• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

sandman and harry might now be secondary villains

Venomfan

Sidekick
Reaction score
i know Raimi has stated that sandman is the main villain, but like someone else stated before it sounds like there now pushing for Venom to be the main baddie, and well if Sony wanted him to be the main villain Raimi would have to do it right? anyway this is from IGN's top 10 comic book movies and is the reason i made this thread, i dont think many people actually noticed this while reading it.

There is one reason why every fanboy on earth cannot wait until May 4, 2007: Venom. Despite director Sam Raimi not initially being a fan of the character, Spidey fans will finally get to see the popular villain on the big-screen. Venom is being brought to life by actor Topher Grace, who plays Eddie Brock, a Daily Bugle employee and Peter Parker's (Tobey Maguire) doppelganger. The highly anticipated sequel also brings in another hugely popular character from the comics, Gwen Stacy (Bryce Dallas Howard), as well as Sandman (Thomas Haden Church) and a vengeful Harry Osborn (James Franco) as secondary villains. The big question about Spider-Man 3 isn't how many box office records it will undoubtedly shatter but which character(s) get killed off. Judging by the intense but crowd-pleasing trailer, Spider-Man 3 will be the darkest and most dangerous entry yet in the blockbuster franchise

I suspect Venom will in fact not be a significant character, only making a relatively short appearance. The focus seems to be on Sandman, GG2, and Peter's own internal struggle with the symbiote.

Since Thomas Haden Church said he's the main villain, the Q&A said he's the main villain, I'll take their word for it over IGN's.

Let it go Venom fans. He's not the main villain :o

Though that synopsis is nowhere near official, I've always said that they would be secondary characters, since the whole film builds up to Spidey vs. Venom.

Hmm...

Sandman is the main Villain. However...they will show a lot of Eddie so I think he will be the secondary villain and Harry will be the third villain

Well I think the main conflict will be Peter's internal struggle. Venom will end up reflecting that said eternal struggle at the end as the focus is Peter's fight with his dark side and Venom personifies everything dark in Peter.

Peter's personality is the focus and Venom is the spurned irresponsible version of himself. In that sense he will be the main villain. Screen time though? Sandman has the most because he goes two rounds undefeated with ol' Web-Head before the climax. GG2 (or just plain ol' Harry) will likely be secondary (unfortunately). I hope Harry doesn't get snuffed for Sandman. I could see Venom in the end being the bigger threat, but Harry Osborn is a much more interesting, tragic and personal foe than Sandman, who is just a schmuck who can turn into sand who they've had to mine the Spider-Man and Lizard origins to make interesting.

Venom will be the top bad guy in the movie as far as popularity goes.
Whether he or sandman will be the final main badguy is yet to be seen though it's strongly hinted that venom's the biggest threat left for spidey to defeat in the film so Im betting he'll be a more significant villain overall.

I think Raimi will have Sandman as the main villain. He was told to include Venom so I expect he would have held onto having Sandman as the main villain.

It really depends on how you look at it. We know Brock will be shown through out the movie so I am assuming the majority of the movie will be Venom's origin. That ovbiously includes the symbiote worn by Parker, so story wise, Venom/Eddie Brock is probably the "Main" villain, but Sandman will fight the most and get the more screen time. VENOM, not Eddie, will probably get the small screen time, but the movie most likely builds up to him, making him the Main villain.

Id like him to be the main villian, as hes Spideys greatest villan ever(IMO). If hes the main baddie, kick ass, if not, hey at least hes in there.

My two-cents: The trailer and comic-con footage both point to Peter Parker's OWN evil, which the symbiote learns and teaches Eddie Brock. Also, REVENGE is driving Peter Parker (because he learns of Marko Flint's involvement in Uncle Ben's death, and/or because of something that happens to MJ?). Revenge is driving Eddie Brock and Harry Osbourn.

Whether or not we see the Lizard, "the evil within" is at the heart of this story. Peter Parker's dark side may be counted as a villain, which is later embodied by the symbiote, and even later by Eddie Brock.

It seems like Venom will just be a secondary character to me. It sounds like he'll have the least amount of screentime and according to the Q&A he actually dies with the little screentime he has. Also he isn't part of the climax, its just the Symbiote versus Spidey.

lordofthenerds said:
It seems like Venom will just be a secondary character to me. It sounds like he'll have the least amount of screentime and according to the Q&A he actually dies with the little screentime he has. Also he isn't part of the climax, its just the Symbiote versus Spidey.

Really??

Owtch. That's a kick in the balls to the Venom fans.

The weird thing is.... Venom really should be the main character in any Spidey film where he's introduced. Even though I'm not a big Venom fan anymore (lost interest around 1993), I still say that he's impressive enough and important enough to merit top-billing onscreen.

-Which is why I still just don't get why we need Sandman and Gwen Stacy in a movie that would already be quite full of storylines with just Harry/GG2 and Eddie/Venom as the main villains. :confused:

At this point I'm sometimes really tempted to just walk away from the weird questions, the hype and the spoilers and just not think about SM3 until next May rolls around.

-- But I'm afraid I'm too much of a fanboy to do something that sensible. :(

I have a good feeling Sandman may be in it more than the other two villians, but I believe Venom will be built up the most. Everything in the movie just leads up to him. He may not be in it the most, but he'll likely be the main focus, at least the way I see it.

Sandman will be the main villain, no questions asked. Venom will be important, but I kinda doubt that he'll have a bigger role than Sandman in this movie.

GreenMamba said:
I have a good feeling Sandman may be in it more than the other two villians, but I believe Venom will be built up the most. Everything in the movie just leads up to him. He may not be in it the most, but he'll likely be the main focus, at least the way I see it.

I also think Sandman
mixed-smiley-003.gif
will be in it the most.

A friend of mine made the samepoint the other day. and up till now i haden't concidered it. I wish that venom was a the main villian. but from what i've seen it seems as if they will make sandman the main guy reflecting the past 2 movies and it's focus on more classic spider-man villians. venom will probley pop up at the start of the third act and make some secondary apperance. brock will muddle around the whole film saying "screw you petey". harry will glide in in the middle and i'm praying form a lizard apperance if the 4th villian thing still holds up.

RampageGS said:
A friend of mine made the samepoint the other day. and up till now i haden't concidered it. I wish that venom was a the main villian. but from what i've seen it seens as if they will make sandmain the main guy reflecting the past 2 movies and it's focus on more classic spider-man villians. venom will probley pop up at the start of the third act and make some secondary apperance. brock will muddkle around the whole film saying "screw you petey". harry will glide in in the middle and i'm praying form a lizard apperance if the 4th villian thing still holds up.

Well, if they keep Venom alive, then he'll be the main villian for sure in the next one. But that ain't gonna happen cause Venom's gonna bite it in this one.
angry-smiley-053.gif

lordofthenerds said:

WEll I readed the Q&A and never read that venom wouldn't be in the climax but the opposite,acording to the Q&A venom will be in the final battle and he will probably kill harry too.

Gommi said:
I suspect Venom will in fact not be a significant character, only making a relatively short appearance. The focus seems to be on Sandman, GG2, and Peter's own internal struggle with the symbiote.

His appearance may be short but trust he will be a significant character. Rami said the he didn't used to like Venom because he was too one dimensional. But now his learnt more about the character and his more respect for him. Rami likes to humanize his characters as much as possible and give them a psychological edge.

I think there's going to be alot more to venom than meets the eye. I dont think his gona be some random psycho and given ten minutes screen time just for the sake of it.

I belive within the period leading up to the movie release, there is going to be alot of promotion around venom. Rami is aware of how popular he is and what impact his going to have on the audience.

I just want to know, why are you guys debating this when at the comic con conference Sam Raim said "One of the main villains is (makes a mom joke)...Venom". I think that was meant to announce him as the main villain. This is what I've been told on the imdb.com boards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"