Shudder Presses Play On V/H/S/94

Kane52630

T-800 User
Reaction score
vhs.width-800.jpg

Shudder Presses Play On V/H/S/94

The V/H/S franchise has, nine years since its first iteration, left an indelible imprint on horror. It seemed to be the harbinger for the current anthology renaissance we’re in, and its filmmakers have gone on to mainstream success (David Brucker’s upcoming The Night House is going to knock socks off, and after Radio Silence’s Ready or Not we can’t wait for their imminent Scream installment), shaping the genre and taking it into exciting new directions.

So we’re not so much surprised as we are hella excited that this particular genre sandbox is returning to our screens via Shudder. That's right: V/H/S/94 is coming, and today’s announcement gives us an idea of just what to expect when it premieres later this year. This lineup of talent is unexpected and fantastic. Sayeth Shudder:

V/H/S/94 marks the return of the infamous found footage anthology with segments from franchise alumni Simon Barrett (Séance) and Timo Tjahjanto (May the Devil Take You Too) in addition to acclaimed directors Jennifer Reeder (Knives & Skin), Ryan Prows (Lowlife) and Chloe Okuno (S**t). Greg Anderson of the legendary drone metal band Sunn O))) and Southern Lord records founder will compose the film’s score.

In V/H/S/94, after the discovery of a mysterious VHS tape, a brutish police swat team launch a high intensity raid on a remote warehouse, only to discover a sinister cult compound whose collection of pre-recorded material uncovers a nightmarish conspiracy.

The announcement goes on to quote producer Josh Goldbloom, who shares that “we shot the film entirely during the pandemic, building sets in hotels, conference rooms and, in the spirit of the series’ punk rock roots, we even ventured underground into a sewer. Our team channeled the misery of this past year appropriately, so rest assured it’s the biggest, baddest, and most bloodthirsty batch of tapes yet.”

That’s what we like to hear. Today’s announcement also informs us that V/H/S alumni Bruckner and Radio Silence return to executive produce, and Goldbloom produces for Cinepocalypse Productions alongside franchise co-creator Brad Miska of Bloody Disgusting, and Kurtis Harder (Spiral). Other executive producers incluse Michael Schreiber for Studio71, Zak Zeman, & Tom Owen, along with Michael Paszt, James Fler and Andrew T. Hunt of Raven Banner Entertainment.

Hmm, interesting. I'm not a huge fan of FF horror but I do own the first three V/H/S movies. 'Brutish' SWAT team... I take it that we won't like them, so they can get picked off in increasingly brutal fashion with a sense of 'well, they had that coming'! :funny:

I thought we were done with found footage movies... it was fun at first, but it got old real quick.

Better than getting the same ol possession/haunted house movie that doesn't do anything different. Now that has gotten really old quick.

I really hope this a return to form for this franchise, because man was Viral a disappointment. Found Footage movies pretty much died out a long time ago, but I still feel there's some potential with this franchise left in the tank and I'll take this over a Paranormal Activity reboot anyday.

Better than getting the same ol possession/haunted house movie that doesn't do anything different. Now that has gotten really old quick.

You're not wrong, but a couple of years ago there was a period where it seemed like every movie had to be a found footage movie for some reason.

I really hope this a return to form for this franchise, because man was Viral a disappointment. Found Footage movies pretty much died out a long time ago, but I still feel there's some potential with this franchise left in the tank and I'll take this over a Paranormal Activity reboot anyday.

I think they're actually working on a new Paranormal Activity movie :csad:

V/H/S/94: Shudder announces October premiere date - JoBlo
A couple months ago, we learned that Shudder, AMC Networks’ premium streaming service that focuses on horror, thrillers, and the supernatural, had acquired the worldwide distribution rights to V/H/S/94, the fourth film in the V/H/S found footage anthology franchise. Now the streamer has specified that V/H/S/94 will be available to watch as of October 6th. The film is being released as a Shudder Original in North America, the UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand.

The directors who contributed segments to this V/H/S are Simon Barrett, Timo Tjahjanto, Jennifer Reeder, Ryan Prows, and Chloe Okuno. Reeder, Prows, and Okuno are new to the franchise, but Barrett and Tjahjanto have both worked on previous entries. Barrett wrote segments for V/H/S and V/H/S/2, and also directed one of the V/H/S/2 segments. With Gareth Evans, Tjahjanto wrote and directed the Safe Haven segment of V/H/S/2, which is often mentioned as being one of the best segments in the entire franchise.

V/H/S/94 has the following synopsis:

After the discovery of a mysterious VHS tape, a brutish police swat team launch a high intensity raid on a remote warehouse, only to discover a sinister cult compound whose collection of pre-recorded material uncovers a nightmarish conspiracy.

Hmm not bad. Looks better than the third one.

Looks really promising so far and hopefully it atleast ends up being decent. I think its pretty hard to make a worse and more disappointing movie than the third one though.

Well they got the old directors back for this one so I'm thinking we're gonna get the true VHS 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"