• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Dark Knight Scenes Edited Differently on the DVD Than in the Theatrical Cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could of sworn at least there was one cut. The scene where rachel and Dent walk up to the box office right before the boat scene. Right before the walk up, there was this wide shot of them getting out of the taxi and approaching the box office? Did anyone else notice this?

when batman and gordon are in the vault, i always thought when batman leaves, they showed a shot of gordon. Anyone remember that?

as the one who's seen it 106 times, there is No different cut. what many of you have seen on the DVD, was first seen in the theater, at all times. and vice versa to those who've seen it more than 5 times in the theater.... same as the DVD. as many trailers, clips, bootlegged (or not) scripts, even the novelization, are not in the DVD or the theatrical cut.
can't call me crazy.... ok, you can.... but who would care?

:up: this...

Absolutely nothing was changed. You can go see it in theaters today if you're not convinced.

and this...

First factually correct thing said in this entire thread.

jokerpinkmustachewg9.jpg

genuis.

there is one cut of the movie. i may have not seen it as many times as my man byte but there is one cut. theatrical/bootleg/dvd/blu ray/ imax are all the same.

the trailers must be getting jumbled in yer heads.

as saint said go see it. its back in theatres now. take notes. the differences are just not there.

There are no differences. Memory is unreliable. When you see a shot that implies something but doesn't actually show it, your memory thinks it saw it. Believe me, THERE ARE NO DIFFERENCES. There were many differences from the trailers, but not the actual movie itself.

Well, 3 pages of posts have convinced me that I guess I was wrong. Funny thing, tho, is that when I watched it with my roommate, we both agreed. I'm the bigger fan out of the two of us, that's why I'm on this site, haha. In any case, it's interesting how memory works. I must be remembering "then you're gonna love me" from the trailers because I always loved it. It's funny that when I saw it in theaters tho, I didn't notice the difference; only on DVD. O well...

Theatrical cut / DVD cut
thedarkknight0ym3.jpg

Imax cut / Blu-ray cut
thedarkknightbonus41tq7.jpg
That's just from the crop. The letter burns differently from the theatrical to the IMAX. It smolders in 35mm, while there's a little jump of flame in the IMAX. Michael Caine is also holding it differently.

I could of sworn at least there was one cut. The scene where rachel and Dent walk up to the box office right before the boat scene. Right before the walk up, there was this wide shot of them getting out of the taxi and approaching the box office? Did anyone else notice this?
There's a wide shot of Harvey/Rachel getting out of a taxi, but that was earlier in the film where Bruce is monitoring them.

There are no differences. Memory is unreliable. When you see a shot that implies something but doesn't actually show it, your memory thinks it saw it. Believe me, THERE ARE NO DIFFERENCES. There were many differences from the trailers, but not the actual movie itself.
You could have used a more appropriate quote:

Leonard Shelby said:
Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts.

:cwink:

Memento FTW.
To go OT a little bit, was reading a short article in Time magazine about the Hudson River plane landing - people did panic at first, but once they realized that they weren't going to die right away, calm and order took over. People filed out of the plane through the emergency exits, walked out onto the wing and went into the rafts to wait for help.

So that's +1 for the outcome on the ferries actually happening in real life.

The Nolans have extrapolated stuff like this before. When Memento came out in 2001, nobody really knew what anterograde amnesiacs could or couldn't remember. But in a recent NatGeo article about it, apparently all of what the Nolans guessed at, they got right. Anterograde amnesiacs can learn physical habits that are akin to memory, and some of them were actually aware that they had it.

So, yeah. Memento and the Nolans FTW. :up:

The OP is confusing theatrical cut with the trailer, which was (understandably) cut very differently.

That's just from the crop. The letter burns differently from the theatrical to the IMAX. It smolders in 35mm, while there's a little jump of flame in the IMAX. Michael Caine is also holding it differently.

There's a wide shot of Harvey/Rachel getting out of a taxi, but that was earlier in the film where Bruce is monitoring them.

You could have used a more appropriate quote:

:cwink:

Yeah, I know about that shot. I meant in that same scene are about to go into the balle place there was a back wide shot of them. Plus, it seems the music and timing was off in the DVD cut when I noticed it. That que seemed to go on longer.

What scenes/shots did u guys notice were edited differently than they were in the theatrical cut? I noticed two off the top of my head. In the scene where the Joker crashes that party and says "Where's Harvey Dent?" and he telling Rachel how he got his scars. When he says "I put a razor in my mouth, and do this." In the theatrical cut, I remember the camera being on his face but in the DVD, the shot is more from behind his head. Also, in that same scene, the awesomely cool "Then you're gonna love me!" In the theatrical cut, you actually see Batman say that line but on the DVD, the voice is heard off-screen. I personally like the theatrical cut of both of these better. Anybody else notice these and others? Why the changes?

I think you're confusing these cuts with the takes shown in the trailers...

The DVD and Theatrical cuts are the same, as far as I've noticed.

Yeah, I know about that shot. I meant in that same scene are about to go into the balle place there was a back wide shot of them. Plus, it seems the music and timing was off in the DVD cut when I noticed it. That que seemed to go on longer.
No idea about that.

Find a cam-bootlegged version and compare. :oldrazz: I think that's the only way we'll know for sure.

The Nolans have extrapolated stuff like this before. When Memento came out in 2001, nobody really knew what anterograde amnesiacs could or couldn't remember. But in a recent NatGeo article about it, apparently all of what the Nolans guessed at, they got right. Anterograde amnesiacs can learn physical habits that are akin to memory, and some of them were actually aware that they had it.

Do you really think that the Nolans extrapolated or "guessed" at this material?

I bet they did a bit of research and learned all of this before writing the screenplay (or rather, Jonathon did before writing his short story that the movie is based upon). It's not that "nobody really knew" any of it - it just wasn't all that common knowledge among the public.

But when I was a kid - before Momento came out - I remember a woman came to our school to tell us about the consequences of drunk driving. She had the same condition, and told us all about how she relied on notes and muscle memory to get through her day.

Not to take away from the Nolans, of course. Quite the contrary - their dedication to research and realism is part of the genius of their movies. Their stories are made all the more interesting because they are based on fact, not fantasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"