Short X-Men fic

Halcohol

Suit up
Reaction score
I found this on my hard drive. I wrote it about 6 months ago as an "audition piece" to write with JustABill. Who knows, I might add on later.

“How ‘bout it, mon ami?”

The tall man’s strange eyes peered through the curls of smoke hovering over the table. The smells of cigar and cigarra blended in the air, creating an acrid perfume that permeated the room, across which it was difficult to see through the haze. These poker games had grown longer than they had in previous years, a testament to the increasing skills of the players.

Logan took another long draw on his cigar and regarded the Cajun with a feral, almost menacing stare.

“I ain’t gonna warn you again, Cajun, don’t rush me.” Gambit merely grinned.

“Dis ain’t gonna take all night, is it?”

The hairy little man ignored him. Logan rearranged his cards thoughtfully before glancing over at the young mutant beside him at the table. “You got anywhere to be?”

Bobby Drake shrugged his shoulders and clasped his hands behind his head. “Nah, Family Guy’s a rerun this week. I’ve got all night.” Having already folded the hand, Bobby stood up and stretched. “I gotta go take a leak.”

Logan’s eyes strayed from his cards to his empty bottle of beer. “Hey kid, while you’re up, grab me another one.” Bobby, never happy at being called ‘kid’, bowed low before the Canadian theatrically.

“Yes, mastah. Ah go getchoo another brew right away, mastah.” Seeing his sarcasm have no effect on the other, he glanced at Gambit. “What about you Remy, you want one?”

Gambit’s unblinking gaze never left Logan. “Go right ahead, lil’ one. I get mah kicks from watchin’ dis man t’ink he can beat Gambit at his own game. Ain’t dat right?”

Logan just stared. Bobby glanced back and forth between the other men for a few seconds. “Alright, whatever,” he said on his way out the door.

“Gimme two,” said Logan, throwing down a pair of cards, a wry smile tugging at his mouth. “Now that it’s just us, I ain’t gotta worry about embarrassing you in front of the kid.”

Gambit dealt Logan two cards and flashed his lady-killer smile, a hint of malice in his strange eyes. “Dere’s your cards, monsieur. Dat’s assumin’ Lady Luck is smilin’ on you dis night. What’s your bet?”

Logan, cigar between his teeth, pushed his remaining stacks of chips forward. “I’m all in.”

Remy laughed. “Oh, come on, Wolverine. You t’ink Gambit don’t know a bluff when he sees it?”

“You ever known me to bluff, Cajun?” The humour in Gambit’s eyes faltered for a brief second, invisible to most men but plain as day to Wolverine. The Cajun glanced at his cards coolly before matching Logan’s bet.

“So dat’s how it’s gon’ be, is it? Like I said, you can’ beat Gambit at his own game.”

Wolverine grinned and threw down his cards, four queens. He watched the tall Cajun go slightly paler, then regain his composure and reveal his full house.

As Logan stood up and began collecting his winnings, Gambit sat shaking his head. “Dat ain’t right, mon ami. Dat just ain’t right.”

“What can I tell ya, I’m the best-” Logan was cut off by a telepathic voice that resounded deep in their brains, drowning out all coherent thoughts.

“X-Men, report to the briefing room at once!”

Bobby, walking back into the room with a beer in each hand, sighed. “Man… I thought we agreed that I got Sundays off.”

Logan and Remy were already on their way out the door. Logan threw an arm around Bobby, took a swig of beer, and led him down the stairs.

“You know, kid, things don’t always go like you plan ‘em. Ain’t that right, Remy?”

Gambit just glared.

not bad. ever written anything else?

ComicChick04 said:
not bad. ever written anything else?
Yeah, I wrote one other short one about Bobby as a kid crying in the stairwell at school, but I can't find it anywhere :(

i wrote a bobby/emma fic over on fanfiction.net

was thinking about posting it here, but not sure if i should or not. do many people read fics on here?

I know I do. I imagine lots of others do, too. Otherwise this forum would probably be dead.

JustABill said:
Ah. I remember this. :D
Yeah... I was cleaning through my hard drive and discovered it, along with a few term papers I wrote last year.

It's kinda weird reading a paper you don't remember writing.

Halcohol said:
Yeah... I was cleaning through my hard drive and discovered it, along with a few term papers I wrote last year.

It's kinda weird reading a paper you don't remember writing.
Lol. I imagine so.

I read some old fan fics/fics I've written and go ''My god. I wrote this?!"

I'm sure they're fantastic. You should share some of them!

i think i might post the first part or 2 of mine to see if anyone's interested in reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"