Switch RUMOR: Switch Pro in the works

I hope the new Switch comes out this year to decrease the attention of scalpers from ps5 and second I'm interested to see another console launch - if its just not a pro version but a Switch 2 or a successor.

I hope the new Switch comes out this year to decrease the attention of scalpers from ps5 and second I'm interested to see another console launch - if its just not a pro version but a Switch 2 or a successor.
it is a much bigger deal if it is the next Nintendo console and not just an iterative.

it is a much bigger deal if it is the next Nintendo console and not just an iterative.

I fell like its way way to soon for that. 1 Nintendo Switch sales have not fallen of at all. 2 there are still to many big games left on switch like botw 2, Splatoon 3, bayanet. If pro comes out this year you are talking about the switch being a little under 5 years. To have a next gen system when your system is not even 5 years old and still has big games left and its sales have not slowed down at all just makes zero sense. Even a next gen switch in 2022 would kind of be pushing it.

I fell like its way way to soon for that. 1 Nintendo Switch sales have not fallen of at all. 2 there are still to many big games left on switch like botw 2, Splatoon 3, bayanet. If pro comes out this year you are talking about the switch being a little under 5 years. To have a next gen system when your system is not even 5 years old and still has big games left and its sales have not slowed down at all just makes zero sense. Even a next gen switch in 2022 would kind of be pushing it.
I agree it's too soon. It's been four years and a console's life cycle before a successor should be five years at minimum. The only exceptions I can think of are Xbox to 360 and Wii U to Switch itself which were 4 or 5 years in between.

Switch is on pace to outsell the lifetime sales of Ps4.

Fundamentally, the issue here is people assuming that a video game console needs rough power parity with the other consoles on the market in order to succeed, and if it doesn't, then it won't.

The problem, if you can really call it a problem, is that Nintendo is proving this to be complete nonsense with the Switch. It didn't have power parity with the PS4/XBone, and it has even less power parity with the PS5 and Series X, and this has not slowed down its sales at all. And people, both inside and outside the industry, seem to have no idea how to process this fact.

With so many rumours for this - a better screen, 4k, a more powerful console, and switch bc. They might as well sell this as a new console, IF it comes out this year or neXt year as it could attract 3rd party developers to release more games in the more powerful switch, especially if certain games are too powerful for the original switch/lite. Is there even a game in the past that was only released in the more powerful version of a console?

Aside from this article

New Nintendo Switch Pro price: what to expect if a new console lands in 2021 | TechRadar

YouTube has plenty of videos regarding these rumours. I'm interested to see a new launch console. And the ps fanboy of me wants it to be a new console so the original Switch won't surpass the sales of ps2.

Given their recent sales report, and them already projecting problems with Switch supply due to the chip shortage, I don't expect this this year.

The only way its happening anytime soon is if a hardware update is necessary due to changing components. And that won't actually be the mythical Switch Pro ( but then, nothing plausible would be ).

I dont know what to think about a pro I fell like if we where going to get a pro it should have been early this year has we are kind of late for a pro at this point. It used to be before like ps3 to ps4 or xbox to xbox 360 that you would get new systems ever 5-6 years now it seems to be ever 6-7 but even if you go 6-7 switch will be 5 early next year at that point why not just wait a year and do a real next gen system? Switch is saling great and with games like botw 2, Splatoon 3 etc the sales are not going to drop of any time soon. I am starting to think they should just stick with switch for 2022 and 2023 and have a next seen system in 2024.

Fundamentally, the issue here is people assuming that a video game console needs rough power parity with the other consoles on the market in order to succeed, and if it doesn't, then it won't.

The problem, if you can really call it a problem, is that Nintendo is proving this to be complete nonsense with the Switch. It didn't have power parity with the PS4/XBone, and it has even less power parity with the PS5 and Series X, and this has not slowed down its sales at all. And people, both inside and outside the industry, seem to have no idea how to process this fact.
Surely people already know this after how well the weak-as-**** wii did. Nintendo attract additional new/different customers outside of the more hardcore gamer crowd that choose between PlayStation, Xbox and pc, and their play as you go feature definitely plays into that.

I dont know what to think about a pro I fell like if we where going to get a pro it should have been early this year has we are kind of late for a pro at this point. It used to be before like ps3 to ps4 or xbox to xbox 360 that you would get new systems ever 5-6 years now it seems to be ever 6-7 but even if you go 6-7 switch will be 5 early next year at that point why not just wait a year and do a real next gen system? Switch is saling great and with games like botw 2, Splatoon 3 etc the sales are not going to drop of any time soon. I am starting to think they should just stick with switch for 2022 and 2023 and have a next seen system in 2024.
The wii U gen was cut short due to it not doing well so maybe Nintendo are planning a longer than usual generation for the Switch. It isn’t going to go out of date as quickly as the others as power is not the main differentiator.

The wii U gen was cut short due to it not doing well so maybe Nintendo are planning a longer than usual generation for the Switch. It isn’t going to go out of date as quickly as the others as power is not the main differentiator.

Oh I know Wii U was not successful it only got like 4.5 years but un less like a next gen switch is 2025 it fells late now for a switch pro and I would think a next gen switch would be like 2024.

Simple, they see a Switch pro as a way of preserving sales a few extra years. Unfortunately, the chip shortage is going to cause even more delays.

Simple, they see a Switch pro as a way of preserving sales a few extra years. Unfortunately, the chip shortage is going to cause even more delays.

Even than with botw 2, Splatoon 3 etc still left sales are not going to fall of for at least 2022 and likely 2023 to.

Nintendo is outright projecting a 12% drop in switch sales. Purely on chip shortage.

Surely people already know this after how well the weak-as-**** wii did. Nintendo attract additional new/different customers outside of the more hardcore gamer crowd that choose between PlayStation, Xbox and pc, and their play as you go feature definitely plays into that.

I know whole crowds of people who absolutely do reject the Wii as meaningful evidence, for various mostly-specious reasons. The most generous and reasonable such argument tends to be "the Wii is an outlier, whatever it did right probably isn't duplicable", but its usually just flat out "those people don't count, only people like me and what I want count". You know, the same type of people who declare that they are a "gamer", and this other person is *not* a "gamer", because that other person doesn't play the right *kind* of game.

The funny thing is, even if you accept that the Wii is a fluke that relied on a gimmick, the Switch is if anything much *less* "gimmick-y". Sure, it has less raw power than its competitors, but unlike the Wii it largely just provides conventional video game controls and experiences. Its only "gimmick" is being able to be used portably as well as hooked to a TV.

And regarding "preserving sales", in order to preserve sales, you first need to have evidence of a sales drop. There is one predicted, but it has to do with semiconductor availability; a new model Switch isn't going to do anything about that. Otherwise, there is no sign of demand for the Switch, the current existing model of Switch, flagging.

Its like I've said earlier, the only believable reason for a Switch hardware update right now has to do with component availability, swapping out parts that the manufacturer wants to discontinue with newer parts they intend to continue making. *That* would be a good reason to 'upgrade' the Switch, in spite of continued sales.

Honestly, I feel the new switch is mainly a result of talking to third parties. There are some impressive ports on the Switch, and some amazing use of technology (that you can make the RE Engine work so great on the Switch is amazing). Even with PC development, you are putting third parties in a tough position.

My sympathy is limited. Nintendo isn't making life on those third party developers hard. The third party developers are the ones making life hard on themselves, by refusing to give up the crutch of bleeding edge graphics. Nobody is *forcing* them to make their games with benchmarks such that a Switch can't run them easily, they are doing that to themselves.

Is it still a rumor at this point or should do we wait for announcement before changing the title?

It remains a rumor, and one which almost certainly won't be true. Note: a Switch hardware update is *not* the same thing as the fever dream impossibilities tied to the name 'Switch Pro'.

It remains a rumor, and one which almost certainly won't be true. Note: a Switch hardware update is *not* the same thing as the fever dream impossibilities tied to the name 'Switch Pro'.
True.

^ This post will not age well.

I think it is all but officially confirmed there will be a Switch Pro, whether or not that is the actual name given to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"