The Dark Knight Serious Topic: Should Batman be 'kept back' like in "Begins"?

ah, but remember, b89 was called BATMAN. And we saw **** all of him.

Mr. Vice said:
LOL! But, I definitely believe that Batman will become THE main focus of TDK, other than the Clown Prince himself, of course.:cwink:

I mean, this movie is titled THE DARK KNIGHT, after all. Batman will become Gotham's sole protector.

I say either 50/50 of screentime for both characters or even 60/40 in favor of Batman. Anything less that 50% screentime for Batman will leave moviegoers feeling cheated.

It is called TDK afterall.

Nolan will do a good job balancing the two.

COMPO said:
ah, but remember, b89 was called BATMAN. And we saw **** all of him.

True, but that was in 1989, with Burton at the helm. We're talking 2008, with Nolan on the job. And, from what I can see from Batman Begins, we won't have to worry about an "89" scenario fo TDK.

I saw **** of Batman in BB too. Mostly blurry shots.

There is a lot that is already established in BB about Bruce that can and should continue. Like who is Bruce the playboy, who is Bruce the adopted son to Alfred, who is Bruce with the mask and who is Bruce the detective. There is also the potential to have the city's decline mirror Bruce's decent and consumption by the Batman persona. "Your anger gives you great power, but if you let it, it will destroy you." We will have to see Napier's inception from being a comedian and working for the mafia and becoming vengfull for the murder of his wife. Then there is the task of establishing Harvey and Bruce's relationship and history. By the way I think Nolan is going after Denzel Washington for Dent, just a gut feeling after seeing the fan pick on BOF. There is the working relationship between Gordon, Dent and The Dark Knight. We still have to see the cultural response toward Batman by the city itself. There is a lot to develop yet and probably not in the ways I've mentioned here but it should definately stay with Bruce and about Bruce and who he really is, which he is struggling to understand. I agree with the origional post in that it was great to finally see Batman after we had learned about all these things that compose him, as a buildup, but for the story to move foward we might see The Dark Knight established as The Dark Knight early on in the film, complete with fabricky costume and Zimmer's fully realized theme for The Great Modern Knight. The Batman in this film will be a progression from Bruce's first year and into a more permanent phase of his life long vow, just a thought. Very excited!

abiwankenobi said:
There is a lot that is already established in BB about Bruce that can and should continue. Like who is Bruce the playboy, who is Bruce the adopted son to Alfred, who is Bruce with the mask and who is Bruce the detective. There is also the potential to have the city's decline mirror Bruce's decent and consumption by the Batman persona. "Your anger gives you great power, but if you let it, it will destroy you." We will have to see Napier's inception from being a comedian and working for the mafia and becoming vengfull for the murder of his wife. Then there is the task of establishing Harvey and Bruce's relationship and history. By the way I think Nolan is going after Denzel Washington for Dent, just a gut feeling after seeing the fan pick on BOF. There is the working relationship between Gordon, Dent and The Dark Knight. We still have to see the cultural response toward Batman by the city itself. There is a lot to develop yet and probably not in the ways I've mentioned here but it should definately stay with Bruce and about Bruce and who he really is, which he is struggling to understand. I agree with the origional post in that it was great to finally see Batman after we had learned about all these things that compose him, as a buildup, but for the story to move foward we might see The Dark Knight established as The Dark Knight early on in the film, complete with fabricky costume and Zimmer's fully realized theme for The Great Modern Knight. The Batman in this film will be a progression from Bruce's first year and into a more permanent phase of his life long vow, just a thought. Very excited!

I agree with everything you said apart from Joker being "Jack Napier" I believe "Napier" name came from Alan Napier who played Alfred in Batman 60s show and was created by Tim Burton & Co. I like to see "unknown" for Joker Batman tries to find who this guy is but finds nothing.

As for Harvey Dent Denzel Washington is great actor I would be happy but as you can see my sig who I want. Oh and Welcome to SHH enjoy your stay.

Thats actuallly a good point...it would be cool to show Batman as this amazing detective that solves a few crimes (like how Begins had several villians scattered around) but just cant crack the Joker case...

Two Face said:
As for Harvey Dent Denzel Washington is great actor I would be happy but as you can see my sig who I want.

Jean Grey? :huh:

Two Face said:
I agree with everything you said apart from Joker being "Jack Napier" I believe "Napier" name came from Alan Napier who played Alfred in Batman 60s show and was created by Tim Burton & Co. I like to see "unknown" for Joker Batman tries to find who this guy is but finds nothing.

As for Harvey Dent Denzel Washington is great actor I would be happy but as you can see my sig who I want. Oh and Welcome to SHH enjoy your stay.
Didn't know that about Napier. Thanks for the correction. Does anyone know the Joker's true identity? Thanks for the warm welcome everyone hope I have a lot to add.
As for Phoenix for Harvey I could see it working yet Schreiber is still a stronger choice to me, even though Joaquin is a very strong actor I would be more interested to see what Liev does with the schizophrenia aspect. But alas it doesn't look likely that he will be shooting in England this year. He's on Broadway here in New York and probably for the year, still not totaly out though. I mean Kevin Spacey got the time off from The Old Vic for Supes.

abiwankenobi said:

Mate, paragraphs are your friend here.

Going off comments Nolan has made you're probably right about Batmans progression into a more permanent phase, along with the city mirroring his presence there ('escalation' will be theme in TDK). And you can bet on more detective work happening.

But I don't think we'll see the Jokers story unfold. You can set him up with a couple minutes of breif flashbacks and, portraying his charcter during the timeframe of the film will be far more important and effective in explaining who the Joker is.

What made BB so good is that it did what Burton never did with his films; it made us care for Bruce Wayne as a character. He was flat, and 2D in the Burton films, but BB felt more like a ‘Bruce Wayne’ film and that’s what I liked about it (and Spider-Man, those films do the same thing).

I just hope Mr. Nolan keeps that in mind.

~Yūgi's Black Magician

Nepenthes said:
But I don't think we'll see the Jokers story unfold. You can set him up with a couple minutes of breif flashbacks and, portraying his charcter during the timeframe of the film will be far more important and effective in explaining who the Joker is.

I hope we don't see his story.

John Doe from Se7en wasn't given a real backstory and he was very interesting character, mainly because of the mystery surrounding his presence. What the Detectives found out about him was during the course of their investigation.

Batman wasn't established in the first half of Begins, hence we saw more Bruce Wayne. Now he's the main character and should be the focus of this movie, which is where Burton lost his way.

^ Even so we had Batman since miniute 1 in Burton movie and for sure we had more shots of him where you could actually see him.

Yep.And we should see more of Batman in conversation.That will happen of course with gordon and dent but it would be nice to see him in convo with a criminal informant that he dosent need to threaten .

El Payaso said:
^ Even so we had Batman since miniute 1 in Burton movie and for sure we had more shots of him where you could actually see him.

Yes, but Batman had already been established in Batman 89, so you'd be pretty angry if he didn't show up until the end.

And we saw him, but we saw him get his arse kicked by basic street thugs. Bob probably would have popped him.

V said:
Batman wasn't established in the first half of Begins, hence we saw more Bruce Wayne. Now he's the main character and should be the focus of this movie, which is where Burton lost his way.
My last post was in response to this.Sorry.First timer.

The thing is that Begins used the Bruce Wayne scenes to advance the plot and, in most cases, to strengthen the Batman character despite Batman not being on screen at that moment. Bruce Wayne is more than just a mask that Batman wears - he's a person who does interesting things. Like do legwork for Batman, have sex with women, and travel the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"