• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

The Amazing Spider-Man Sony Pictures bankrupt? Spidey rights back to Marvel?

TheWallCrawler

hero or a menace?
Reaction score
http://247wallst.com/2011/06/22/247-wall-st-ten-brands-that-will-disappear-in-2012/2/

"Sony has a studio production arm which has nothing to do with its core businesses of consumer electronics and gaming. Sony bought what was Columbia Tri-Star Picture in 1989 for $3.4 billion. This entertainment operation has done poorly recently. Sony’s fiscal year ends in March, and for the period revenue for the group dropped 15% to $7.2 billion and operating income fell by 10% to $466 million. Sony is in trouble. It lost $3.1 billion in its latest fiscal on revenue of $86.5 billion. Sony’s gaming system group is under siege by Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT) and Nintendo. Its consumer electronics group faces an overwhelming challenge from Apple. The company’s future prospects have been further damaged by the Japan earthquake and the hack of its large PlayStation Network. CEO Howard Stringer is under pressure to do something to increase the value of Sony’s shares. The only valuable asset with which he can easily part is Columbia which would attract interest from a number of large media operations. Sony Entertainment will disappear with the sale of its assets."

It isn't confirmed by Sony, yet at least, so some people say it's just speculation at this point, and they take this lightly. To me this is serious news, if this would happend, Marvel would surely buy the spidey movie rights back, and god knows what would happend to the movie series then! Don't get me wrong, I would love a Spidey film by Marvel studios, I'm just thinking of the possibility of them having the nerve to reboot it again! (surely still a kinda sequel to TAS but still)

So... what's your opinion on this?

We;ve already discussed this, what's the reason behind her thread?

We;ve already discussed this, what's the reason behind her thread?

When have we properly discussed this? Yes it has been brought up in some thread/maybe threads, but nobody seems to take it seriously, just like it's nothing. Maybe it's something that we shouldn't be too concerned about yet, but it's still very big news and it would mean a LOT for future Spiderman movies

Yeah, don't let your mouth start watering just yet.

Well, I think it's just speculation at this point.

maybe it's just speculation, but we're still talking about very big things here. Imagine that the movie rights would go back to Marvel, that's basicly what almost all of us Spider-man fans have been wanting since Iron-man.
And imagine if they would reboot the series again,(propably would be a reboot that's also kind of a sequel, like the Incredible Hulk but still...) that would be huge huge news!

So while this isn't huge huge news YET, I think it's still worth talking about

I for one DON'T want Marvel to get the rights back. I don't want a plastic Spider-Man film that basically looks like every other Marvel film.

Yeah, don't let your mouth start watering just yet.

I wont, but we are talking about the fate of all future Spiderman movies, why are people avoiding this subject like it's nothing?
I mean, when Robert Pattinson playing Peter Parker rumor started, people just couldn't stop talking about it, and now this is about the fate of all future Spiderman movies, but people just don't seem to care. What's up with that?

If Marvel gets Spidey back I will be so happy.

I wont, but we are talking about the fate of all future Spiderman movies, why are people avoiding this subject like it's nothing?
I mean, when Robert Pattinson playing Peter Parker rumor started, people just couldn't stop talking about it, and now this is about the fate of all future Spiderman movies, but people just don't seem to care. What's up with that?

I would hope people would be more concerned with Sony's next Spider-Man film being a good film than what's going to happen after that. Anything after that is just a hypothetical.

Personally, I just want a good Spider-Man film, regardless of who makes it. I don't care about a shared universe or anything like that. If Sony gets the job done, great; the same if Marvel Studios gets the job done.

I for one DON'T want Marvel to get the rights back. I don't want a plastic Spider-Man film that basically looks like every other Marvel film.

I totally understand, and I agree with you on some level. But you gotta agree, when it comes to comic accuracy, Marvel studios wins by far. One thing though I would hate if it happened: Spider-man would join the Avengers... it just wouldn't fit in these movies, at least that's my opinion.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind Marvel studios making the future Spider-man films, but there's definitely downsides, like the one I just stated or a possible reboot again (ala Incredible Hulk "reboot-sequel")

Why are people suddenly concerned with another possible reboot? If ASM isn't perfect then it needs to be rebooted [/sarcasm]

Also, if Sony pictures is bankrupt before the end of this year, I wonder if this movie will even be released. Will Marvel own the rights to distribute the movie? Will they release it or choose to sweep it under the rug and start again?

I would hope people would be more concerned with Sony's next Spider-Man film being a good film than what's going to happen after that. Anything after that is just a hypothetical.

Personally, I just want a good Spider-Man film, regardless of who makes it. I don't care about a shared universe or anything like that. If Sony gets the job done, great; the same if Marvel Studios gets the job done.

It's not the shared universe I'm interested when it comes to Marvel Studios. I just somehow think that Marvel Studios has bigger chances of making a good Spidey film, mainly because Spiderman movies vs. Ironman= Ironman wins by far. And even though I like the new costume and many many other fans have also started liking it, they really did screw up with the costume. I really don't believe that Marvel Studios would've made the costume the way that almost everyone started instantly hating it

Why are people suddenly concerned with another possible reboot? If ASM isn't perfect then it needs to be rebooted [/sarcasm]

Also, if Sony pictures is bankrupt before the end of this year, I wonder if this movie will even be released. Will Marvel own the rights to distribute the movie? Will they release it or choose to sweep it under the rug and start again?

If Marvel would take this film from us I would be so pissed!! Yes we would propably get a better costume and stuff, but another few years of waiting? I couldn't stand it

Well if the rumblings are that Sony is liquidating Sony Pictures that means that there are no plans for a second and third film at this point. If Sony does sell Sony Pictures I will be so pissed that they wouldn't let Sam do SM4. This movie will just be a one of Superman Returns sort of deal.

It's not the shared universe I'm interested when it comes to Marvel Studios. I just somehow think that Marvel Studios has bigger chances of making a good Spidey film, mainly because Spiderman movies vs. Ironman= Ironman wins by far.

That's arguable, but I don't feel like arguing about it. I'll just say I prefer Sony's first two Spider-Man films.

Well if the rumblings are that Sony is liquidating Sony Pictures that means that there are no plans for a second and third film at this point. If Sony does sell Sony Pictures I will be so pissed that they wouldn't let Sam do SM4. This movie will just be a one of Superman Returns sort of deal.
Same here. There really would have been no point for the reboot if that's the case. Though, couldn't they make a sequel even if the rights whent to Marvel?

They could but I bet they would reboot it so that it would fit in line with their current universe.

We will see. I haven't seen this movie yet so I don't know how I would feel if Marvel rebooted it but at this point I am ambivalent. This movie could be the worst thing ever or the best thing ever...we don't know. But, what is best for Spider-Man is that Marvel gets back the rights. Look at how good Thor and Iron Man were and early reviews are that Cap is amazing. Just think what they could do with Spider-Man.:wow:

They could but I bet they would reboot it so that it would fit in line with their current universe.

We will see. I haven't seen this movie yet so I don't know how I would feel if Marvel rebooted it but at this point I am ambivalent. This movie could be the worst thing ever or the best thing ever...we don't know. But, what is best for Spider-Man is that Marvel gets back the rights. Look at how good Thor and Iron Man were and early reviews are that Cap is amazing. Just think what they could do with Spider-Man.:wow:
Yeah, agreed! Marvel Studios REALLY seems to know what they are doing for the most part.

I agree that Thor seems like a pretty cool movie (haven't seen that one yet), but the thing that really bugs me is that Marvel seem to care too much about their whole universe itself.

If I watch a Spider-Man film, I don't want SHIELD and all that kind of stuff involved. It may work in comics, but a film is just 2-3 hours. I want it to be only about Spider-Man and whatever comes against him.

Also, if there is this big universe of heroes, let's say Spider-Man has to face off against Green Goblin. Why wouldn't Iron Man help him for instance?

Also, Marvel isn't totally flawless. Just look at Iron Man 2. That one is just a mess, mainly because they cared more about SHIELD and Avengers and not Iron Man and his secondary characters. I don't want that kind of thing to happen to Spider-Man.

I agree that Thor seems like a pretty cool movie (haven't seen that one yet), but the thing that really bugs me is that Marvel seem to care too much about their whole universe itself.

If I watch a Spider-Man film, I don't want SHIELD and all that kind of stuff involved. It may work in comics, but a film is just 2-3 hours. I want it to be only about Spider-Man and whatever comes against him.

Also, if there is this big universe of heroes, let's say Spider-Man has to face off against Green Goblin. Why wouldn't Iron Man help him for instance?

Also, Marvel isn't totally flawless. Just look at Iron Man 2. That one is just a mess, mainly because they cared more about SHIELD and Avengers and not Iron Man and his secondary characters. I don't want that kind of thing to happen to Spider-Man.
Marvel should care about their whole universe though, lol.

Well, I don't think there wouldn't be that many cameos, but there definitely would be quite a few references, if you ask me. As for Iron Man not helping him, well, the same question can be asked for the comics. all these heroes exist in Spider-Man's world in the comics, but they don't help him all the time.

I wouldn't want a Spider-Man film to be full of cameos and I don't think it would happen because all the cameos so far have been for the upcoming Avengers film. I think we would see 1 or 2 cameos at the most, but not much else.

Iron Man 2 was really the only movie that took it overboard and Marvel learned their lesson and quickly corrected it with Thor.

^I guess you guys are right. But if ASM turns out great, and Sony then go bankrupt, then I hope Marvel will just do sequels to it instead of immediately rebooting it. However, if ASM is bad, well then I don't care.

Iron Man 2 was really the only movie that took it overboard and Marvel learned their lesson and quickly corrected it with Thor.
Yup, my thoughts exactly as well. Thor is on my list of greatest comic book films ever and I have a feeling Cap will follow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"