Robotech is on the way!

Cmill216

Senior Case Officer
Reaction score
http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6274

WB and Maguire Adapting Robotech
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
September 7, 2007

Warner Bros. Pictures has picked up the rights to bring anime classic "Robotech," which featured giant robots known as mechas, to the big screen. "Spider-Man" franchise star Tobey Maguire is producing through his Maguire Entertainment and is eyeing the lead role in what the studio plans on being a tentpole sci-fi franchise.

"We are very excited to bring 'Robotech' to the big screen," Maguire said. "There is a rich mythology that will be a great foundation for a sophisticated, smart and entertaining film."

Drew Crevello also is producing through his Supercool Hollywood BigTime Productions. Craig Zahler (The Brigands of Rattleborge) will write the screenplay.

"Robotech" was a cartoon series during the 1980s from Harmony Gold USA and Tatsunoko Productions. It was re-edited and re-dialogued to combine three Japanese anime series to give the producers enough episodes to air as a daily syndicated series.

A sprawling sci-fi epic, Robotech takes place at a time when Earth has developed giant robots from the technology on an alien spacecraft that crashed on a South Pacific isle. Mankind is forced to use the technology to fend off three successive waves of alien invasions. The first invasion concerns a battle with a race of giant warriors who seek to retrieve their flagship's energy source known as "protoculture," and the planet's survival ends up in the hands of two young pilots.

Frank Agrama of rights-holder Harmony Gold will executive produce; Jason Netter will serve in a producer capacity.

How much you wanna bet Sam Raimi will end up directing this? :cwink:

Get Emmy Rossum to sing during the final battle and I'm in.

Hmmm...IDK what to make of this yet...

CFE

Awesome. Besides Transformers, this is one of my childhood shows I have always wanted to see on the big screen.

Think they can get the same people who did Transformers do the mechas?

Robotech.JPG

I'm all for a Robotech film, but the timing of this makes it reek of an attempt to cash-in on the success of Transformers, something that might prove to be a turnoff in the long run.

I'm all for a Robotech film, but the timing of this makes it reek of an attempt to cash-in on the success of Transformers, something that might prove to be a turnoff in the long run.

well said

Its so different than Transformers though. Yes there is transforming robots, but unlike Transformers, this is all about the humans. The transforming robots are just something in the background.

Also, Tobey Maguire would be awful as Rick Hunter.

My all time favourate kids series :), I dont care about Rick Hunter , I want to know who will be playing Max Sterlling,he was by far the best character in the series.

He's awful as PP/spidey too but if this film keeps his ass away from doing any more spidey flicks, I'm all for it.

Wonderful news! I recently bought the remastered DVDs, and was jokingly casting the movie.

Halle Berry & Hugh Jackman for Claudia and Roy! :p

Its so different than Transformers though. Yes there is transforming robots, but unlike Transformers, this is all about the humans. The transforming robots are just something in the background.

And that will work for this movie, because now the human cast does belong in the picture!

ROBOTECH! To the RESCUE!

Very cool, I grew up watching Robotech and wouldn't mind seeing what ILM can do with the movie, they did an outstanding job on Transformers.

The best character in Robotech will always be Admiral Lisa Hayes Hunter. Without her, Rick marries Lynn Minmay and leaves the military instead of becoming the EDF Fleet Commander.

Awesome! Robotech's always been one of my favorite 80s cartoon.

Jennifer Aniston for Lisa Heys

Yeah I'm not digging Tobey Maguire as Hunter.

Since I´m not a fan - I don´t even remember that show airing in my country when i was a kid, though, and I distinctively remember watching classic animes like Speed Racer and Star Blazers, what can you tell me about it? If done it right, should it be less silly than Transformers - please say yes!

As for Maguire, well, face it, all guys in animes have the same "baby-look", so I don´t see the problem...:woot:

I believe Brasil is one of the few countries where you could watch it as Macross, translated directly from the original

I believe Brasil is one of the few countries where you could watch it as Macross, translated directly from the original

Could be, but if memory serves me it was released on VHS and DVD as Robotech, I´d have to check it, though.

Yeah, I always find it funny that Robotech was actually three completely unrelated shows edited as one when they aired it in the states.

Force of Arms is my favorite episode when the Zentradi fleet destroy like 90% of the Earth's Surface.

But, while it's a little cheesy I wonder how Minmei "singing" to disrupt the Zentradi fleet can come off? It's very anime.

Agreed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"