• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

So has Quesada ensured that there will soon have to be a CRISIS ON MARVEL EARTH?

Iceburgeruk

Civilian
Reaction score
I mean basically are we at the point that DC was when they went for their Crisis retcon.

I mean there are at least five primary continuities: Ultimate Marvel, Pre-One More Day Marvel, Brand New Day Marvel, Marvel Age Marvel and MC2 Marvel.

Twelve If you count: New Universe Marvel, Age of Apocalypse Marvel, Zombie Marvel, 1602 Marvel, 2099 Marvel, Malibu Marvel (criminally unused but it is still there) and to a lesser extent House of M Marvel.

I mean DC was simply trying to reconcile modern DC with WW2 DC continuity and to make the DC multiverse simpler.

Marvel has brought back to life several characters who died for no apparant reason or brought characters back without explanationas to how they managed to return: Hawkeye, Collosus, Norman Osborne, Bucky, Harry Osborne.

They have disreguarded or retconned entire portions of history: Norman Osborne-Gwen Stacy mess, The Xorn-Magneto business (Which they still have not fully reasonably explained in a way that doesn`t seem contrived, The first couple of runs of Black Panther (Its an origin series reboot and thne suddenly he is marrying storm in the regualr universe), Twenty years of spider-man stories (Thanks a lot OMD) Twenty Years of marvel stories across all titles (OMD`s changes must affect everything being that spidey is one of the most popular and overused characters in marvel) and more that i have prob forgotten)

So we have mass continuity problems, Forgotten/disreguarded continuity and dozens of timelines running concurrently with wildly different continuity (Pre-OMD, Post OMD, Marvel Age/Adventures and Ultimate Marvel).

We might not quite be at CRISIS ON MARVEL EARTHS point yet but I can`t imagine it is too far off.

I`d say we are in about DC`s 1982-1983 with Crisis On Infinite Earths somewhere on the horizon.

Marvel has brought back to life several characters who died for no apparant reason or brought characters back without explanationas to how they managed to return: Hawkeye, Collosus, Norman Osborne, Bucky, Harry Osborne.

All of those had explanations (except Harry). You might not have liked the explanations, but they are there.

Marvel distinguishes itself for having a varied Multiverse, each universe has a definite number and each universe is separate, they don't mingle, they don't jump from one to the other. You don't see Storm 295 (that's the AOA) in the 616 universe. There is no need for a crisis. And there is no pre-OMD/post OMD universe, it's the SAME universe. LIKE IT OR NOT OMD happened, like it or not, things are like that now.

That's not true either. Exiles does exactly what you claim, and they are now stacked with MU characters. The Supreme Power Universe crossed over with the Ultimate U. Members of the Exiles have been in the X-Men, and vice versa.

Sure but it's not done on a daily basis, the premise of Exiles is just that, visiting other worlds, but you don't see the rest crossing over all the time like it happened in DC. It's not the same

That's not true either. Exiles does exactly what you claim, and they are now stacked with MU characters. The Supreme Power Universe crossed over with the Ultimate U. Members of the Exiles have been in the X-Men, and vice versa.

Yeah, but it's not an uncontrollable problem like the DCU. I mean, since Spider-Man debuted in the 60's there's only been one, while Superman's books have all apparently followed different versions of the character through the years with varied explanations.

I only cherry pick DC. I didn't know it was becoming that big of a problem.

I don't know if it is, either. I just know that everytime I decide to start reading old trades or whatever, my head hurts trying to figure out which version I'm reading.

All of those had explanations (except Harry). You might not have liked the explanations, but they are there.

Well, he forgot to mention Morlun, but I doubt anyone cares about him.

I don't know why Marvel would have a Z0MGCRISIS!, but then I don't know why DC had to have its many Z0MGCRISIS!es. The bigger the stupid event they come up with to change whatever stupid thing it is they want to change, the stupider things are going to end up after they change it.

Hell if I had my way you know what they'd do? Is the next issue of ASM Spidey wakes up and there's Mary Jane, and then they go to the hospital and Aunt May wakes up goes okay, all done with that coma thing, and then they just go on from there. Hell the whole marriage retcon wouldn't have been half as stupid (which to be clear would have left it as still being pretty stupid) if instead of One More Stupid-Assed day they'd just put a note in the last issue of ASM saying "Okay guys we've decided we're overhauling the character, as of next issue Peter's gonna be 23 and a swingin' single and he's gonna have web-shooters and junk" and then the next issue they just write the comic how they want to damn write it, without all the jerking around.

I only cherry pick DC. I didn't know it was becoming that big of a problem.
I don't know if it is, either. I just know that everytime I decide to start reading old trades or whatever, my head hurts trying to figure out which version I'm reading.
It's not a huge problem, but it is more of a factor in DC's comics than it is in Marvel's. Right now, I'm personally pretty annoyed with the fact that there are apparently two Legions of Super-Heroes from the main DC timeline--the ones who are identical to the Silver Age version that Superman grew up with, who are starring in an arc of Action Comics right now, and the ones from the Waid/Kitson reboot that have a series devoted to them. There's also the fact that the Starboy from the Silver Age Legion apprently grows up to be the Starman of the Kingdom Come Earth. It gets a little annoying like that at times--not necessarily confusing, but definitely annoying.

That said, Marvel definitely doesn't need a Crisis. DC didn't really need a Crisis on the scale that the Crisis on Infinite Earths was; they just needed to get rid of all their alternate-Earth dupes. Erasing continuity is generally a bad idea, and it needs to be planned out as well as JMS apparently planned OMD out if you're gonna do it at all.

It's not a huge problem, but it is more of a factor in DC's comics than it is in Marvel's. Right now, I'm personally pretty annoyed with the fact that there are apparently two Legions of Super-Heroes from the main DC timeline--the ones who are identical to the Silver Age version that Superman grew up with, who are starring in an arc of Action Comics right now, and the ones from the Waid/Kitson reboot that have a series devoted to them. There's also the fact that the Starboy from the Silver Age Legion apprently grows up to be the Starman of the Kingdom Come Earth. It gets a little annoying like that at times--not necessarily confusing, but definitely annoying.

That said, Marvel definitely doesn't need a Crisis. DC didn't really need a Crisis on the scale that the Crisis on Infinite Earths was; they just needed to get rid of all their alternate-Earth dupes. Erasing continuity is generally a bad idea, and it needs to be planned out as well as JMS apparently planned OMD out if you're gonna do it at all.

Poor JMS. :(

Erasing continuity is generally a bad idea, and it needs to be planned out as well as JMS apparently planned OMD out if you're gonna do it at all.

According to him. I don't quite know why people seem to think that his version was better, just because he said so. Show me some specifics (JMS) and maybe I'll be excited.

I never said his version was better. Quite the contrary, I think his version would've been worse since it tore through a lot more continuity. But I think he's dead-on about needing to have reasons at the ready to explain why certain changes exist within the story. That really is Storytelling 101. I believe him when he says he had something planned; whether it was good or not is an entirely different matter. What reason does he have to lie? To appease some internet fans who are pissed at the story, and him, and Joe Q, and just about everything anyway?

It just blows my mind that in the three+ years that they're saying they've been working on this, THIS is as thought out as it got.

God, I'm really hating fandom right now for threads like this.

It is kind of annoying to see mostly one or the other extreme. It's either, "OMD sucked but oh wells, I'll buy two copies of the next Spidey issue!" or "OMD sucked and Joe Q is ruining Marvel omgmarvelsgonnaimplodeandI****inghatetheworldalajdflk;jsdfhsdjka!!!1!!!111"

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"