Strange New Worlds Season 2, Episode 1 "The Broken Circle" (Spoiler Thread)

DarthSkywalker

Your Most Aggro Pal (he/him)
Reaction score
i-would-like-the-ship-to-go-now-spock.gif

A distress call from Lt. Noonien-Singh compels Spock to disobey orders and take the USS Enterprise and its crew into disputed space, risking renewed hostilities with the Klingons in a bid to aid their shipmate.

Written by Henry Alonso Myers & Akiva Goldsman
Directed by Chris Fisher

Rather liked this. Fun plot, great space battle, Spock was hilarious, and I really enjoyed the focus on M'Benga and Chapel, both of which were their usual awesome selves.

Last edited:
Great episode to return to. I was expecting more focus on Una's trial, but I will gladly take a fun adventure with Klingons instead.

Good to see Lt Mitchell seemingly to get a bit of a bump in role. Though I hope they didn't get rid of Chief Kyle. I really need to know how he terrorizes ensigns.

The Klingon make up was great. I liked that they seemed to be willing to go beyond the hairstyles we've seen, and really expand on the forehead makeup. Still very much of what we think of as Klingon, but different.

I find it interesting that they seem to be focusing on the after effects of the war on the crew. Something covered occaisonally on DS9, but we also didn't a full post war season.

Spock as captain was great. Really needed to get that early practice in on stealing the Enterpirse. I do like that they gave a reasonable explanation on why emotions can kill Vulcans. Loved how he made peace with the Klingon commander. And then the hangover the next day was great.

The ship chase was amazing. Star Trek loves their outer space phenomina, and I loved those red crystal asteroids. Plus, nice seeing the old D7 again for the Klingons.

Chief Pelia was great. Look forward to seeing more of her. And already pre-installed reason for her to leave.

Great to have the show back.

While I was initially a bit sad it seemed Pike was checking out of this premiere early (I've really missed him, ok?!), I'm always happy to see Spock take center stage, so this was a lot of fun.

I liked their take on the Gorn last season, so I'm looking forward to what they're setting up here.

I'd forgotten Carol Kane has joined the cast, so that was a lovely surprise too.

This show returning right as S&L's season is ending is lovely timing. My two comfort shows. :hrt:

An independently-built ship with that configuration, in a confrontation between Starfleet and the Klingons, gets blown to smithereens. If I had to guess whether or not this was a dig at Axanar...

That D7 is gorgeous! They are really nailing the updated designs on this show. So much better than the design work on Discovery or Picard.

And they retcon-ed Discovery's Crossfield-class to actually look like a half decent TOS era Federation starship.

And they retcon-ed Discovery's Crossfield-class to actually look like a half decent TOS era Federation starship.

The Crossfield class resembles the Ares class from Axanar, a controversial independent production about the Federation-Klingon war. Sometimes a coincidence is just a coincidence, but the destruction of the renegade ship seemed symbolic to me.

Good to see Olusanmokun/M’Benga get some decent screen time. And Jess Bush is especially compelling. One of the show’s MVPs in my opinion.

What did they update about it? I forget what the old one was like?

you see a sick camera pan up and over the saucer and down the neck and between the the nacelles and a shot of asteroids bouncing off the shields.

One detail I liked is that Chapel and M'Benga had to juice up to fight the Klingons.
I remember a couple of episodes in DS9 where humans went hand to hand against Klingons and even won.

I liked the episode but it was a weird way to open the season. Sidelining Pike so fast was an interesting choice. I think it would make a better 2nd episode than premiere.

Discovery is going to be the "Enterprise" of modern ST I feel. It's impact on the lore is going to be next to none and they're first season is already being phased out by this show.

I mean, the showrunners have been pretty explicit that the war that Discovery skipped over is going to be a theme with some of the characters.

Showrunners warn that Pike will barely be in the first three episodes of 2nd season. Since last season was Pike-heavy, it makes sense to spotlight Spock and the rest of the crew. Pelia is a great addition to the cast.

This season premiere is on Youtube free for 1 week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"