• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Dark Phoenix Running time revealed.

I think the casting is more about getting a good actor who could pull off the performance desired and letting them play the part. i don't get the impression it was ever about voice, height, or appearance.
But those things play a factor into the characterization. His voice didn't make me believe he was Apocalypse.

Well the first guardians of the galaxy was 2h and 1 minute according to IMDB. so i don't think assembles always require 3 hours.

Well the first guardians of the galaxy was 2h and 1 minute according to IMDB. so i don't think assembles always require 3 hours.
It does not.

All I'm saying it's possible, but I think it might be the stander 2 hours and 15 minutes for origin movie. Most of the MCU movies is over 2 hours and a few change.

I have to agree because I don't think they got much story to tell in this movie. Only a huge cast like Day of Future Past or Infinity War or Endgame deserves a movie that long.

When MCU makes the first X-Men movie it'll probably be that long like almost 3 hours. I hope they start the first MCU X-Men movie with the original 5 X-men.

In fairness, Dark Phoenix does have quite a big cast:

Xavier, Jean, Cyclops, Storm, Beast, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver, Mystique, Magneto, Red Lotus, Selene, Chastain's alien leader, Jean's dad, and maybe others (the right-hand man to Chastain's alien, plus Dazzler, etc etc).

But this is Fox so many of those will be underdeveloped and marginalised. Everyone in Endgame felt like a fully rounded character with personality and motivation, i imagine very few in Dark Phoenix will feel like that. Bring on the MCU reboot...

The actor hated wearing the bulky costume. i don't think he ever said he hated playing him.
Yeah I'm sure he loved playing the character while wearing that bulky costume. He called the experience excruciating.

See, I knew that over 2 hours is too good to be true.
1 hr 54 minutes sounds a lot better than 2 hrs and 41 minutes
Depends on the movie.
In fairness, Dark Phoenix does have quite a big cast:

Xavier, Jean, Cyclops, Storm, Beast, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver, Mystique, Magneto, Red Lotus, Selene, Chastain's alien leader, Jean's dad, and maybe others (the right-hand man to Chastain's alien, plus Dazzler, etc etc).

But this is Fox so many of those will be underdeveloped and marginalised. Everyone in Endgame felt like a fully rounded character with personality and motivation, i imagine very few in Dark Phoenix will feel like that. Bring on the MCU reboot...
It was pretty obvious to me that Storm and Nightcrawler won't have to do a lot. Quicksilver isn't that present in promos. Jean's dad is probably for the flashbacks. Selene, Red Lotus and the other aliens are probably just for action. Dazzler is probably a blink and you miss it cameo.

To me, the cast is much smaller than Dofp, Apocalypse and even First Class. Its basically the 4 FC Cast members, Sophie, maybe Tye and Jessica as the newcomer and they won't reveal the name of her character.

Last edited:
You’d think, since you’re certain it’s going to be awful, that you’d want it to be as short as possible.
I just dont think Kinberg's first directorial film is going to be that long anyway. As a writer, he usually gloss things over leading to a shoter film, and if there are other stuff filmed, they are probably left off in the cutting room since they aren't good enough. Look at how sources report the third act is drastically changed. I wonder why.

You’d think, since you’re certain it’s going to be awful, that you’d want it to be as short as possible.
Please don't try to apply logic to this line of thinking. I just love that after all this complaining these people will be seeing it opening weekend with the rest of us.

Please don't try to apply logic to this line of thinking. I just love that after all this complaining these people will be seeing it opening weekend with the rest of us.
Then you would just say "these people" have no right to complain because "these people" didn't see it.

Then you would just say "these people" have no right to complain because "these people" didn't see it.
Remember when Michael B. Jordan said the fans would see FF anyway and then the movie flopped?

Not a nice attitude.

If recognizing good writing vs. bad writing makes one "biased", I'm happy to be. Y'all can keep blaming other studios. The proof is in the pudding.

Given this is Kinbergs directorial debut, Ive slightly become more accepting of 114 minutes. First time directors dont usually overrun their movies as they want a "test run" of sorts to ease them into the world of movie making.

Problem is this is a highly unusual situation with a director getting his first shot with a tent pole, multi million dollar franchise, no less the X-men.

I will not see it in the opening weekend.

So, why have you been talking about it daily for years then? Not even trying to be shady, I'm just bewildered.
People are X-men fans. You guys care wayyyyyyyy too much about what others do with their free time. Are his Kinberg complaints hurting you physically? Emotionally? Last time I checked he’s not breaking any forum rules.

Last edited:
@icekid I imagine that you cannot say much, but the climax in Earth instead of space just does not sound that exciting in comparison, but of course we have to wait to see the movie and i am optimistic anyway, i wanted to ask you without spoilers obviously what were the problems that you think the original third act had? Or the movie in general?

Without spoilers, there is “climax on earth instead of space” because that implies that it at one point happened in space. That article that came out made that part up, as you’ll notice that wasn’t backed up by a quote from Simon. It’s not a spoiler to debunk something widely spread that was false, right? The climax in either version never took place in space. Just one place on Earth replaced by another place on Earth.

The original version lacked buildup and is where a lot of comic loyalist would have gone ape**** over.

You've seen the original version?

Compared to the past years this movie is going to be very short.

Dark Phoenix 114 minutes
Deadpool 2 - 119 minutes
Logan - 137 minutes
Apocalypse - 144 minutes.

You've seen the original version?

I talk with people that have seen the original version regularly so I have basically a play by play of the original version.

Without spoilers, there is “climax on earth instead of space” because that implies that it at one point happened in space. That article that came out made that part up, as you’ll notice that wasn’t backed up by a quote from Simon. It’s not a spoiler to debunk something widely spread that was false, right? The climax in either version never took place in space. Just one place on Earth replaced by another place on Earth.

The original version lacked buildup and is where a lot of comic loyalist would have gone ape**** over.

It's a shame they didn't combine the new ending with the old ending (blowing up alien fleet) and have her do both at the same time.

I wanted to ask: Does Dark Phoenix feel 'epic' to you, based on what you saw? Are there 'wow' moments? Were there twists and surprises in the version you saw? They have the Mad Max stunt team on board, is there evidence of this creative talent on screen?

It's a shame they didn't combine the new ending with the old ending (blowing up alien fleet) and have her do both at the same time

Comparing the new ending (based on the spoilers I assume are true) I'm kind of glad we aren't getting her blowing up the alien fleet.

The new ending sounds more personal for Jean and more in line with the rest of the film
From the sounds of it the alien fleet just showed up with no real connection to the story of the film. Plus, it sounds very very similar to the ending of Captain Marvel.

So, why have you been talking about it daily for years then? Not even trying to be shady, I'm just bewildered.
Because its an adaptation of the X-Men, an ip I'm very familiar with and if you don't know I've been here since 2004 before Kinberg was hired to direct Dark PhoeniX. There's no rule to quit posting here because a movie doesn't interest someone. Mind your own business.

That being said, I plan it to see it in a Wednesday, which isn't the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"