Strange New Worlds Season 2, Episode 4 "Among the Lotus Eaters" (Spoilers)

DarthSkywalker

Your Most Aggro Pal (he/him)
Reaction score
DSFZROi.jpg

Returning to a planet that dredges up tragic memories, Captain Pike and his landing party find themselves forgetting everything, including their own identities as he confronts a ghost from his past.

Written by Kristen Beyer and Davy Perez
Directed by Eduardo Sánchez

Based on a quick synopsis I saw, I think this may be where the canon fights start. As I think we are heading to Rigel VII.

Based on a quick synopsis I saw, I think this may be where the canon fights start. As I think we are heading to Rigel VII.
Yes, we are. Why do you think that will start a fight?

This ep felt a bit more filler-y than the previous ones to me, despite taking us to Rigel VII. Still enjoyed it, though. Glad Pike's back. Having Ortegas narrate it felt a bit random, ngl, as she was far from the focus.

This ep felt a bit more filler-y than the previous ones to me, despite taking us to Rigel VII. Still enjoyed it, though. Glad Pike's back. Having Ortegas narrate it felt a bit random, ngl, as she was far from the focus.
Agreed. Also, the writing regarding Batel's position is rather sloppy. According to "A Quality of Mercy" and "Ad Astra per Aspera", she was a JAG officer and a lawyer. Now she is commanding a ship on normal duty, hoping to be promoted to commodore? Frankly, it doesn't make much sense.

There were complaints from Star Fleet JAG regarding unqualified ship captains and first officers acting as lawyers in several high-profile cases. So to compensate, Star Fleet agreed that a few lawyers could be starship captains.

:nerdy:

There were complaints from Star Fleet JAG regarding unqualified ship captains and first officers acting as lawyers in several high-profile cases. So to compensate, Star Fleet agreed that a few lawyers could be starship captains.

:nerdy:
Cough, that happened over a hundred years later, so it wouldn't make sense for this policy to be instituted in the 2250s. :funny:

LOVED the 'threading of the needle' such a bad ass scene

Today’s episode explains why the Kalar warrior from Star Trek’s “The Cage” was so caveman brutal like…the forgetting must of took it’s toll on him…

IMG_7744.jpeg

Today’s episode explains why the Kalar warrior from Star Trek’s “The Cage” was so caveman brutal like…the forgetting must of took it’s toll on him…

View attachment 66489
He wore a helmet, so he’d’ve been safe, and would’ve known that he could get away with anything against the vulnerable.

There’s probably a real-world parallel in that.

He wore a helmet, so he’d’ve been safe, and would’ve known that he could get away with anything against the vulnerable.

There’s probably a real-world parallel in that.
Maybe…but his helmet looks more made of fur and leather than the metal ones the guards were wearing in today’s episode tho?!

Maybe…but his helmet looks more made of fur and leather than the metal ones the guards were wearing in today’s episode tho?!
There seems to be some metal in the warrior’s headwear, but yeah, not a complete covering. And the teeth suggest that he’s not a member of the privileged ruling class.

I’ve got to say, I like that on Rigel VII the tin foil hats really do protect against mind-control rays.

Yes, we are. Why do you think that will start a fight?

I did not realize the first Rigel VII incident had already happened. And that this episode happens later.

Agreed. Also, the writing regarding Batel's position is rather sloppy. According to "A Quality of Mercy" and "Ad Astra per Aspera", she was a JAG officer and a lawyer. Now she is commanding a ship on normal duty, hoping to be promoted to commodore? Frankly, it doesn't make much sense.

I mean, she could just be a, per Lower Decks, a babysitter captain. I have to go back to the pilot episode on whether she was shipping out on a ship or not. Or she could have just been pulled off her ship for JAG duty.

Fun episode. Nice focus on Pike after the first episodes. And a little bit with Ortegas, who really has been more of a secondary character in the first season.

Sort of a good reinforcement of who Pike is.

Spock side eying the proximity alarm, even when he couldn't read it, when Ortegas was flying was great.

Overall, the episode wasn't super exciting or powerful, but just a nice small adventure. Not a whole lot to write about, but it was still very enjoyable.

I did not realize the first Rigel VII incident had already happened. And that this episode happens later.

I mean, she could just be a, per Lower Decks, a babysitter captain. I have to go back to the pilot episode on whether she was shipping out on a ship or not. Or she could have just been pulled off her ship for JAG duty.

Fun episode. Nice focus on Pike after the first episodes. And a little bit with Ortegas, who really has been more of a secondary character in the first season.

Sort of a good reinforcement of who Pike is.

Spock side eying the proximity alarm, even when he couldn't read it, when Ortegas was flying was great.

Overall, the episode wasn't super exciting or powerful, but just a nice small adventure. Not a whole lot to write about, but it was still very enjoyable.
I don't think she is a babysitter captain, the implication this episode was that she was gunning to be a flag officer the way she and Pike were talking. But in the cour martial episode she was talking like she was a permanent JAG officer and professional lawyer, the way she cross-examined Pike at dinner. You could be right that it is not explicit, but there is a lot of contradictory subtext.

I don't think she is a babysitter captain, the implication this episode was that she was gunning to be a flag officer the way she and Pike were talking. But in the cour martial episode she was talking like she was a permanent JAG officer and professional lawyer, the way she cross-examined Pike at dinner. You could be right that it is not explicit, but there is a lot of contradictory subtext.
Star Trek has the cowboy diplomacy captains who have accepted that they like their role, the cowboy diplomacy captains who go through a phase thinking they ought to aspire to something more elevated, and the captains who are genuinely suited to the administrative work of higher office but just haven't reached that rank yet. For all of the counselors Starfleet has, what it really needs is a Sorting Hat.

I was hoping for flashbacks of their previous visit on Rigel 7, where Spock was injured and Captain Pike lost his Yeoman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"