• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Comics Scott Summers needs a rival

Silvermoth

Krakoan native
Reaction score
Charles has Magneto. Wolverine had Sabretooth. Even Emma had Jean Grey. I think it's critical that Cyclops has a nemesis also.

So who would you suggest?

I'ld love to see Gabriel Summers become Scott's nemesis but they would need to change his powers to something that isn't Deus ex Machina and get him out of space.

Too bad we can't drag Batman from DC...wait, he's not a villain...

...Sinister will do if written right I suppose.

neh...Sinister is more of an X-men villian. When he turns up, people don't say "How will Cyclops react to this". A nemesis should be personal.

But Scott has a personal reason to react to Sinister, and Sinister has planned his moves regarding to Scott since he was a child.

Until there's a better option shows up, Sinister is the closest I can think of.

His nemesis is definetly Mr. Sinister. Sinister is more connected to Scott than any of the other X-men

Mr Sinister is definetly about as close to an arch-enemy as scotts got. Although when Vulcan comes back he could be a bigger enemy for scott.

Vulcan doesn't really count, his biggest issue is that he was left to die/cast aside, it's not something personal between him and Scott.

Scott could have been Vulcan's but they decided to use Alex as his arch rival instead. All the development has gone to Havok and Scott and Vulcan dont really have that deep personal rivalry as a result

Come to think of it, Alex did not have the same emotional connection to Vulcan as Scott did (however small as it was), he'd feel more willing to beat up his baby brother than Scott would anyway, and also gives Alex something to do (though in the end it was Blackbolt who took care of Vulcan).

:o Scott has had the best of rivals in history...Mr. Sinsister, His brother, Norman Osborn and even Apocalypse...lets not forget all humans that dont like mutants....he's got enuff already...

I would hardly call Norman Osborn a rival. Havok is debatable but I wouldnt place him there either, although Id agree with Sinister and Apocalypse. Sinster is his main one though

Am I the only one who finds that third statement just plain wrong?? :(:dry:
lol...same here. I guess Jean is being counted as her rival bc Emma stole her husband. If I had to choose one person in Emma's history, I would say Selene and/or her sister Adrienne were more of an arch nemesis for her

There are emotional rivals and philosophical rivals, rivals of any sort.

If you look at the first two examples:

Charles has Magneto.
Wolverine
had Sabretooth.

It's the Hero and his corresponding Villain.

Emma had Jean Grey.

What I was trying to point out is, now, Jean Grey is seen as the villain... :csad:

Well, she's arguably the most notorious mutant on the planet. (Speaking from the POV of the millions killed by her)

Last edited:
Am I the only one who finds that third statement just plain wrong?? :(:dry:

I like to think an antoganist is far more than a battle foe. They're are an idealogical, personal mirror to the protaganist. Jean and Emma have never truly seen eye to eye and both are liked in combat just as much as Magneto and Charles.

They may work together but they're rivalry defines themselves...and each other.

I like to think an antoganist is far more than a battle foe. They're are an idealogical, personal mirror to the protaganist. Jean and Emma have never truly seen eye to eye and both are liked in combat just as much as Magneto and Charles.

They may work together but they're rivalry defines themselves...and each other.
I wouldnt say Emma defines Jean in any way. If I had to pick Jean's nemesis it would defiently be Maddie. There's no deeper counterpart than your genetic clone who went evil, crazy and tried to kill you.

I would say Jean's nemesis is the Phoenix force but Emma's is Jean IMO but we're a bit off topic here.

I suppose later on they are shaped to as some kind of rivals to each other, they are even opposite on the coloring basis, which probably gave the writers some idea.

Eh. I guess. But if Sinister is someone's specific arch nemesis, I think he'd be Gambit's.
I think his association with Cyclops trumps Gambit. Sinister has been obsesed with Cyclops for over a century. He's been messing with him since he was a kid and that obsession followed Scott into adulthood

I really think that the case can be made that's he's actually far more obsessed with Gambit now.

Sinister isnt even a 'he' anymore.

And that is all Scott right there

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"