Black Lightning Season 1, Episode 5 - "Aches and Pains"

Pennywise

Avenger
Reaction score
PAYBACK IS A ***** - An unexpected phone call unearths the long-buried need for Jefferson (Cress Williams) to investigate the murder of his father. Meanwhile, Annisa (Nafessa Williams) wrestles with the fact that her actions have dire consequences. Lastly, Jennifer (China Anne McClain) learns the importance of controlling her temper - in all situations. Christine Adams, James Remar, Damon Gupton and Marvin Jones III also star. The episode was written by Adam Giaudrone and directed by Rose Troche (#105). Original airdate 2/13/2018.

Read more: Listings - BLACK LIGHTNING on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listings/20180126cw05/#ixzz56HHnlCkO

Didn't know this would be on a two-week break, too. Ah well, looking forward to its return.

Hope that Anissa's outfit is a work in progress because the 'mask' she has won't do.

OMG the OG Thunder costume! It actually doesnt look to bad.

Didn't know this would be on a two-week break, too. Ah well, looking forward to its return.

Hope that Anissa's outfit is a work in progress because the 'mask' she has won't do.

We've already seen her official outfit so....

I'm annoyed that they didn't have a onset photographer on the days she was filming so we could get a nice HQ pic of it.

Last edited:
Oh, is there? Haven't seen that myself, so will look for that.

Well, however it turns out, the mask should change.

Oh, is there? Haven't seen that myself, so will look for that.

Well, however it turns out, the mask should change.

Mhmm. This is just her starter outfit. Her final outfit is completely different.

Best episode of the season so far! 9.5/10

OMG the OG Thunder costume! It actually doesnt look to bad.

That's because it wasn't an exact copy of that terrible original outfit, lol. I thought it was cool that they paid homage to it, though.

A good episode for Jennifer than anything else.

Great episode . And yeah , Anissa's awesome. :mnm:. Lynn is still my favorite though:ilv:.

I have to say, Anissa and Jennifer are portrayed perfectly as siblings. I also love the when Anissa was going through her closet with the dramatic music, which stopped when she stopped to ask Jennifer about her hoody (which she was wearing), and then resumed when returned to her closet.

I do hope they never touch the music budget in this show. It would lose an integral piece of its identity if they lost their music.

WHAT mask?? All i saw was some gold sort of looking face paint over the bridge of the nose..

A good episode for Jennifer than anything else.

I am liking her side antics more than dads...

BUT i really hated how mom went off on what the younger daughter did...

And as for dad.. I wonder if his 'isssue' is cause his body's finaly starting to deteriorate from all the energy he's generated??

Does anyone have a pic of the comic costume for Thunder? Is it what she wore this episode?

Wasn't that Huggy Bear who was the old man who gave all the info on Pierce's father?

It was essentially, with red spandex replacing the revealing parts of her original costume.

I will say, I am glad that Gambi hiding Tobias from Jefferson is a bit more complicated than just keeping Jefferson from getting obsessed with him again. I do wonder what is exactly Gambi's deal, with Lady Eve's group.

Does anyone have a pic of the comic costume for Thunder? Is it what she wore this episode?

thunder.jpg

Wasn't that Huggy Bear who was the old man who gave all the info on Pierce's father?

Yes. Antonio Fargas.

Doesn't her comic costume look more pink/purple though? And she seems to have leopard-skin sleeves.

That "mask" she wore is like the make up Oliver Queen wore in the first season of Arrow.

Will Jefferson be able to recognise his own daughter, or is he going to get fooled by her disguise?

BTW, I prefer this costume to the final one she's getting which looks more like Black Lightning's. This makes her look more her own individual superhero. And it's colourful too.

Last edited:
You would HOPE if he meets the daughter in the field, both would recognize one another..

You would HOPE if he meets the daughter in the field, both would recognize one another..

Well they better not get with each other for a superhero affair thinking that it's okay to have a fling with a stranger in their costumed identities.

Well we saw in the first episode that his daughters don't recognize him in costume. They explained in the next episode that looking at his face is "like looking into a spotlight".

Nice, loved it. Even wore the wig. Meanwhile the Legionnaires are traipsing around in all black like a bunch of mall cops instead of proper super-heroes.

I don't know how long Anissa will be wearing this one (promo shots have her and Jenn wearing less colorful super-suits later) but I'm glad this one made it into the show anyway.

Another good episode. I'm liking the little bit of background they gave us about certain things.

I am also liking the kind of power play between that mortuary woman (forget her name) and Tobias...

The costume was pretty cool, for a starter outfit. I'm looking forward to seeing her in action a lot more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"