• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Real Talk 56: Storm has never been written to maximize her true potential.

Jplaya2023

Superhero
Reaction score
She was always in the backgroun in x-men. She didnt have the backstory of Logan. She was very underestimated in her leadership capabilities, although she was second to command behind cyclops. But she should of been the leader of the x-men. She is just as good as leader as cyclops and MUCH stronger than cyclops and would anniliate him in an instant.
Lets take a look at her abilities again.
When Len Wein and Dave Cockrum created Storm in 1975, they designed her as a mutant with the psionic ability to control the weather, especially with the gift to summon her eponymous storms. When using her powers, artists have consistently depicted that her eyes illuminate a white color and aura.
Subsequent writers have made liberal use of her weather manipulating powers. Marvel.com states that she can control wind, lightning, summon all manner of precipitation, reduce the temperature of her environment and fly at high speeds. Her powers also work the other way, enabling her to calm all weather precipitations. Storm is also portrayed as highly immune to the effects of all weather, most notably lightning and extreme heat and cold, and she can alter her visual perceptions so as to see the universe as multi-colored energy patterns and the factors behind weather. Her abilities are limited by her willpower and strength of her body, and she cannot summon completely unnatural precipitations.[31]
Ever since Chris Claremont established her backstory in Uncanny X-Men #102 (December 1976), Storm is consistently portrayed as a skilled thief and a gifted hand-to-hand fighter. She is fluent in both Arabic and Swahili. Storm always carries with her a set of lock-picks and her ancestral ruby, which is capable of inter-dimensional transportation with the help of Ororo's lightning.[31]
In a nutshell, she can transverse dimensions, control weather on a cosmic level, can fly at super speeds, telekenisis, and can see universal multiple dimensional color schemes at the highest level.
But she is never written correctly IMO. In her battles all she has to do is fly to the sky and zap her opponent with lightning mixed with a strong wind dose while making the outside extremely cold.
She is basically kazou (from naruto) but with the ability to fly and transverse dimensions instantly.

but those kind of power definitions change all the time- you're saying she's omega where nothing i have seen has indicated that-i don't think ive ever seen her control the weather of the whole cosmos.

sorry but storm has been fairly written. She grew from the meekest member into the teamleader during their most popular times

04nbod said:
but those kind of power definitions change all the time- you're saying she's omega where nothing i have seen has indicated that-i don't think ive ever seen her control the weather of the whole cosmos.

a slight hyperbole

Storm's one of the greatest leaders the X-men have ever had. The most outspoken by far, And most caring if not Jean. We already know she's one of the most powerful mutants on earth, and even then, she doesn't even NEED her powers to be a great character. Storm has been written faily in IMO. And if we're lucky, we'll see more of the powerful woman she is.

Jplaya2023 said:
She was always in the backgroun in x-men. She didnt have the backstory of Logan. She was very underestimated in her leadership capabilities, although she was second to command behind cyclops. But she should of been the leader of the x-men. She is just as good as leader as cyclops and MUCH stronger than cyclops and would anniliate him in an instant.

You're sorely mis-informed yet again. Ororo BEAT Scott once for X-Men leadership. She's also been team leader and leader of the Morlocks at the same time. She had her own team when the X-Men split into blue and gold teams. She took on the leader role in X-Treme X-Men many times.

Jplaya2023 said:
In a nutshell, she can transverse dimensions, control weather on a cosmic level, can fly at super speeds, telekenisis, and can see universal multiple dimensional color schemes at the highest level.
But she is never written correctly IMO. In her battles all she has to do is fly to the sky and zap her opponent with lightning mixed with a strong wind dose while making the outside extremely cold.
She is basically kazou (from naruto) but with the ability to fly and transverse dimensions instantly.

Ororo can't control weather on a cosmic scale, she can't even do it on a planetary scale. She also needs some kind of atmosphere to user her powers. It's been SPECULATED that her powers might be some kind of specialized telekinesis, IT'S NOT TRUE TELEKINESIS. Most of the time her powers are seen as some kind of energy control which is where her ability to see energy patterns comes in, it's not "multiple dimensional color schemes". There was an X-Men Unlimited where she lost control her powers and they delved a bit deeper on how she can resist adverse weather effects, her body raises or lowers her temperature. Since they were in the arctic her body got stuck on heating itself even when unconscious, she was literally running a very high fever that was killing her.

Why doesn't Ororo do more devastating attacks with her powers? Because the weather system is balanced, what she does in one place disturbs the weather miles away. I even read once that it was kind of like the Butterfly Effect, getting rain for her immediate vecinity could cause a draught half a hemisphere away. That's why she keeps her powers contained to small effects and why she always has to control her emotions since it affects the weather around her.

IMO, she's written correctly. It seems more to me that you don't know enough about the character and that's why you say that she isn't written to her full potential.

Tropico said:
You're sorely mis-informed yet again. Ororo BEAT Scott once for X-Men leadership. She's also been team leader and leader of the Morlocks at the same time. She had her own team when the X-Men split into blue and gold teams. She took on the leader role in X-Treme X-Men many times.

Yeah but he was made to lose that fight. He was under some type of mind control from what i can remembe

Ororo can't control weather on a cosmic scale, she can't even do it on a planetary scale. She also needs some kind of atmosphere to user her powers. It's been SPECULATED that her powers might be some kind of specialized telekinesis, IT'S NOT TRUE TELEKINESIS. Most of the time her powers are seen as some kind of energy control which is where her ability to see energy patterns comes in, it's not "multiple dimensional color schemes". There was an X-Men Unlimited where she lost control her powers and they delved a bit deeper on how she can resist adverse weather effects, her body raises or lowers her temperature. Since they were in the arctic her body got stuck on heating itself even when unconscious, she was literally running a very high fever that was killing her.

According to her PL level chart she should be able to control it on a cosmic scale, but because how she's written she's always been held back

Why doesn't Ororo do more devastating attacks with her powers? Because the weather system is balanced,

Because she is written incorrectly

IMO, she's written correctly. It seems more to me that you don't know enough about the character and that's why you say that she isn't written to her full potential.

IMO there is much more improvement for Storm. She should realistically never lose a fight sense she has masters control of all the elements pertaining to the weather

Storm was written greatly in X-Men, not so much in her more current book: Black Panther and jplaya, stop acting like you know comics because you know jack s**t.

She was an X-men leader and she is one of the strongest mutants.:huh:

Jplaya2023 said:
Yeah but he was made to lose that fight. He was under some type of mind control from what i can remembe

Cyclops was in control of himself as far as I know, unless some later story said otherwise (have the comic in front of me, believe it's the one with an old Toys'R US give away on the front lol).

At that point in time Storm had lost her powers completely, and Cyclops was worried about Madelyne Prior so as Wolverine commented, his heart wasn't fully in it.

Storm without her powers defeated Cyclops who could use his by using the surrounding torn up street type area the Danger Room brought up. She used her belt, hiding places, and even used his own arm to block him from blasting. In the end she took his visor, and Cyclops had to give up in fear of blasting everyone around him.

FadingCB said:
Cyclops was in control of himself as far as I know, unless some later story said otherwise (have the comic in front of me, believe it's the one with an old Toys'R US give away on the front lol).

At that point in time Storm had lost her powers completely, and Cyclops was worried about Madelyne Prior so as Wolverine commented, his heart wasn't fully in it.

Storm without her powers defeated Cyclops who could use his by using the surrounding torn up street type area the Danger Room brought up. She used her belt, hiding places, and even used his own arm to block him from blasting. In the end she took his visor, and Cyclops had to give up in fear of blasting everyone around him.

change your sig already its non canon

Jplaya2023 said:

So what? Didn't she earn leadership? You were the one arguing that she wasn't a leader. And I gave you all those other instances when she's been a leader. What about that? Are you still going to say she wasn't a leader?

Jplaya2023 said:
According to her PL level chart she should be able to control it on a cosmic scale, but because how she's written she's always been held back

PL level? What's that? Power Level level? I think your problem is that you're thinking that the stats in whatever publication determine how a character is supposed to be written. It's the writing that determines how strong or weak a character is, not the other way around. So if she has never been shown as having cosmic level weather control the one that is wrong is whatever stats they gave her, not the other way around.

Jplaya2023 said:
Because she is written incorrectly
Jplaya2023 said:
IMO there is much more improvement for Storm. She should realistically never lose a fight sense she has masters control of all the elements pertaining to the weather

I've already told you, if she does whatever she wants with the weather it'll cause more devastation than good. She knows what the consequences are, she's not Wolverine or the Hulk to go around causing wanton destruction. It's her character to be reserved and in tune with nature, so much as to NOT WANT IT'S DESTRUCTION. She's one of the few characters that's written consistently.

From what I've seen of your posts and other comments it looks like you look at a character's stats instead of their history. Stats don't make a character, it's what's written, their history that makes them what they are and what's used most of the time to determine what the stats will be. Just because a character isn't written how YOU would like them to be written mean that they're badly written.

I love lurking in a Jplaya thread... he pisses everyone off.

It is fun, isn't it? Although, I still don't see how she can "transverse dimensions"... by using the weather...

KevanG said:
It is fun, isn't it? Although, I still don't see how she can "transverse dimensions"... by using the weather...

re read the canon posted

I re-read all the posts and nowhere does it say that she can tranverse dimensions. Canon isn't canon unless it has some sort of background and history behind it. You can't just make stuff up and call it canon. At least show some scans or reliable sources to back it up a bit, ok?

Storm can be underused, but she generally is treated as a core member of the team, and one of its most powerful members, even if writers don't always take advantage of that.

Tropico said:

Why doesn't Ororo do more devastating attacks with her powers? Because the weather system is balanced, what she does in one place disturbs the weather miles away. I even read once that it was kind of like the Butterfly Effect, getting rain for her immediate vecinity could cause a draught half a hemisphere away. That's why she keeps her powers contained to small effects and why she always has to control her emotions since it affects the weather around her.

This was very informative. Good stuff. :up:

Jplaya2023 said:
change your sig already its non canon

My sig is only 'non canon' because you edited your original post to make it look like CBG said what you said.

Still funny tho, supply me with new 'canon' material and I'll be happy to change my sig :).

i think shes been written fine,I dont put her down as a power house of a mutant because there are mutants who can do better with her powers,she can manipulate the weather to make it snow right? well ice man can do it better,alot better.She can fly at high speeds,so can dozens of mutants,alot better and often without them having to be carried by the wind.She can make tornados.....so can whirl wind...anyways,im just saying she needs certain factors to use her powers to higher extents,she cant just make weather she works withit and beyond that,if she needs to make a somthing happen,it elimates other things from happening,she has to go cold storm,she cant summon a heat wave without canceling her first storm out you know? but other mutants dont have to worry about this kind of thing.

ang_hulk said:
i think shes been written fine,I dont put her down as a power house of a mutant because there are mutants who can do better with her powers,she can manipulate the weather to make it snow right? well ice man can do it better,alot better.She can fly at high speeds,so can dozens of mutants,alot better and often without them having to be carried by the wind.She can make tornados.....so can whirl wind...anyways,im just saying she needs certain factors to use her powers to higher extents,she cant just make weather she works withit and beyond that,if she needs to make a somthing happen,it elimates other things from happening,she has to go cold storm,she cant summon a heat wave without canceling her first storm out you know? but other mutants dont have to worry about this kind of thing.

Ya I agree that she's been written fine. She's been decently fleshed out, and had a good history. Not sure I can think of too many women team leaders before Storm let alone black women (at that time). She always seemed strong and confident, and had a few flaws (like being clausterphobic) to make her feel human. She led the X-Men, and now is Queen of the most technologically advanced country on the Marvel Earth.

Most characters in team books are lucky to get half as far as Storm has IMO. I'd find it hard to think of X-Men without Storm, and not just because of her powers.

Storm sucks. The character has never done anything for me. Her powers are lame too. Exactly what part of her body mutated to allow her power over weather? The weather receptors in her brain?:whatever: Good mutant powers are ones that, you know, are at least somewhat believable:o

Not Jake said:
Storm sucks. The character has never done anything for me. Her powers are lame too. Exactly what part of her body mutated to allow her power over weather? The weather receptors in her brain?:whatever: Good mutant powers are ones that, you know, are at least somewhat believable:o

what part of your body mutates to allow you to jump between dimensions or cause probablity to shift?????
Storm's powers are a limited form of Telekinetics. She telekineticly affects the weather which is why her emotions can affect the weather too

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"