Iron Man Sequels Recast Tony Stark

Yeah, these characters are bigger than any one actor. I love RDJ as Stark. But I am first and foremost an IRON MAN fan. I just hope whoever the guy they get is that he doesn't try and ape RDJ's version of Stark. He should establish his own take on the character. We don't need any Brandon Routh's up in here.

Tom-Cruise-Iron-Man.jpg

Too old now, but Cruise would have been great back when he was originally attached to Iron Man.

We sure dodged a bullet there.

A younger Cruise would have been a great Stark, no doubt.

I disagree. When it comes to action roles, Tom Cruise seems to just play the same character in every role. So it'd probably be the same here as well. Only when he's playing a bad guy like in Collateral or IWTV or comedy like Tropic Thunder does he seem to go beyond that.

I disagree. When it comes to action roles, Tom Cruise seems to just play the same character in every role. So it'd probably be the same here as well. Only when he's playing a bad guy like in Collateral or IWTV or comedy like Tropic Thunder does he seem to go beyond that.

What makes you think he couldn't pull off a Collateral level of performance as Tony Stark? I'd argue Cruise has more versatility than RDJ.

I would say "not bad" at best.

not great though.

Actually, what threw me off about Jack Reacher was that he seemed to be more '70s/80s Clint Eastwood than Tom Cruise in it. I don't think he would make a good Tony though. I'd kind of like someone less known like Richard Coyle but they'd probably want a big name.

When the time comes to recast Tony Stark, it's pretty obvious they'll go straight to Jeffrey Dean Morgan.

jdm_zps5a6eb331.jpg

Same age as RDJ, plus or minus a few months; actually 5 inches *taller* than RDJ; and he is clearly RDJ's twin brother. ;)

I hope not. RDJ has more charisma in his pinky than JDM has in his entire being, imo.

I disagree. I'd say at least RDJ's entire arm.

I like JDM.

James Franco is pretty inspired... he's just so much younger than RDJ it'd be hard to pull off.

This guy, from Terriers looks like a young RDJ

Michael Raymond-James
michael.jpg

michael-raymond-james-e1357577113557.png

Last edited:
Tom-Cruise-Iron-Man.jpg

Too old now, but Cruise would have been great back when he was originally attached to Iron Man.

Tom Cruise would have been better as Captain America.

In my opinion, he definitely wouldn't be bland compare to Chris Evans.

I say keep RDJ as Tony Stark and bring in a new character to wear the armor. You could retain Downey in a smaller role as a grizzled mentor and weapons designer to the new IM. If you want to keep the Stark name, Tony very likely has a previously unacknowledged adult son (or daughter) kicking around somewhere in the MCU.

I say keep RDJ as Tony Stark and bring in a new character to wear the armor. You could retain Downey in a smaller role as a grizzled mentor and weapons designer to the new IM. If you want to keep the Stark name, Tony very likely has a previously unacknowledged adult son (or daughter) kicking around somewhere in the MCU.

So...Iron Man 4 would be titled "Iron Man Beyond" then? :p

So...Iron Man 4 would be titled "Iron Man Beyond" then? :p

In my dream scenario, yes. A problem with a connected film universe is that a Tony Stark reboot with a younger actor impacts all of the characters with whom RDJ's Stark has had a prior relationship. Though I love Don Cheadle as an actor, I felt recasting Rhodey really hurt the sequel. Recasting Banner with Ruffalo didn't face this issue as Norton's character had no prior interactions with other MCU characters.

Additionally, RDJ's performance as IM has been so iconic I think the character's best chance for success after he leaves the series is to go in a completely different direction with a new character driving the suit.

Let's see, I don't see anyone else than RDJ, but if I have to choose:

Matthew McConaughey
Joel Edgerton
Garrett Hedlund (he is incredible in On The Road)
Chris Pine (I can totally see him)

Can't think of anyone else for now, but that's just on the top of my head.

I must admit it is startling how much Max Greenfield looks like Tony in the comic books. Not sure if he could pull it off but he can handle the humour alright

maxgreenfieldprofile.jpg

80455371.jpg

Luke Evans. I want to see the charming, intellectual Tony Stark. Isn't that what he's supposed to be in the comics?

RDJ's personality is good fun but ultimately prevents Iron Man from being recognized as any kind of badass, especially since they give so much screentime to him through the suit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"