• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Riots in Missouri

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a harder time sympathizing with the "protestors" since many are now from outside areas and there just to cause chaos. I support any group's right to protest peacefully, but when they start destroying other people's property, stealing/looting, or attacking others/police, they lose all support from me and I'll side with the law. There are so many better ways to go about things yet many seem intent on keeping the level of agitation up for as long as they want. Until a final accounting of the events happens, protesting this way just seems like a waste.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...be1262-26f3-11e4-8593-da634b334390_story.html

How could we know if it's many? It could just be a few. All it takes is just a handful.

There are people on this thread better qualified to speak on this than me, but that statement is, I am sorry, very telling of how deeply flawed your argument is. Shooting someone in the leg/in the air/the weapon out of someone's hand/the tires out from under a car is what cops do in movies. It does not work in real life, there's really no excuse anymore for anybody not knowing that. If a cop fires, it's at your chest. That's a cop's firearm training 101.

I'm not saying the cop is guilty or innocent. But he is empowered to use lethal force in response to a threat of serious bodily harm. A charging man, even armed with nothing more than his bare fists, poses a genuine serious threat of bodily harm. If I am surrounded by a circle with a 30 foot radius on either side of me, and a young man in fairly average health enters that circle already at a running speed I do not have that much time to react.

It's really hard to make an argument when we don't actually know the officer's side but if we go with what's been thrown out there, at over 30 feet away, knowing the person is unarmed, I think we ought to hold police officers to a higher standard when considering the situation. If the body collapsed at 30 feet away, then that sounds like excessive force.

That's a distance where it's reasonable to say that he didn't need to kill him. If that's his argument, then he should probably lose his job or just be confined to desk duty because it would seem that, despite having enough information to make right decisions, he got scared and lost control of his emotions.

I believe that's how it ought to be, atleast. I have no illusions about the world we live in, though. I live in a city where you can be shot and killed for standing in front of your own apartment, and that's considered reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"