Smallville SMALLVILLE RETURNS! ...in novel form

Binker

Superhero
Reaction score
We can all agree that, despite some cool moments, the overall finale to Smallville was mixed and hardcore fans wishing it was more epic for a 10-year long series. Well, apparently there is a report concerning a return to Smallville, a sorta "Season 11", but in novel form much like Buffy Season 8 in comic book form, that will continue the stories and adventures of the Smallville universe after the events of the show's 10th and final season.

Bleeding Cool reports the following:
I understand that story editor and writer for the series, Bryan Q Miller, also recently of Batgirl until the DC Relaunch, is to write a new novel, telling the story of what happened to the Smallville cast after the end of the TV series, in continuity. A Smallville Season Eleven, if you will. With Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season Eight and Nine doing so well in comic book form, this seems a rather natural move.

The site is unsure if there will be more novels to follow or a comic book adaptation but expect an official announcement to shed some more light on the whole thing.

Last edited:
Posted the news in the other thread prior to this posting. But still pretty cool news. Can't wait to read it if it happens.

Great news will be buying this for sure

Wonder if it will pick up after the current day ending? Or the flash forward to 2017 shirt rip ending?

Also not sure if a novel is better than a comic in this case? Would love to see the depictions of the cast in their future roles.

Last edited:
I hope this works out and I'm very happy that it will be a novel which I prefer to a comic, I will be buying.

Wonder if it will pick up after the current day ending? Or the flash forward to 2017 shirt rip ending?

Also not sure if a novel is better than a comic in this case? Would love to see the depictions of the cast in their future roles.

Yeah, I was hoping for a comic instead of a novel. With BQM writing, though, maybe a comic could still be a possibility?

I can still imagine the cover showing Tom, artwork of course, as Superman in the suit. So that I can assume could happen.

Well I am going to read it either way. Remember now that SV is over all the heroes they may have wanted to use but couldn't is no longer off limits so it is only a matter of time till we see SV Batman and more. This is great news because SV the book is more likely to continue than SV the comic. I doubt SV will get the a big enough comic following to sustain a title but a book on the other hand is a different story. Plus you can get a full good story without fillers.

I do hope dc does it and cant wait to see what it turns out to be.

Cool I wouldn't mind reading what happens with Smallville's Superman beyond the finale. :up:

I hope they manage to make lemonade out of lemons concerning Lex. That mindwipe still leaves a poor taste in my mouth.

well they could always write in maybe the mind wipe slowly faded away and he started recalling memories.

This is a great idea - if it's true.

WB may not have wanted Batman on the Smallville TV show, but a novel offers much more flexibility and no real direct conflict with any existing Batman property onscreen.

I still think there's a lot of stories to be told from the Smallville universe - after Clark/Superman pushed Apokolips away, a few years passed (7yrs? I think....) before we saw Clark rip open his shirt on the rooftop at the end of the Finale. You could squeeze a lot of stories into those 7 years.

I'd be particularly interested in reading about what happened right after Superman finally revealed himself to the world by saving it.

I wonder if Tom Welling or any of the production crew from SV would be involved? A lot of the character's stories and motivations came from them, it would only seem fair and consistent that they have some say in the novel.

Well even if it takes place from the moment we last saw in the future in the finale. They could always have flashbacks to adventures from stopping darkseid planet to the point the show ended.

If this is true, I'll be the first in line to buy this.

I'll definitely be picking it up. It should go perfect with the rest of the SV novels, that I have.

were the old novels any good? I bought the comics but never the books, they always seemed to much like teen books.

I don't recall myself I did read ohe or two of them. But it was so long ago.

were the old novels any good? I bought the comics but never the books, they always seemed to much like teen books.

The books were split into two territories: the adult, which were written by various comics and novel writers (Nancy Holder, Roger Stern, Alan Grant, Devin Grayson, etc.) and the kid's novels, which written by Suzan Colon, Cherie Bennett, and a number of others.

In certain instances, the kid's novels were written by some of the show staff. Much like the comic series.

Either way, the books were set during Season 1 through 3.

Preference-wise, I always enjoyed the adult novels. The first released "Strange Visitors" by Roger Stern pulled away from the standard Freak of the Week formula and dealt with the meteor impact on other people's lives. Easily, my favorite of the adult novels.

Freak of the Week-wise in the adult novels: "Dragon" comes off as an interesting excursion to say the least. Enough so, that Clark ends up making his own armor and fighting a Krypto-Dragon.

There were some interesting Clark and Lex back and fourths in the adult novels as well with "City".

In the kid's books, it's pretty much a miss. There's a condensed version of the pilot, a number of Freak of the Weeks, and of course, the standard Clark runs away from home plot. (The comics did this bit as well.) "Flight" stood out to me the most.

Can't wait to see Chloe!
cheer.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"