Remembering the Fifth Generation Consoles (PS1, N64, Sega Saturn etc..)

boywonder13

Sidekick
Reaction score
Even though i first started playin video games at the end of the fourth generation (sega genesis, i was actually like 3-4 years old when i first played) the Fifth Generation is my favorite and proably the greatest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_%28fifth_generation%29

Who Can Forget?

Mario Party
Golden Eye
Final Fantasy 7 and beyond
Tekken
Mario 64
Mario Kart
Metal Gear
Medal of Honor
Tony Hawk
Resident Evi
Smash Bros
Spyro
Dead or Alive
Banjo Kazooise and so many others..

so many great games....share ur thoughts on the fifth generation as it is no w a relic of the past since the PS1 stopped production of the console early this year, while the others stopped years before.....

R.I.P Fifth Gen Consoles : 1993-2006

Body Harvest
Conker
Perfect Dark
Jet Force Gemini
Zelda OoT
Zelda MM

boywonder13 said:
Even though i first started playin video games at the end of the fourth generation (sega genesis, i was actually like 3-4 years old when i first played) the Fifth Generation is my favorite and proably the greatest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_%28fifth_generation%29

Who Can Forget?

Mario Party
Golden Eye
Final Fantasy 7 and beyond
Tekken
Mario 64
Mario Kart
Metal Gear
Medal of Honor
Tony Hawk
Resident Evi
Smash Bros
Spyro
Dead or Alive
Banjo Kazooise and so many others..

so many great games....share ur thoughts on the fifth generation as it is no w a relic of the past since the PS1 stopped production of the console early this year, while the others stopped years before.....

R.I.P Fifth Gen Consoles : 1993-2006

Definitely the best gen yet. Games to add to that list:

Panzer Dragoon Saga
Nights
Soul Blade
Gran Turismo
Xenogears
Chrono Cross
Vagrant Story
Perfect Dark
Ocarina of Time
Driver
Colony Wars
G-Police
Wipeout XL
Ridge Racer (especially Type 4)
Ace Combat
Crash Bandicoot (the first three)
Tomb Raider (1 & 2)

And I'm pretty sure I am forgetting a lot more games.

Gammy79 said:
It sucks that I never got to play Panzer Dragoon Saga :(

You should commit harakiri out of shame. :down::mad:

Oh and more games to add to that list:

Virtua Fighter
Street Fighter Alpha
Alien Trilogy
Half-Life
Quake 2
System Shock 1+2
Battle Arena Toshinden URA
Tony Hawks' Pro Skater (1+2)
Silent Hill
Die Hard Trilogy
Oddworld Abe's Odyssee/Exoddus
Legacy of Kain (Blood Omen and Soul Reaver)
Fear Effect 1 & 2
Twisted Metal 1 & 2
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit

So...many...:(

Die Hard Trilogy.....oh man....what a game :up:

I still have Loaded for ps1, I love it :O

Oh, and the Strike trilogy (Soviet, Nuclear and Future Cop, which was originally supposed to be Future Strike, but hey)

Those games RULE.

"Nights" needs a sequel, dammit!!

I was one of the few that actually bought a Saturn, I loved it. Nights, the Panzer Dragoon series, Shining Force III (the bit that was actually released), etc. I wish that platform had stayed alive :(

Suikoden and Suikoden II are two great fifth generation games to add to the list.

What the... can something at least get old before we start having 'Remembering' threads?

imdaly said:
"Nights" needs a sequel, dammit!!

It's due for one, Sega seems to be pulling out many of their franchises and some older ones. The Wii would be perfect for a Knights game.

Goldeneye....still one of the best FPS from the past.

32bit
16bit
8bit
then the oldass collico vision and atari stuff.

i thought playstation was 32 bit?

maybe i'm mistaken...

what was sega cd?

I remember when they started judging everything by their bit. That was funny. :woot:

November Rain said:
what do they do nowadays then?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_%28sixth_generation%29

Number of bits

Bit ratings for consoles largely fell by the wayside after the 32-bit era. The number of "bits" cited in console names referred to the CPU word size, but there was little to be gained from increasing the word size much beyond 32-bits; performance depended on other factors, such as processor speed, graphics processor speed, bandwidth, and memory size.

The Sega Dreamcast was 32 bit and the last video game console to market their system based on the bit/byte system. It has a dual-issue 32-bit CPU core, 64-bit GPU, and 64-bit data bus although the geometry sub-processor GPU can perform internal math on 128-bit words. One of the PlayStation 2's many processors is known as the “128-bit Emotion Engine” but has a dual-issue 64-bit core. The Nintendo GameCube is more powerful than the PS2, with only a single 64-bit CPU core. The Microsoft Xbox, which is also more powerful than the PS2, uses a 32-bit CPU and 256-bit GPU. To take the usage to absurdity, one memory bus on the PS2 is two-thousand, five-hundred and sixty bits wide. The importance of the number of bits in the modern console gaming market has thus decreased due to the use of components that process data in varying word sizes. It is also important to note that most game companies sell on “n-bit talk” (where n refers to a number) to over-emphasize the hardware capabilities of their system. The Sega Dreamcast and the PlayStation 2 were the last systems to use the term “128-bit” in their marketing to describe their capability.

if the dreamcast was the last to use bits, what about the nintendo 64?

didn't it come out after?

November Rain said:
if the dreamcast was the last to use bits, what about the nintendo 64?

didn't it come out after?

Im confused by your question but this should clear u up

Nintendo 64 - Released in 1996 (Fifth Gen)

Dreamcast - Released in 1999 (Sixth Gen)

yeah i'm wondering why there was a release of a less powerful console years after the release of the 64.

i would have thought that saga would at least try and compete.

was the nintendo 64 actually a 64 bit machine, i'm slightly confused as to why less powerful consoles were being released when it was around...

There wasn't. Dreamcast was a 128, not 64.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"