Superman Returns Singer Interview: Editing Returns & Sequel

The Sage said:
That it did.

Singer also cut the fact that Lex actually drove Superman to Krypton and it was a hoax which Stanford helped with. That was a great little device in the movie that made Lex even more evil, and crushed Superman.

Think about it. Lex drove Superman away from the earth, from Ma Kent, from HIS KID, from Lois, for 5 YEARS. It makes sense, he was "returning the favor".

I have to say I am disappointed that Singer only wants to put the return to Krypton scene in a rerelease to IMAX 3-D...thats means most likely I won't get to see it...the closest IMAX theater didn't carry SR so I dought they would carry a rerelease of it next year...and I liked the stuff in the novel between Martha, Ben and Clark and would of liked to have seen it in the movie. I agree with Sage...I would sit through a 3 hr or more version of SR. And no Singer didn't seem arrogant or smug in the interview...like others have said he seemed confident.

Showtime029 said:
Singer also cut the fact that Lex actually drove Superman to Krypton and it was a hoax which Stanford helped with. That was a great little device in the movie that made Lex even more evil, and crushed Superman.

Think about it. Lex drove Superman away from the earth, from Ma Kent, from HIS KID, from Lois, for 5 YEARS. It makes sense, he was "returning the favor".

I know. That's why I'm absolutely pissed at the cuts made to this film. It's almost Daredevil all over again.:mad::down

Showtime029 said:

Yeah, it would of been cool as well to have seen that plot in SR.

The Sage said:
I know. That's why I'm absolutely pissed at the cuts made to this film. It's almost Daredevil all over again.:mad::down

Yeah. I know what you mean.

I was very excited to see that part of the plot. Lex tells him he is behind it all. The look on Superman's face. To know he left everything he loved to find something that wasn't there and his greatest nemesis was responsible. I mean come on. That is good stuff. Instead we get Kitty trying to pull Superman down from the sky. I know those scenes dont necessarily cancel each other out, but every minute counts.

Showtime029 said:
I was very excited to see that part of the plot. Lex tells him he is behind it all. The look on Superman's face. To know he left everything he loved to find something that wasn't there and his greatest nemesis was responsible. I mean come on. That is good stuff. Instead we get Kitty trying to pull Superman down from the sky. I know those scenes dont necessarily cancel each other out, but every minute counts.

Yeah. I would've also liked to see Clark reading Lois' article. Then when gets to the Daily Planet and sees the Pulitzer Prize note for it on her desk, it would've been such a stronger scene. Then the reference to when he was a boy going down to the cellar and finding his ship, with him going into the cellar to find the newspapers. I think that would've made it easier for people to connect the scene with Jason realizing he didn't need the inhaler to the flashback of young Clark not needing his glasses. Then Superman looking around New Krypton would've reflected him exploring the remains of Krypton.

*Shakes fists* Damn. Damn. Damn.

I don't know. I feel like they could have cut alot of Lex's plot out and kept some of the Smallville scenes and other subplots there.

MB> It seems like you made a lot of last minute changes to the film.
BS> Very often, I do make radical changes. I believe a film is written three times, once on the page, once on the set, and a third time in the editing room. This film, frankly, was very much together, in the cutting room. I spent about the last three months of shooting, every night, going into the cutting room, and I had a pretty solid version of it. It was just this beginning part of it, with the return to Krypton and too much at the farm. And, there was a subplot that I removed, which was very small, throughout the rest of the picture. But, the picture was moving pretty well. I had a two hour and 45 minute version that I screened for a bunch of friends and family, and that was when I stepped back and said, “This movie is front heavy.”

this explained a lot why the movie felt sloppy in its pace and was structurically a mess

Wesyeed said:
I hate that movie but my sister loves it for some reason. she's crazy.
You love Jason but hate Pedro and Napolean?:(

C. Lee said:
You love Jason but hate Pedro and Napolean?:(

Yes and no. Pedro I can live with. that napolean guy though just annoyed me all the way through.

Man I thought Napolean was a riot.

Wesyeed said:
Yes and no. Pedro I can live with. that napolean guy though just annoyed me all the way through.
DUDE!!!!
napoleon.gif

E-Mack said:
Seriously. People here are getting pretty cloudy when it comes to anything regarding Singer.

SR wasn't the return of Superman that we were all expecting, and I'm sure that garners a bit of distaste, but at least learn to respond when it's warranted. This interview gave no such hint of arrogance at all.

Talking about they passed the Torch to him??!! Who asked that specific question. It was a yes or no answer. man Singer is stupid. he can make great movies, but he should have never gotten ivolved woth Superheroes...he can't make those for $hit!!!

Pedro owned.

And no, casketmouth...it wasn't a YES AND NO question. Go back and read it.

Showtime029 said:

Finally, a complaint worth expressing. I found a lot of things to enjoy in SR, a hell of a lot more than I barginned for, but this is hollywood's biggest flaw. To prioritize characterization over plot, that internal conflicts are somehow superior to external one's.

Sure if we don't care about the people, we won't care about the conflict, but if the the pendulum swings too far the other way, we end up not caring for the people because their conflicts are abyssmally trivial. What always ended up chasing me away from Marvel Comics was the realization that Spider-Man's life wouldn't be so hard if he wasn't such a schmuck.

Showtime, if only you were in charge of script approval, if only...:(

"OH WOW LOOK AT ME - I DIRECTED THE FIRST EPISODE OF HOUSE (pst...because it's a huge hit). I just threw that in there for your information. I'm so cool! I'm Bryan Singer!!!"

Is it really doing so good in China or is it over exaggeration???

Spare-Flair said:
"OH WOW LOOK AT ME - I DIRECTED THE FIRST EPISODE OF HOUSE (pst...because it's a huge hit). I just threw that in there for your information. I'm so cool! I'm Bryan Singer!!!"

Thats when success gets to someones head and feel they can use that to justify everything they do as great when it really isn't.

:O
Manhunter said:
Finally, a complaint worth expressing. I found a lot of things to enjoy in SR, a hell of a lot more than I barginned for, but this is hollywood's biggest flaw. To prioritize characterization over plot, that internal conflicts are somehow superior to external one's.

Sure if we don't care about the people, we won't care about the conflict, but if the the pendulum swings too far the other way, we end up not caring for the people because their conflicts are abyssmally trivial. What always ended up chasing me away from Marvel Comics was the realization that Spider-Man's life wouldn't be so hard if he wasn't such a schmuck.

Showtime, if only you were in charge of script approval, if only...:(

Written like a true wordsmith as always. :up:

As we discussed many moons ago, it was important for both of us that Lex drove Superman to Krypton. Did it ruin the movie? Not for me, and I don't think for you, but it would have upped the anti as they say. It was a subplot that made complete sense to me, and I was disappointed to read it in the script, and see what a timely plot device it would have been.

Peter Parker is the Seinfeld of superhero alter egos. All his mishaps and misfortunes are created by him and him alone, but Seinfeld can be considered funny. :O

Showtime029 said:
:O

Written like a true wordsmith as always. :up:

As we discussed many moons ago, it was important for both of us that Lex drove Superman to Krypton. Did it ruin the movie? Not for me, and I don't think for you, but it would have upped the anti as they say. It was a subplot that made complete sense to me, and I was disappointed to read it in the script, and see what a timely plot device it would have been.

Peter Parker is the Seinfeld of superhero alter egos. All his mishaps and misfortunes are created by him and him alone, but Seinfeld can be considered funny. :O

Hey Showtime! How you doing buddy?

Venom71 said:
Hey Showtime! How you doing buddy?

Very well. How's Venom's world?

I was wondering when these boards would come back. I was tired of attempting to kill time on "other boards". :O

Showtime029 said:
Very well. How's Venom's world?

I was wondering when these boards would come back. I was tired of attempting to kill time on "other boards". :O
Doing really good...long weekend w/o the hype.....as for the topic of the thread....I hope the DVD sells well so a Sequel gets made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"