank them all. (Though I will say that Avengers has been my favorite so far.) So I will rank them by Phase.

Phase 1:
Avengers
Cap:TFA
Iron Man
Thor
IM 2
TIH

Phase 2:
Iron Man 3
Guardians of the Galaxy
Thor 2

Haven't seen them all but here's my list.

1) Captain America: TWS
2) Captain America: TFA
3) Iron Man
4) The Avengers
5) Iron Man 2
6) Thor
7) The Incredible Hulk

I'm surprised to see some folks here rank Avengers so low. I thought I'd be the only one :funny:

Most anticipated? Um...Probably Civil War and potentially Spiderman, though both of them are kind of in the "wait and see" category given the recent announcement. I'll most likely see Age of Ultron, but nothing else is grabbing my attention yet.

If I grade these on a scale:

A: Thor, CA: TWS, GoTG
B: Avengers
C: Iron Man 3, CA: TFA
F: Thor 2
Ungraded due to being forgotten: IM1, IM2, TIH

Honourable mention:
Ang Lee's The Hulk, grade: A.

Guardians of the Galaxy
Iron Man
The Avengers