Strange New Worlds Season 1, Episode 3: "Ghosts of Illyria" (SPOILERS)

Perfect Cell

I wish you weren't so f***in' awkward, bud
Reaction score
71N4h0E.jpeg

The U.S.S. Enterprise encounters a contagion that ravages the ship. One by one, the entire crew is incapacitated except for Number One, Una Chin-Riley, who must now confront a secret she’s been hiding as she races to find a cure.

I want that jacket.

"On this very special episode, Number One tries to herd a bunch of cats who can't stop chasing laser pointers."

This was a much more uneven episode than the first two. Beyond the general cliches of "unknown virus gets aboard the ship, chaos ensues" that are practically a staple of the franchise, there was just a general lack of tension throughout the episode. You never really felt like there was any cause for concern, even when sickbay is filling up to the rafters. Things progressed so quickly, from the outbreak, to the epidemic, to it being resolved off-screen. Things were kinda by-the-numbers. A very boilerplate kind of episode.

But in terms of strengths, I do think M'Benga and Number One were big standouts. M'Benga in particular got a lot of moments to shine, even if I am starting to get a little wary of every character's tragic backstory. His conversation with Number One about the way bigotry never really disappears, and how it just evolves to find new targets, was probably the best scene of the episode. A constant theme throughout the episode is the uncertainty about whether or not the crew would be truly tolerant of Una or La'an (or any genetically engineered people) if they weren't "some of the good ones", as Una put it. That it's easy to look past it for Pike and the crew because they saved their lives, not because it's truly the right thing to do. Of course, I do think Pike is genuine in his acceptance, but that doesn't erase Una's fears, which have been reinforced by a lifetime of prejudices.

BUT, OH BOY am I nervous about where this Khan connection goes in the future. We all knew with the character's name that something was going to happen with La'an, but I really don't want that to become a big thing in the future. But I'm sure it will, and it's going to connect to the baffling scene from the end of season two of Picard.

Overall, it's the weakest of the three to me, but it had a number of stellar moments and character developments. And Hemmer continues to be the best.

Yeah, definitely the weakness. But I enjoyed a lot of the character beats. That last log from Number One hit hard, and M'Benga, I could just watch him act all day.

I'm not too worried about La'an being related to that one guy. Mainly as even when they go there, I expect them to handle it well after these first few episodes. But it wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong.

Episode had the most Chapel. I definitely approved. :o

Yeah, definitely the weakness. But I enjoyed a lot of the character beats. That last log from Number One hit hard, and M'Benga, I could just watch him act all day.

I'm not too worried about La'an being related to that one guy. Mainly as even when they go there, I expect them to handle it well after these first few episodes. But it wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong.

Episode had the most Chapel. I definitely approved. :o

The Khan thing could turn out ok, I'm just worried based on the blunt cudgel Picard used.

In the season two finale, Brent Spiner's villainous character has his plans thwarted and all his research destroyed. So he pulls out a dusty folder from his desk, and on the cover is a big label that says "Project Khan". It was so blatant and shameless in its pandering. Project Khan? That's the best they could think of for one of their big cliffhangers? He's not the only genetically engineered superman from that time, why would it only be named after him? It only served to flare people's nostalgia, and I have so little faith that it's going to turn into anything positive. But that's Picard, which is the butts. I'm at least optimistic that SNW won't head down a similar path of "remember this guy, everyone? He's back, in POG form."

The Khan thing could turn out ok, I'm just worried based on the blunt cudgel Picard used.

In the season two finale, Brent Spiner's villainous character has his plans thwarted and all his research destroyed. So he pulls out a dusty folder from his desk, and on the cover is a big label that says "Project Khan". It was so blatant and shameless in its pandering. Project Khan? That's the best they could think of for one of their big cliffhangers? He's not the only genetically engineered superman from that time, why would it only be named after him? It only served to flare people's nostalgia, and I have so little faith that it's going to turn into anything positive. But that's Picard, which is the butts. I'm at least optimistic that SNW won't head down a similar path of "remember this guy, everyone? He's back, in POG form."
Yeah, I'm aware of that unfortunate lunacy. I'm hoping it's just blah that's attached to Picard.

I am so glad I didn't say anything about this episode's title in the other threads. I figured since it was called ghost of Illyria it would be about number one's past. Yet again another tragic backstory, but not just 1 we got 2 this time and some more tragedy from La'an.

I think this episode was better than the other 2. The writers of this episode hopefully have more to come. On a side note the count right now for Spock's emotional outburst is 2-1. The writers even address some questions one might have about the implications of Number one's identity. These writers seem to get it. It does remind me of DS9's episode about Doctor Bashir. Although to be honest that is a way better episode and show, but we are just starting so that remains to be seen. That episode has consequences and this one seems to let everyone go no matter what they have done. Again we shall see how this plays out for both Number One and M'benga.

We finally got to see Number one do something. I liked that Spock and Pike left together. I want to see them do more away missions. I liked seeing Number one in command. The line about Number one being the "best first officer in the fleet" will later be said about Spock in TOS. I found this to be a nice nod to TOS. I thought this version of Nurse Chapel was way better, until the end where we started to see her joke around again.
I don't like the interactions some of the crew have with their superiors. I really am not liking the Chief Engineer. I don't know if that is how he will always act or it was just the infection. I wondered why no one else tried Uhura's console since she is just a cadet and is prone to mistakes. That was an oversight. I thought the dummy legs over Una's shoulder were a funny thing but it reminds me of the TOS fight scenes with the stunt doubles.

Overall a much better episode than the other two. It still has some things I didn't like, but so far we have some improvement.

I did also enjoy how the cadets sleep in little closet bunks. Some might say it looks claustrophobic, but I want that **** in my room right now. Looks cozy. The ones in Lower Decks are still the funniest though, because they're right in the middle of a hallway.

I did also enjoy how the cadets sleep in little closet bunks. Some might say it looks claustrophobic, but I want that **** in my room right now. Looks cozy. The ones in Lower Decks are still the funniest though, because they're right in the middle of a hallway.
Yeah I like those type of beds. If you ever played star citizen they use similar types of beds, really sci fi looking.

The weakest of the three episodes so far, but still a good episode overall. They really fleshed out Rebecca Romjin's character in this episode which what I enjoyed the most about it tbh.

Also, Babs Olusanmokun is such a charismatic and versatile actor. I knew I recognized him from other stuff I've seen him in, but I had no idea he was this strong of a dramatic actor.

Really good episode again. Two reveals about major characters, neither of which I saw coming. M'Benga's though... :csad:

I can suspend a lot of disbelief for the sake of a story, but to imagine that someone could achieve the rank of Commander without anyone ever noticing that she's of a different species than she claims... Nope, that's asking too much. Even in the 23rd Century, doctors still go to school and stuff to learn this sort of thing; medical qualifications aren't that different from how they are now.

I can suspend a lot of disbelief for the sake of a story, but to imagine that someone could achieve the rank of Commander without anyone ever noticing that she's of a different species than she claims... Nope, that's asking too much. Even in the 23rd Century, doctors still go to school and stuff to learn this sort of thing; medical qualifications aren't that different from how they are now.

From the basic info the Starfleet has of the Illyrians, it would be hard to find that genetic difference. Tech couldn't find anything different in Una until she herself said it.

For any fans thinking that after 50 years of Star Trek we finally got to know Number One’s real name, it’s time to rewrite that Trivial Pursuit card again.

I didn't care for this one as much as the first two, but I really do appreciate how each episode thus far has put different members of the crew in the spotlight. Really feels like an actual ensemble show and I dig it. M'Benga's reveal got me choked up. :cry:

I really like the approach of new adventures, worlds, discoveries etc in every episode that SNW is taking here like back in the older days. Hence I of course totally expect to personally enjoy some episodes less. And that's perfectly fine if they keep it up like this.

I prefer last episode's story more than this one, but I really liked Number One's heroic performance, and also another backstory here with her character. And of course M'Benga's (who from the start was a great sympathetic character) twist with the daughter hit this old crappy sentimental heart pretty hard as well.

Still not sure if those snarky remarks/"dry humour wits" constantly coming out of that Andorian guy (Hemmer?) will outstay it's welcome, of if it'll grow on me. The typical "snarky remarks guy/gal" can be either over all fun or getting totally annoying pretty fast. We'll see. Still like this way more than DSC just three episodes in.

The comments made thus far about this episode reflect my own. Uneven, but still good. Had some real gems in it, but not loving that every character is getting some secret, tragic backstory. M'Benga hiding his daughter, Una hiding her species, etc.

Also, maybe I am a bit slow on the uptake, but has anyone else noticed they have done something weird with Number One's eyebrows? They look almost Vulcan now, which is not natural for Romijn or how she appeared on Discovery. I guess this is part of the retcon of Number One's origins?

The comments made thus far about this episode reflect my own. Uneven, but still good. Had some real gems in it, but not loving that every character is getting some secret, tragic backstory. M'Benga hiding his daughter, Una hiding her species, etc.

Also, maybe I am a bit slow on the uptake, but has anyone else noticed they have done something weird with Number One's eyebrows? They look almost Vulcan now, which is not natural for Romijn or how she appeared on Discovery. I guess this is part of the retcon of Number One's origins?

Huh, they are definitely different. Could just be a style choice, I suppose. Maybe she overgroomed one side with whatever futuristic trimmer they use in the 23rd century, and she had to even it out.

As an aside, I looked up a picture of her from Discovery, and I was reminded of how godawful the Enterprise uniforms from that show were. That collar is a damn mess. Throwing them in the incinerator is another thing this show has done right.

I noticed the upswept eyebrows, but I think they just appear more prominent in this episode because of how she has her hair tied back so tightly.

I really liked this episode. We saw some vulnerability for Number One for a change, which was interesting. I'm glad we got to learn more about her and her Illyrian heritage.

I do like that this show has a strong sense of the ensemble. They are establishing, building, and developing characters other than just Pike and Spock. I liked the reveal that the spectors were not malevolent and really tragic. Made this feel a bit like a Doctor Who episode.

I think Lt. La'an being Khan's descendant is sort of weird and convoluted. To me, it's kind of doing this thing prequels sometimes do of introducing these big, game-changing characters or ideas that weren't present in the original and are so big and game-changing that they should've already been established or mentioned.

Also no Kirk this episode, interesting... hmm...

Huh, they are definitely different. Could just be a style choice, I suppose. Maybe she overgroomed one side with whatever futuristic trimmer they use in the 23rd century, and she had to even it out.

As an aside, I looked up a picture of her from Discovery, and I was reminded of how godawful the Enterprise uniforms from that show were. That collar is a damn mess. Throwing them in the incinerator is another thing this show has done right.
Yeah, I did too because I was like, have they always been like that? But they have not. While I agree these uniforms are in general way better than the Discovery variant, I have to admit that I miss Romijn in the tight shirt and pants for very base reasons. I also miss her Cage-inspired full wavy hair... One again for very base reasons.

But for less base reasons, I gotta say that I don't really love the dress skirt uniform variant. Something about the black side panels... Too TNG era looking maybe?

Yeah, I did too because I was like, have they always been like that? But they have not. While I agree these uniforms are in general way better than the Discovery variant, I have to admit that I miss Romijn in the tight shirt and pants for very base reasons. I also miss her Cage-inspired full wavy hair... One again for very base reasons.

But for less base reasons, I gotta say that I don't really love the dress skirt uniform variant. Something about the black side panels... Too TNG era looking maybe?

Yeah, there are a few uniforms in this show that have those black accents and side panels. Kyle in the transporter room has a weird vest version. I do like the idea of them breaking up the monotony in the uniforms by adding touches of flare to different departments and situations. It makes each department feel more specialized. But the black is very... familiar. It's very TNG, you're right.

Kyle kinda looks like he's cosplaying as Ermac from Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"