• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Scooby-Doo: Return to Zombie Island

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
Wait, WHAT?!

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Premieres 'Batman: Hush', 'Teen Titans Go!', More at San Diego Comic-Con 2019
World Premiere of Scooby-Doo! Return to Zombie Island
Sunday, July 21 – 10:15-11:45am
Pack your Scooby Snacks and join the Mystery Inc. gang as the teen sleuths embark on a wild and spooky vacation with zombies and cat people on Scooby-Doo! Return to Zombie Island, an all-new, original film. Be among the first live audience to see this follow-up to the classic, best-selling Scooby-Doo! film, Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island, as this new animated adventure finds Scooby-Doo and his pals taking a much-deserved vacation to a tropical island. Instead of getting rest and relaxation, however, they find themselves wrapped up in one of their biggest mysteries yet! Produced by Warner Bros. Animation, the film arrives this fall from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. 6BCF

Love me some Scooby. Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island is one of my favourites. Looking forward to this.

Well that was unexpected.

For a second there I thought they were making another live action one lol the 2002 one and the sequel are guilty pleasure's of mine :funny:

Wait so if it's Return to Zombie Island, wouldn't they know it's the same island from last time? Or this is just another zombie island.

For a second there I thought they were making another live action one lol the 2002 one and the sequel are guilty pleasure's of mine :funny:
Ditto! :up: (I've never bothered with the live action DtV ones though)

Looking forward to this. Zombie Island and Mystery Inc., are, in my opinion, the only truly “good” things from the Scooby-Doo franchise.

Sadly, I think this will undoubtedly be inferior to the first film. Those four Scooby Mook Animation films were something special.

We'll see.
I've already accepted that the quality of animation probably won't be at that level, I just hope they strike the same chord tonally.

I want to be excited but don't want my hopes up to high since they'll probably butcher it.

The first Zombie Island was the best Scooby movie.

“Cause it’s terrrrrorrrrrrr time again!!”

I can't believe that **** is 20 years old!!!

Nowhere near as details as the first. Mostly due to a Japanese studio animating it

Like I said, matching the animation style was never going to happen. I just hope the tone of the first movie will be more or less intact.

It totally wont be living up to the original.

Be wary of spoilers.

This is a tough one to judge. I adore Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island... I first saw it when I was 8 and it brought me into the world of Mystery Inc. In fact, all four Mook animation projects were stunning. The nostalgia is strong and with this being the Great Dane's 50th, Return to Zombie Island had alot to live up to.

Sadly, it just doesn't manage it for me. First the positives:

- The animation is mostly quite beautiful, with colours that pop and some nice fluidity.
- The score is effective (although Kral steals from his own Justice League Dark motif which was too distracting for me).
- The main cast members are (as always) giving it their all.

Now the negatives:

- The film is severely lacking in atmosphere. Zombie Island was dripping in atmosphere, but this is just too bright (sometimes I miss the old ink and paint), too funny and too cheery, with no sense of dread. Don't tell me it's made for kids. That didn't stop the creative team back in 97/98 from giving me a few spooks and scares.
- The ''we promise not to solve any mysteries'' stuff went on a bit too long for me. It felt like it was stopping the story from kicking into high gear.
- The movie conceit was too meta and frankly a little boring. I think the creative team feels this made the movie clever, but it felt undercooked.
- The two songs were average at best, as were the set pieces.

Also, just what does WB and the current producers have against Scooby actually partaking in a supernatural adventure? In this current Scooby era, going ''all in'' would have felt more fresh. A shame too that Welker is the only person from the original production to return. Even a Tara Strong cameo as Lena would have been welcome.

Bottom line, it's a totally average Scooby Doo movie, very evocative of the current output. Kids will get some enjoyment out of it, but older fans probably won't find much to excite them.

I watched that 3 minute clip. That song sucked.

The original is a well-done, legit good film. It holds up shockingly well. It was a kids film - but it respected that audience in a way a lot of animated films just did not usually.

The second film is everything that film is not.

I miss when Scooby and the Gang dealt with a mix of a mystery and a real monster. That's why I loved those films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"