Jessica Jones Season 2, Episode 13 "AKA Playland"

I think season 3 no doubt has to be more "superhero"ish. The ending set it up for us to move on from Jessica's past and her baggage as she builds a new life. I think with Jessica no longer being hamstrung by her past, and the emergence of Patsy as Hellcat, Season 3 will probably be about what it means to be a superhero (as Patsy and Jessica seem to have differing moral codes, and that will put them at odds).

Yeah, can see them having some powered run-ins in future.

I'm not arguing that Trish is a good guy. When you add this season all up, she was a bad guy who put the mass murdering cop killer down. Both of the lead characters of this show are pretty unlikable at this point.

Yeah...I get that Jessica's mom was brain damaged...but she was making decisions that she KNEW would lead to moments of rage...and I think it was clear that Jessica was not taking her somewhere that could cure her (like, maybe Wakanda). And how long before Jessica would decide that hanging with her mom all day, every day wasn't as fun as getting drunk and hooking up with random people? Then her mom wouldn't have an ineffective babysitter anymore. Plus...the idea that someone can kill a bunch of people, including a cop...and then just go on with their life because...you know...the star of the show is her daughter...is absurd. None of you would actually support that kind of thing outside of your fandom.

I guess my experience and opinion of the show is colored by my recent experiences. My mom passed a few weeks ago and frankly, if I was in Jessica's shoes and found out my mother was still alive, I wouldn't be so quick to want her in a jail cell, especially considering she's not totally in control of her mental faculties.

Her mother was a victim who SHOULD have died, but was experimented on without her consent and forced into a life that wasn't her own. While some here can only see the criminal activities she was involved in, I see the woman behind it.

While I don't agree with her methods, Jess was trying to help her mother and frankly, I probably would do the same thing.

In regards to Trish, frankly, she's responsible for literally everything bad that happened in the show. Jess' mom's breakout, the death of Mallus, the disintegration of Jess & Malcolm's friendship, Jess' mom's killing spree and finally, killing her mother. Trish was reckless, irresponsible, selfish and basically acted like an addict.

Malcolm was seriously the only likeable character in this Season. Well, and also Oscar and his kid. What's gonna happen to Trish when we get a Season 3? Is she gonna turn into Punisher light? Obviously she has no issues with murder if she deems it necessary. She had so much potential in Season 1. Season 2 utterly ruined her for me. Then again, I don't know what she's like in the comics and if she's supposed to be like this.

Last edited:
Trish I think may have the mantle for most unsympathetic origin for a superhero ever.

I still can't believe that she pretty much ****ed everyone over and was the cause of everything bad that happened this Season, and at the end she gets rewarded for it.

I don't know for a fact if season three should be inherently more superheroic, but with the possibility of Hellcat, I wouldn't mind it.

My hope for this season was a bit of a claustrophobic, paranoid conspiracy angle. I'm not sure there's room for that anymore, but that was one of Jessica Jones's earliest stories and I think it would work great.

Alternatively, I really wish Typhoid Mary was here. I think that character fits the scientific experimentation angle along with an interesting exploration of feminism that would really have worked. Contrast Jessica with both the Mary personality and the Typhoid personality and it would have been a blast.

I kind of think of Aliza as being the MCU Typhoid Mary. Similar idea.

Minus the split personality virgin/****e dichotomy or powers or costume/makeup. You're pretty much just left with government experiment and nothing else similar.

Minus the split personality virgin/****e dichotomy or powers or costume/makeup. You're pretty much just left with government experiment and nothing else similar.

To be fair, she did have mulitple personalities... just not the same as Mary. I do think it was a missed opportunity and they should have not gone back to her mother.

Man, I don’t even know what to say with this episode except “WTF Trish?!”

If she suits up as Hellcat in Season 3, I honestly hope that she gets stomped by the first super powered villain she runs into. I don't think she can ever be redeemed after the **** she pulled this season.

I guess my experience and opinion of the show is colored by my recent experiences. My mom passed a few weeks ago and frankly, if I was in Jessica's shoes and found out my mother was still alive, I wouldn't be so quick to want her in a jail cell, especially considering she's not totally in control of her mental faculties.

Her mother was a victim who SHOULD have died, but was experimented on without her consent and forced into a life that wasn't her own. While some here can only see the criminal activities she was involved in, I see the woman behind it.

While I don't agree with her methods, Jess was trying to help her mother and frankly, I probably would do the same thing.

In regards to Trish, frankly, she's responsible for literally everything bad that happened in the show. Jess' mom's breakout, the death of Mallus, the disintegration of Jess & Malcolm's friendship, Jess' mom's killing spree and finally, killing her mother. Trish was reckless, irresponsible, selfish and basically acted like an addict.

Okay...see...this is an important thing. What Jessica did was reasonable. She lost her mom...has always had this emptiness, is an addict...and now has her mom back. I UNDERSTAND why Jessica would make the BAD decisions that she makes. I can see where others might (I wouldn't...I'm not close at all with my family and HAVE called the cops on them in an instance where someone in my family committed a crime). Jessica is a well-developed and reasonably realistic character. BUT...that doesn't change the fact that she was assisting in the escape of a mass murdering cop killer. It's not open to debate. NONE OF US would accept the idea of mass murdering cop killers just walking the streets because their daughter wanted them to be free. Maybe The Raft is not where she belongs...but is there a mental hospital version of The Raft in the MCU? If so, then she belongs there. If not, then SURELY walking the streets as if it never happened can not be the answer. Jessica tried to prevent justice from being served. So...well developed character...realistic motivations...but a villain nevertheless.

I agree...Trish is also a bad guy. She was everything you stated...selfish, reckless etc. The fact that she is then rewarded with super powers is...again...a case of the people making the show being tone deaf, believing that just because these characters are the stars then they should be cheered on regardless of their actions.

And of course, though its out of place at the end of my comments about a superhero show, sorry for your loss.

Okay...see...this is an important thing. What Jessica did was reasonable. She lost her mom...has always had this emptiness, is an addict...and now has her mom back. I UNDERSTAND why Jessica would make the BAD decisions that she makes. I can see where others might (I wouldn't...I'm not close at all with my family and HAVE called the cops on them in an instance where someone in my family committed a crime). Jessica is a well-developed and reasonably realistic character. BUT...that doesn't change the fact that she was assisting in the escape of a mass murdering cop killer. It's not open to debate. NONE OF US would accept the idea of mass murdering cop killers just walking the streets because their daughter wanted them to be free. Maybe The Raft is not where she belongs...but is there a mental hospital version of The Raft in the MCU? If so, then she belongs there. If not, then SURELY walking the streets as if it never happened can not be the answer. Jessica tried to prevent justice from being served. So...well developed character...realistic motivations...but a villain nevertheless.

I agree...Trish is also a bad guy. She was everything you stated...selfish, reckless etc. The fact that she is then rewarded with super powers is...again...a case of the people making the show being tone deaf, believing that just because these characters are the stars then they should be cheered on regardless of their actions.

And of course, though its out of place at the end of my comments about a superhero show, sorry for your loss.

Thank you. Appreciate it.

I don't think it's fair to say Jess assisted in her mother's escape. She tried to put her in jail once and did. Then she was essentially kidnapped and realized that her mother was too strong for her to beat and it would have cost more lives if the cops tried to bring her in.

At every turn, Jess was trying to mitigate the loss of life AND help her mother who had a bad beat in life.

I mean, there were at least 3-4 times she tried to stop her mother and got thrown around like a rag doll for her efforts.

I don't think Trish was being portrayed unambiguously as a hero. Her downward spiral throughout the whole season was meant to cast doubt on her thought process, even as we understand to a degree why she made the choice she made. The morality of it is meant to be ambiguous, so likewise is her trajectory with her powers. I didn't see that as a reward at all. If anything it's a warning as to what she could become. I think there's a very good chance Hellcat will effectively be the villain of Season 3.

I don't think Trish was being portrayed unambiguously as a hero. Her downward spiral throughout the whole season was meant to cast doubt on her thought process, even as we understand to a degree why she made the choice she made. The morality of it is meant to be ambiguous, so likewise is her trajectory with her powers. I didn't see that as a reward at all. If anything it's a warning as to what she could become. I think there's a very good chance Hellcat will effectively be the villain of Season 3.

I like that idea conceptually, but they need to not make it about Patsy kills people and Jessica doesn't anymore. Too similar to DD and Punisher. They need to make it different somehow. But yeah, Hellcat's origin here screams villain more than hero to me. If they try to make her a hero, she is officially the least sympathetic superhero ever.

I like that idea conceptually, but they need to not make it about Patsy kills people and Jessica doesn't anymore. Too similar to DD and Punisher. They need to make it different somehow. But yeah, Hellcat's origin here screams villain more than hero to me. If they try to make her a hero, she is officially the least sympathetic superhero ever.

I'm not sure it's really about "killing vs. not killing". I think Jess doesn't really want to be a hero. She wants to be a PI, make a living and live a low profile life while Trish wants to essentially be an Avenger.

One IS a hero and one desperately wants to be one.

I'm not sure it's really about "killing vs. not killing". I think Jess doesn't really want to be a hero. She wants to be a PI, make a living and live a low profile life while Trish wants to essentially be an Avenger.

One IS a hero and one desperately wants to be one.

That angle would work and seems to be where they are going in a way. I just don't want any more "You're not a hero, heroes don't kill!" type speeches. Then it is too samey for me.

If she suits up as Hellcat in Season 3, I honestly hope that she gets stomped by the first super powered villain she runs into. I don't think she can ever be redeemed after the **** she pulled this season.

I feel the opposite I wish she killed the mom after her first appearance

Even if the mom had to die. You don't ****ing blow her brains out when she is sitting next to her daughter and they are having a moment.

With the Alias trio, I hope that Season 3 explores how they still don't seem satisfied with what they thought they want because they don't feel whole. I think much like the Avocados trio of Matt, Karen and Foggy have gotten in time for Daredevil season 3, Jessica, Trish and Malcolm need some time away from each other in order to get their acts together so that they can be a family again.

Last edited:
Alternatively, I really wish Typhoid Mary was here. I think that character fits the scientific experimentation angle along with an interesting exploration of feminism that would really have worked. Contrast Jessica with both the Mary personality and the Typhoid personality and it would have been a blast.

I thought that Inez seemed pretty close to being an MCU version of Typhoid Mary. She displayed quite a lot of Typhoid Mary's character traits: voyeuristic, sarcastic, distrustful of others, sexually inclined, criminally inclined, traumatized, erratic, bisexual, manipulative, etc. Since Inez is still alive, I wouldn't be surprised if they were to gradually build her up to be an MCU version of Typhoid Mary.

Inez as Typhoid Mary is an interesting idea. She doesn't have powers, though, which is no small part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"