Ridley Scott Reteaming with Drew Goddard for Western ‘Wraiths of the Broken Land’

Logan0327

Sidekick
Reaction score
Ridley Scott, Drew Goddard, Fox & ‘The Martian’ Team Set ‘Wraiths Of The Broken Land’
EXCLUSIVE: 20th Century Fox has closed a big deal for screen rights to the S. Craig Zahler novel Wraiths Of The Broken Land, so that it could reunite the dream team behind the Best Picture nominated hit The Martian. Ridley Scott has made a deal to direct with Drew Goddard to write the script. The film will be produced by Scott Free’s Michael Schaefer, Genre Films’ Simon Kinberg and Aditya Sood. The similarities to the comparatively upbeat The Martian end there. Wraiths of the Broken Land is a Western, the attempt to reclaim two kidnapped sisters forced into prostitution. It is a desperate rescue and plunges the protagonists into dark places in a book that combines horror, noir and Asian ultra violence. Scott was eager to work again with Goddard. The Martian grossed just north of $500 million worldwide.
http://deadline.com/2016/05/ridley-...f-the-broken-land-the-martian-fox-1201752356/

When is Scott going to fit this into his schedule considering he wants to make three more Alien films?

My first thought's as well. But the old bugger does like to change his mind constantly. Maybe he's dropped his idea for 3 Alien prequels.

As for this project,sounds interesting. Though I've not read the book.

When is Scott going to fit this into his schedule considering he wants to make three more Alien films?

Scott has been averaging one film production per year back to back since 2012. He'll fit it in after Covenant then start the sequel to Covenant right after this wraps.

Scott reteaming with Goddard? Yes please.

This is the movie Zahler intended to make with Bone Tomahawk, but had to massively scale down for budgetary reasons. Sounds right up my alley.

I liked Bone Tomahawk myself, it was really good actually. But hopefully this is a good Sir Ridley film (the man is nothing if not inconsistent). Because I'm always down for a good Western.

If Goddard is writing, then this could be great. Scott and Goddard seemed to have a good working relationship on The Martian. Who'd think the guy from Buffy would work so well with Sir Ridley Scott? That's a unique match.

Sounds a bit bleak for my tastes but always glad to see the western genre getting high profile treatment. :up:

If Goddard is writing, then this could be great. Scott and Goddard seemed to have a good working relationship on The Martian. Who'd think the guy from Buffy would work so well with Sir Ridley Scott? That's a unique match.

Sounds a bit bleak for my tastes but always glad to see the western genre getting high profile treatment. :up:

Did you guys catch Bone Tomahawk? I think that film is a good indicator about whether this one would be something you guys would be keen for or not. Mind you Drew Goddard's presence might mean more humour.

Yeah, but he hasn't been able to get it off the ground because of the book's content (as Sir Ridley put it himself, the movie would have been "Rated XX."). So he made The Counselor (based off of a Cormac McCarthy screenplay) instead. Ooops.

Oh well. If Sir Ridley couldn't get it made, then I kind of doubt that Franco (no disrespect to him intended) could have gotten it off of the ground either.

Oh well. If Sir Ridley couldn't get it made, then I kind of doubt that Franco (no disrespect to him intended) could have gotten it off of the ground either.

That's why he's doing this instead, plus the rights probably cost a third of what Fox would've paid for BM. :cwink:

Speaking of which, I do wonder what the budget for this will end up being?

Glad to hear this will be similiar to Bone Tomahawk, that movie was awesome!

Speaking of which, I do wonder what the budget for this will end up being?

Probably $25 to $40 million. I know Ridley commands big budgets, but for something this I'd imagine they know it's not the most commercial prospect a la Bone Tomahawk and Hateful Eight.

Something between $50 million and $100 million seems more likely to me, especially after the hit Ridley Scott and Drew Goddard secured Fox with 'The Martian.'

It's hard to tell. $80 million would be certain if it's something like Django Unchained that crowds will absolutely love.

Yeah, but you gotta consider the scope of the story (and sets) and the people Ridley Scott is intending to cast. I can't see Scott going too small on a project such as this. He'll likely want to stretch the visual potential of a western.

Did you guys catch Bone Tomahawk? I think that film is a good indicator about whether this one would be something you guys would be keen for or not. Mind you Drew Goddard's presence might mean more humour.

I thought the concept was solid but I found the film a bit underwhelming in it's execution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"