Rescue Me - The Final Season

aww [BLACKOUT][BLACKOUT]Lou[/BLACKOUT][/BLACKOUT]

that commercial almost had me tear up every time i saw it last night during Sons of Anarchy, are you kidding me with this bull ****?

that commercial almost had me tear up every time i saw it last night during Sons of Anarchy, are you kidding me with this bull ****?

Yeah, seriously. I just went "wtf?" when I saw
Mike & the rest of the guys
just now.

this is getting stupid now.

kinda wished they all did die.

omg the Lou ashes thing :awesome:

Ha! That was freakin' hilarious. I loved that.

Wasn't what I was expecting from the episode as a whole. It was just...okay. All that build-up for nothing from that last commercial and all.

If you didn't go into the episode expecting that multiple deaths might've been a dream of Tommy's, I really don't know what show you've been watching. Me, I knew the second I saw Lou being the only survivor that it wasn't legit. I just knew it.

I thought it was a damn good ending. That final scene between Lou and Tommy made me tear up really bad. Plus that whole thing at the beginning wow, I was about to break down crying

I would have shoved that damn blue shovel up some rectums

The finale was pretty disappointing for me, I think killing them all off would've been better. The finale just felt way too hopeful of an ending for a show like this.

Kind of felt like they shot two different versions of this episode, and spliced them together. One with them all dead but Lou, then the version we saw.

I logged into Tumblr last night after the show ended, a lot of people felt the same way, kind of disappointed with some parts they enjoyed.

Anyway, just saw a new TV spot, the final two seasons will be released on Tuesday in one box set.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Rescue-Me-Finale-Denis-Leary-1037104.aspx
Rescue Me Postmortem: Creators Talk Lou's Heroism and Tommy's Happy Ending

After seven seasons, FX's Rescue Me concluded with its usual blend of dark plots and dark comedy before ultimately leaving tortured hero Tommy Gavin (Denis Leary) with a surprisingly sunny outlook on the future.

That ending reflects the stories of a couple real-life firefighters who inspired his character, Leary says.

"They're definitely in a place, 10 years later, where they still love the job," he tells TVGuide.com. "They're actually as happy as you could expect them to be. They're whole. They're back to as close as they could be to the men they were before the events of 9/11 happened.

"Not only did they survive, but I think they survived in the best possible way you could: They are very aware of what went on that day," Leary continues. "They'll never get over it, and they're still very angry about what happened in a way, but they're still jumping on the rig and fighting fires. It's not necessarily where I thought those two guys would end up, but I think Tommy kind of reflects what happened to them."

Co-creator Peter Tolan told reporters at the Television Critics Association previews in August that two other endings were considered but abandoned. One had Tommy sacrificing himself in a fire to ensure his family would be taken care of; another involved him walking out into the ocean to drown. But Tolan feels those cappers sent the wrong message.

"You don't want to send out a message that says human beings don't survive tragedy, because the reality is that they do," Tolan told us in an interview before Season 7 began. "You realize that laughter is the whole coping mechanism. The show was saying, on some level, 'Look: We go on, we laugh, we survive.' ... I think that's the choice we had to make — to offer some glimmer of hope."

That hope was embodied by John Scurti's Lou, who, despite not surviving the harrowing fire at the end of the series' penultimate episode, is seen as a ghost at the end of the finale. But he's a far cry from the dead men who have haunted Tommy throughout the series.

"This is a ghost that he's comforted by," Tolan says. "It's not a contentious thing or something that takes him to a dark place. It's really Casablanca at that point with the two of them driving off. It's the continuation of a beautiful friendship."

Lou's death came while he was doing what he loved — not, as the show had so heavily foreshadowed, as the result of a heart attack because of his unhealthy lifestyle. "We wanted to not trick the audience, but have this misdirect," Tolan says. "We wanted the audience to think that his heart was going to go before something else happened. It becomes a surprise when he actually dies in the line of duty. And he does die heroically."

"There is that moment [in the fire]," Leary adds, "where Tommy realizes maybe we're not going to be OK. But this guy, knowing the circumstances, has chosen to land on top of the grenade. That kind of bravery is really what the show was always about."

That bravery was also on display in perhaps the finale's greatest misdirect. The opening scene, which is eventually revealed to be one of Tommy's dreams, shows Lou as the fateful fire's only survivor giving a rousing eulogy for his five fallen comrades."That was something I pitched at the very beginning of the series," Tolan says. "And we just never used it. Year after year, people would die and we would go, 'Is it this person? Do we do it here?' So, we finally used it for Lou, and I was really happy with it."

Scurti, who expressed some displeasure with the amount of food-related jokes in the final season, was thrilled with Lou's heroic swan song. "When you look at Lou in that scene, he won't let the emotion in," Scurti says. "The only emotion that he'll deal with is the pride that he feels. And that could've been a big weeping, sopping mess, and it's not. It's a cry of defiance to the heavens. It's one of the most beautiful things as an actor I've even been asked to play.

And as it turned out, the emotions of that scene weren't far removed from the actor's mournful feelings.

"Knowing that I had to march through that church and stand in front of all those coffins, I was afraid that I was going to lose it, because it happens to be the absolute last scene that we ever shot of Rescue Me," Scurti says. "When I was done with that speech, the show was over. That was it. We all got in our vans and went in separate directions. So that added something else to it. I'm not only saying goodbye to all of these people, but I'm also saying goodbye inside to the best job that I've ever had. So it was very, very difficult."
Agree wholeheartedly with the bolded part. :up:

Yea same here. I liked the ending because that's basically the same thing I was feeling at the time. Life goes on

I just marathon'd the whole show

Overall an okay show, although the last half kind of left a bitter taste in my mouth.

The main thing that really bothered me was that it seems so much of the focus in the show is put on all of the other characters talking about what a huge, unlikable, screw-up tommy is, when personally I found him to be the most likable on the show.

His wife is just a flat-out horrible person. So awful. I do not understand why he loved her at all, because she didn't do a single likable thing the entire series. In fact, none of the women on the show were very well written. It's like the writers tried to write convincing women, but have a warped view of them, as if they're all completely irrational, emotional psychopaths.

And nothing made me want to punch a baby like EVERYONE on the show acting like teddy did tommy a favor by kidnapping a bar full of people a gunpoint and shooting him twice. What. the. f***.

Any time teddy came on screen after that, I would just made snide remarks to myself 'well why don't you just shoot him, teddy,'

FFS, sorry for ranting, but that just really made me rage. Especially since colleen wanted teddy to walk her down the aisle.

Overall an okay show, although the last half kind of left a bitter taste in my mouth.

The main thing that really bothered me was that it seems so much of the focus in the show is put on all of the other characters talking about what a huge, unlikable, screw-up tommy is, when personally I found him to be the most likable on the show.

His wife is just a flat-out horrible person. So awful. I do not understand why he loved her at all, because she didn't do a single likable thing the entire series. In fact, none of the women on the show were very well written. It's like the writers tried to write convincing women, but have a warped view of them, as if they're all completely irrational, emotional psychopaths.

And nothing made me want to punch a baby like EVERYONE on the show acting like teddy did tommy a favor by kidnapping a bar full of people a gunpoint and shooting him twice. What. the. f***.

Any time teddy came on screen after that, I would just made snide remarks to myself 'well why don't you just shoot him, teddy,'

FFS, sorry for ranting, but that just really made me rage. Especially since colleen wanted teddy to walk her down the aisle.

I agree about the wife. Tommy is way better a human being than she is. Also, Franco that last season did a complete 360 *****ebag turn. I really didn't like that.

The show just went too long, it peaked in season two, became unwatchable in season four and became watchable again in season five but it was never the same, just rehashing storylines and killing off people.

Enjoyed the season finale but so much has happened that there was no impact to the ending. Lou died? So did half the cast throughout the show. Janet had a baby? That happened two seasons ago. Everyone dying and Lou surviving would've been more interesting but I see the angle they were going with surviving tragedy. This season was enjoyable but it was like Diet Rescue Me. Oh well, overall the series had more great episodes than weak.

I didn't care too much for the Finale. I thought Lou's death was underwhelming. I thought there could've been more of a heroic moment during the fire. To me it seemed like the ending didn't have an emotional impact like it should have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"