Should this be an origin film?

If Carol is introduced in IW by the second film,I bet she will have her powers.

Her movie comes out before the second IW, so I hope she's introduced by the second film ;)

Origins are often badly handled in superhero movies and most of them feels repetitive. Make it an origin sure, but dont spend half the movie explaining it.

Origins are often badly handled in superhero movies and most of them feels repetitive. Make it an origin sure, but dont spend half the movie explaining it.

Which is why I think it would a great idea to give Carol her origin story in Infinity War: Part 1. Then she's put in a coma and a post credits scene shows her powers coming to life with her hands glowing.

On a side note: I'm actually arguing with an idiot on reddit that actually believes an Ant-Man sequel could possibly replace the Captain Marvel movie in 2018. :whatever:

Last edited:
If Marvel is going to show Carol's origin on screen they should do all of it in her own movie. Don't shoe horn it into an Avengers movie, that would be a mistake. Either you'd be short changing Carol's story or taking time away from the Avengers in their own movie just to set up another character's solo movie. No one wins there.

If Marvel is going to show Carol's origin on screen they should do all of it in her own movie. Don't shoe horn it into an Avengers movie, that would be a mistake. Either you'd be short changing Carol's story or taking time away from the Avengers in their own movie just to set up another character's solo movie. No one wins there.

Fully agreed.

I don't see why Marvel couldn't introduce Carol in Infinity War I. Marvel is doing the same with Black Panther, introducing him in Civil War, which is almost practically a mini Avengers movie. Black Panther's inclusion isn't shoehorned because of his ties to Wakanda and vibranium. There's no reason why Carol's inclusion would be shoehorned and would fit seamlessly in an Avengers movie.

I agree with Mike on this one. I'm not opposed to her film being strictly an origin film and leaving it at that, but I feel beginning her origin in Infinity War I would be the opposite of shortchanging her because it would give the story MORE time to play out.

An origin doesnt have to be so problematic. If you want to show how a character becomes the hero, you dont need more than a half hour to tell that. If the movie is around 2 hours, that will give room for 1½ hours to tell the rest of the story. I think the original Spider-man did pretty much that.

But Spidey's origin requires zero set-up. He's a nerdy kid who gets bitten by a spider in a science lab. Boom, powers. Carol's an air force pilot who forges a relationship with an alien spy, a relationship which gets her into trouble with an invading alien force and ends up getting caught in an explosion of an alien device that will need purpose and set-up itself. Gonna take way longer than Spidey's half-hour origin to do that (and the relationships and global scenario involved) justice, imo.

Last edited:
But Spidey's origin requires zero set-up. He's a nerdy kid who gets bitten by a spider in a science lab. Boom, powers. Carol's an air force pilot who forges a relationship with an alien spy, a relationship which gets her into trouble with an invading alien force and ends up getting caught in an explosion of an alien device that will need purpose and set-up itself. Gonna take way longer than Spidey half-hour origin to do that (and the relationships and global scenario involved) justice, imo.

Yeah, and this is why I think putting her origin in an Avengers film would be problematic. It is too elaborate. It also distracts from what should be the main plot of Infinity War, which is the fight against Thanos. To do Captain Marvel's origin, now you have to bring in Mar-Vell and the Kree as well, and it all gets really convoluted.

Black Panther is different because he's basically just the lawful king of an advanced African nation (which we have already been introduced to) with a monopoly on a vital resource. That's easy to explain in a teamup film.

See I think they should have her origin in like AOS or something - AOS has already dealt with Kree and Inhumans. Then by the time IF roles around and her own Movie people might be more familiar with her.

Yeah, and this is why I think putting her origin in an Avengers film would be problematic. It is too elaborate. It also distracts from what should be the main plot of Infinity War, which is the fight against Thanos. To do Captain Marvel's origin, now you have to bring in Mar-Vell and the Kree as well, and it all gets really convoluted.

Black Panther is different because he's basically just the lawful king of an advanced African nation (which we have already been introduced to) with a monopoly on a vital resource. That's easy to explain in a teamup film.

Ok, Infinity War isn't going to be about Avengers lining up for four hours, taking turns punching Thanos in the face. Regardless of how powerful Thanos is, every war has their armies. Every general has their soldiers. Thanos could use the Kree as his army for Infinity War part I or the Kree could be an ally.

The Kree probably have a certain claim to Earth because of the Kree and don't want other species interfering with Earth. After hearing about the failed Chitauri invasion, many other species view Earth as a bit of an anomaly that may need to be dealt with. The Kree send Mar-Vell as a spy to keep an eye on things. He is given the Nega Bands, granting him great power in the event that Earth is invaded by a hostile alien force. Mar-Vell is disguised as Dr. Phillip Lawson, and is working with Carol Danvers as Agents of Sword or some Sword equivalent.

Now, the only thing that needs to be known is that Carol Danvers and Phillip Lawson are Agents of Sword, or working with NASA providing the Avengers with any early warning of any cosmic threats to Earth. Nobody knows how long Mar-Vell has been on Earth. He could have been there since the Chitauri invasion.

Now, my theory above may suck, but considering how well the Russo Brothers handled TWS, I have confidence in them flawlessly weaving Carol's origin into Infinity War I if they choose to go that route.

Edit: They could handle Carol's origin in a similar war to Avengers: EMH animated series. In episode 459 you had Kree Sentry + Mar-Vell + exploding power core + Carol Danvers= Captain Marvel. It was easy. I'm sure they could do the same in Infinity War, easily.

[YT]1q0xxLPDHOI?t=10m58s[/YT]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"