• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BvS Shocker! The Academy discards Man Of Steel from Best Visual FX Oscar race!!!

S**t Returns receives better RT scores than MOS AND winds up being nominated for best visual effects, when MOS does not?

tumblr_lq29vclwpt1qek28no1_500.gif

:huh:

I don't know what your problem is dude, seriously.:whatever:

How am I hating?

You missed the point.:doh: You criticized the SM films for having crappy CGI almost 10 years later, which isn't fair. In case yoy didn't read my post when I replied to you, I did say,"I think MOS should have had an Oscar nod in the VFX department."

Who said anything about those films being groundbreaking?:dry: Don't put words in my mouth dude.

:doh: Learn to read what I wrote. I said swinging between skyscrappers and tall buildings is not achievable without CGI. TASM made him swing in low low ground like under the bridge. All of the other shots of Spidey swinging in high ground were done using CGI.

About the films being groundbreaking I didn't assumed you did say that. But I say that some people claim that the visuals need to be groundbreaking to won an oscar nom. clearly those movies I mentioned (2013) didn't put anything as groundbreaking. And plenty of movies won oscars without being that much groundbreaking but having pretty good effects. That's what I was talking about.
Sorry if you take my words as an ofense. Didn't want to make you feel uncomfortable. :csad:
You're right about the TASM thing but you didn't specify of swinging high. Spidey and Spidey 2 to swing even at low heights didn't use those effects (I know that at that time TASM tech to make Spidey swing was impossible to make without CGI, totally agreed)
eventhought the special movements spidey does are IMPOSSIBLE TO DO. Also Superman's movements as flying and superspeed are impossible to do without CGI and not to mention spidey has an advantage, the mask, and makes easy to plasm the hero. That was my point.
"I think MOS should have had an Oscar nod in the VFX department"
Thanks for clearing this up. I appreciate you accept the movie had great VFX to be recognized. Something that some people just don't want to see or just can't accept it. :cwink:

I've never said Spiderman 2 had crappy CGI. I loved the Spidey/Spidey 2 effects (Spidey 2 effects are way too better than in Spidey 1) For me it had the oscar prize pretty well deserved. but my point is that Spiderman and Spiderman 2 had CGI issues as in all the movies.

BTW Happy holidays :woot:

Last edited:
Another setback!

Bafta nominations annoucned today. Again these are industry awards, so FX artist vote for nominations just like in the Academy.

And they too refused to nominate Man Of Steel for VFX instead preferring Iron Man 3 over it.

Below are the nominations.

SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS

GRAVITY Tim Webber, Chris Lawrence, David Shirk, Neil Corbould, Nikki Penny
THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, David Clayton, Eric Reynolds
IRON MAN 3 Bryan Grill, Christopher Townsend, Guy Williams, Dan Sudick
PACIFIC RIM Hal Hickel, John Knoll, Lindy De Quattro, Nigel Sumner
STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Ben Grossmann, Burt Dalton, Patrick Tubach, Roger Guyett

The Academy threw out Man Of Steel in the first round itself and now the Baftas have chosen to pass it over.

What gives?

Does the FX industry think the VFX in MOS are really poor?

Some of the VFX in MOS were really poor.

Granted, it's still impressive the sheer amount of CG in the film (and the amount of good CG at that), but there were too many shots of bad CG that sour the experience.

I put Man of Steel on the same level as the Hobbit (which is ironically nominated).

I think the Hobbit has absolutely spectacular impeccable CGI. Really state of the art.

And it has even more CGI than MOS. The entire movie is practically an animated film.

I remember the melted gold in the Smaug scene looking a little Xboxy. But maybe melted gold just looks like that... The 48 frames I saw it in might have had something to do with that as well.

Oh god 48 frames is just awful. It looks terrible.

I saw the film again in 24 and it looked as good as it possibly could. Frankly, the FX are better than Gravity even.

Honestly, I think MOS was at its weakest (in terms of presenting consistent great looking effects) during Superman's final battle with Zod in Metropolis.

This is why I wish that WETA had done MOST of the important effects for the film, rather than just being placed in charged of the Krypton scenes.

Double Negative (and whatever other effects company) didn't do a great follow up job at certain times throughout the film.

I really hope that Snyder is able to get WETA to do MOST of his effects for this upcoming film.

Honestly, I think MOS was at its weakest (in terms of presenting consistent great looking effects) during Superman's final battle with Zod in Metropolis.

This is why I wish that WETA had done MOST of the important effects for the film, rather than just being placed in charged of the Krypton scenes.

Double Negative (and whatever other effects company) didn't do a great follow up job at certain times throughout the film.

I really hope that Snyder is able to get WETA to do MOST of his effects for this upcoming film.

What the.... So WETA didn't do the whole film. How many VFX companies were involved Herolee and what scenes (if you know)

What the.... So WETA didn't do the whole film. How many VFX companies were involved Herolee and what scenes (if you know)

Aside from WETA, I believe Double Negative and MPC had also worked on the film. Though from what i had heard, WETA were just in charge of doing the effects for everything that took place on Krypton, along with creating the effects for the liquid metal that we saw throughout the film (ala when Jor-el was explaining Krypton's history to Clark in the scout ship). I also heard that they did the designs (not necessarily the effects itself) for Zod and company's armors on Earth.

The entire finale is one big CGI grey blur of pixels. Some people have told me that the movie looks very ugly. I think that hurt it too. Aesthetics are important. Krypton scenes looked all muddy and Metropolis looked all grey and blurry.

Well i have to admit, I wasn't the biggest fan of how Metropolis looked, compared to most cities presented within comic book films during their respective final showdowns.

I think what really hurt the last sequence was Snyder's choice to do nearly everything in front of a green screen, which kind of clashed with the ultra realistic looking world that he had presented before then.

I mean i get that the shots of Superman fighting Zod in midair needs to be done in front of a green screen, but the shots of them fighting on the street could have been done on location.

Also, I think it also boils down to the fact that the visual effects company used for that sequence wasn't the best.

I mean I think the sequence would have looked better if the background for their mid air flight looked like this:

movies_the_avengers_iron_man.jpg

Aside from WETA, I believe Double Negative and MPC had also worked on the film. Though from what i had heard, WETA were just in charge of doing the effects for everything that took place on Krypton, along with creating the effects for the liquid metal that we saw throughout the film (ala when Jor-el was explaining Krypton's history to Clark in the scout ship). I also heard that they did the designs (not necessarily the effects itself) for Zod and company's armors on Earth.

Thanks for that lee :yay:

Well i have to admit, I wasn't the biggest fan of how Metropolis looked, compared to most cities presented within comic book films during their respective final showdowns.

I think what really hurt the last sequence was Snyder's choice to do nearly everything in front of a green screen, which kind of clashed with the ultra realistic looking world that he had presented before then.

I mean i get that the shots of Superman fighting Zod in midair needs to be done in front of a green screen, but the shots of them fighting on the street could have been done on location.

Also, I think it also boils down to the fact that the visual effects company used for that sequence wasn't the best.

I mean I think the sequence would have looked better if the background for their mid air flight looked like this:

That's what i was surprised about when i was watching the special features mainly everything was done infront of green screen but they were using that to combine realife characters with CG characters. Now if i can explain this correctly . On first viewing i thought they were using all CG characters but then in the features i saw that they were shooting the human elements infront of green screen then incoporating that with CG stunt doubles. Interesting stuff just opened my eyes alittle bit more to what there doing nowere days.

Just touching on the bit about fighting on the streets. I think thats a good point but then i get why they didn't . The ground fight wasn't long enough so they thought lets just film it infront of green screen. Maybe finding a location would of put abit more pressure on the team regarding getting more practical effects done in a downtown area but then again Avengers achieved this quite nicely.

After what you put about WETA and co, i can understand if you thought the effects team wasn't good enough. I echo these reasons actually.

I still don't get why this film didn't get nominated. I mean, look at
- krypton
- kryptonian armour
- kryptonian air crafts
- the cape
etc.

That's what i was surprised about when i was watching the special features mainly everything was done infront of green screen but they were using that to combine realife characters with CG characters. Now if i can explain this correctly . On first viewing i thought they were using all CG characters but then in the features i saw that they were shooting the human elements infront of green screen then incoporating that with CG stunt doubles. Interesting stuff just opened my eyes alittle bit more to what there doing nowere days.

Just touching on the bit about fighting on the streets. I think thats a good point but then i get why they didn't . The ground fight wasn't long enough so they thought lets just film it infront of green screen. Maybe finding a location would of put abit more pressure on the team regarding getting more practical effects done in a downtown area but then again Avengers achieved this quite nicely.

After what you put about WETA and co, i can understand if you thought the effects team wasn't good enough. I echo these reasons actually.

Agreed; and as I mentioned above, I think the overall choice to have Metropolis look very gloomy (in color) during their fight was a mistake. I would have enjoyed seeing a more brightened Metropolis like in the picture featuring Iron Man to make things look a little bit better.

Honestly, Superman is a hard character to do on the big screen. He doesn't have the luxury of having his face covered, thus it's hard to do some crazy stuff with him using pure CGI like you could with characters such as Iron Man, Hulk, or Spider-Man.

But he's so powerful that you can't really do mostly everything with practical effects like you could with Batman, Captain America, or Wolverine.

Agreed; and as I mentioned above, I think the overall choice to have Metropolis look very gloomy (in color) during their fight was a mistake. I would have enjoyed seeing a more brightened Metropolis like in the picture featuring Iron Man to make things look a little bit better.

Honestly, Superman is a hard character to do on the big screen. He doesn't have the luxury of having his face covered, thus it's hard to do some crazy stuff with him using pure CGI like you could with characters such as Iron Man, Hulk, or Spider-Man.

But he's so powerful that you can't really do mostly everything with practical effects like you could with Batman, Captain America, or Wolverine.

Hit the nail right on the head , brother.

For me the scene that explains why this film didn't get nominated was some parts of his first flight. It literally looked like a moving dot in front of a screen. There were some parts of it that looked good, like flyin over the water and at the end when he zooms up into the air, but other parts just looked horrible. I personally don't have a problem with the end fight with Zod; it looked good to me.

I think that's because after the effect of the terraforming, the sunset and the destruction give that sense. I appreciate this detail to be different from another movies. They couldn't do it as in the avengers cause the amount of destruction will never be done in a real space.
When Superman and Zod were fighting on ground remember there was a explotion there and cars falling on them. I think this particular scene was one of the best in the Metropolis fight.

Some of the VFX in MOS were really poor.

Granted, it's still impressive the sheer amount of CG in the film (and the amount of good CG at that), but there were too many shots of bad CG that sour the experience.

I put Man of Steel on the same level as the Hobbit (which is ironically nominated).

I didn't feel that. of course it has some issues as all the movies but not as bad as you claim. I will put MOS effects on a great level of quality due to the difficulty of the character and the aspects the movie did an awesome job as the terraforming, krypton, action sequences.

For me the scene that explains why this film didn't get nominated was some parts of his first flight. It literally looked like a moving dot in front of a screen. There were some parts of it that looked good, like flyin over the water and at the end when he zooms up into the air, but other parts just looked horrible. I personally don't have a problem with the end fight with Zod; it looked good to me.
I guess Snyder tried to show us how Superman will be seen on the real world. You will never see him as a "man" floating peacefully. I mean the give the effect of superspeed and I love most of the flying scene which was great of course not perfect.
That's no reason for the nomination cause all the movies that were nominated (Gravity didn't have that much) had issues.

I still don't get why this film didn't get nominated. I mean, look at
- krypton
- kryptonian armour
- kryptonian air crafts
- the cape
etc.
Agreed. just seeing Faora superspeed just :wow:
All the movies that were nominated (Gravity didn't have that much) had issues.

Last edited:
Once again I'd like to nominate the Academy for having horrible tastes.

This would be their 345th win in a row in that category.

I hated the way the first flight was shot on numerous levels.

I do think when it comes to fights, snyder needs to better incorporate his cgi doubles better. He's pretty great at it but he needs to dial it down when not necessary. Zod vs Superman final's best bits were before the doubles stepped.

I didn't have any issues with the first flight scene. Honestly, this is the first time I've seen anyone criticize it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"