• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Should this movie have a science advisor?

A marine biologist has a number of questions for Aquaman

All of them can be answered by one answer: It's not supposed to be realistic or grounded anymore then other space based comic book movies are (GoTG)

Having said that, most of her questions can be answered if you look closely at what they're showing in the movie..

How did he get all his tattoos if a sword doesn’t penetrate his skin (shown in the fight) and he hasn’t returned to Atlantis to visit an Atlantean tattoo artist?

Urmm.. I don't remember that he was indestructible, but he could have had them when he was a teenager, maybe at that time he was not having such tough skin ? Take some animals for example Rhinos, their skin becomes thicker as they age, right ?

How long did the Russian submarine crew survive before they succumbed to decompression sickness from the rapid surfacing and exit of the sub?
The fact that the sub stayed afloat after Aquaman brought it to surface suggests that it was not deep under water, so less problems to deal with Decompression sickness.

How does everyone get their hair to behave underwater? I tie mine up and it is still all in front of my face every five seconds

It's supposed to look "cool" in cbm's, apart from that many Atlenteans had their hair tied-up, and in the gif she has posted the underwater current i s flowing in a direction that will make the hair away from their faces.

Related: how do they get their capes to behave underwater? I feel like wearing a cape underwater would be the most annoying thing!

Read above.

Also was anyone else mesmerised by Patrick Wilson’s hair underwater? It was constantly moving.
Urm, it wasn't constantly moving ?

Did Aquaman drive himself and his dad home from the pub while drunk? I know he’s a superhero so maybe he has a quick metabolism, but that doesn’t seem like a great example to set.
And ?

Why are there so many manta rays everywhere and why are they never there when I dive at places called things like “Manta Garden” and “Manta Point”?
Movies are notorious to make certain scenes look lot more cooler than they would in actual life but this is a cbm.

Ocean Master? C’mon. No
Why not ? It's a title.

Finally, did they have to make the ocean seem so space agey & full of animals/stuff? We’ve just had #BluePlanet2. We know the ocean doesn’t need CG to be truly amazing. I would have loved to see footage that was more realistic.
I wonder if some people want to see a movie that looked like a Documentary (which are cool, BTW.) and then we have those amazing documentaries like Blue Planet 2, right ?

BTW, Space does not need CGI to be amazing we can always go to space and shoot movies like Star Wars there. ;)

How long did the Russian submarine crew survive before they succumbed to decompression sickness from the rapid surfacing and exit of the sub?
The fact that the sub stayed afloat after Aquaman brought it to surface suggests that it was not deep under water, so less problems to deal with Decompression sickness.

I haven’t seen the movie yet; so perhaps there are complicating factors like a catastrophic hull breach, flooding, etc. But under normal circumstances, a submarine can surface very fast if it needs to - and there’s no issue with the crew getting decompression sickness. Reason being: a sub is a “rigid body” that maintains a 1 atmosphere (normal, sea level) pressure inside. No pressure change = no decompression hazard. Scuba divers, by contrast, do breathe compressed air. And this puts them at risk for DCS due to excessive bottom time and/or a too rapid ascent.

;nd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"