Sequels Sony Revives 'Venom' Solo Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatsDC

Side-Kicker
Reaction score
The Hollywood Reporter said:
'Spider-Man' Spinoff 'Venom' Revived at Sony (Exclusive)

Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach, stewards of the 'Spider-Man' properties, are producing and overseeing the new film.

Now that Sony has set Spider-Man on its rebooted path, the studio is setting its sights on other Spider-Man franchises. Case in point: Venom.
Sony has tapped Dante Harper to pen a script for Venom, something that is being envisioned as a franchise apart from and unrelated to the upcoming Spider-Man movie in the works with actor Tom Holland.

Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach, stewards of the Spider-Man properties, are producing and overseeing the project.

Venom is one of Marvel’s top villains and a Spider-Man fixture since he was introduced in 1988, created by writer David Michelinie and artists Todd McFarlane and Mike Zeck. The character is an alien symbiote that need a human host to survive. In return, the alien empowers its victim with incredible powers.

For the longest time, Venom was a villain but then morphed into an anti-hero and even (almost) good guy. In his current incarnation, Venom is paired with Flash Thompson, a Peter Parker bully-turned-close friend and now a government agent.

It is unclear which Venom incarnation is being used for the new project.

The character made its screen appearance in Spider-Man 3 and was played by Topher Grace. A spin-off has been in development in several incarnations, with Gary Ross and Josh Trank among the director coming and going, and writers such as Paul Wernick and Rhett Reese (Deadpool) and Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci penning versions.

This Venom is meant to not only stand on its own but to also launch its own franchise.

Palak Patel and Eric Fineman are overseeing Venom for Sony’s Columbia label.

Harper is an up-and-coming scribe who did rewrite work on Edge of Tomorrow, the time travel sci-fi movie that starred Tom Cruise. He also co-wrote Sleepless Night, the crime thriller that stars Jamie Foxx and Dermot Mulroney.

The Hollywood Reporter

:csad:

Sony never learns. Sinister Six is next, guarantee it,

This could be good or bad. Good if it means that we'll get the black costume in Infinity War and we'll see a Spider-Man sequel in late 2019 with Spider-Man vs Venom before Venom gets his own film in 2020. It would be a great way to have an R-rated superhero in the MCU and have Sony able to produce more Spider-Man films.

It could also be really bad if it's not connected to Spider-Man and the MCU in any way at all and is purely stand-alone just so Sony can have the novelty of an R-rated superhero film and Avi Arad and Tom Rothman ruin the film by first hiring an incompetent director and then meddling in the film with reshoots to make the film more, "hip."

Venom is tied to Spider-Man. You literally can't get away from that. It needs to be in the same universe and Spider-Man needs to fight him before he becomes a hero, otherwise what's the point?

Sony never learns. Sinister Six is next, guarantee it,

I really hope not. If Sony want to get a third Spider-Man franchise going, they should do something with Silver Sable or Spider-Man 2099.

Did you read the article? It's not going to be linked to the Spidey franchise in any way. This isn't good.

It's not connected to Spidey, Dasher. And I agree 100%, Venom literally came from Spider-Man, the Symbiote copied Peter's powers and gave them to Brock.

This some more Sony/Arad bullcrap.

Venom could be fantastic.

This won't be.

I like Venom movie idea in general. If it's envisioned as a franchise apart and unrelated to the Spider-Man this means we are probably getting Venom with Eugene "Flash" Thompson instead of Eddie Brock. I dont see any other way you making Venom movie without Spider-Man involved. And it's stupid if it's not MCU related.

Thing is Avi Arad is also involved. So this means we are getting bad movie for sure. Not worth of my, your or anyone money. I guess Sony never learns.

Last edited:
welp, no symbiotes in the MCU i guess. sony is killing me with their stupidity.

Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach, stewards of the 'Spider-Man' properties, are producing and overseeing the new film.

I'm already out at reading this sentence. The hack team. Total and utter morons.

You're going to make a Venom movie without Spider-Man and not connected to the MCU series in anyway? They're just greedy for money and are probably a little salty about getting told to keep their noses out of the new Spider-Man movies.

Also I can't imagine how Rothman said yes on this project.

Lmfao what a dumb idea to not connect it. Idiots

Hm, well then. That's....that's surely something.

Sony Good: Casting
Sony Bad: Venom, No Solo News
Sony Meh: Directing and Writing Crew

Let's hope things look up soon.

Are they intent on beating a dead horse? It must be Arad behind this. Why on earth would they want to continue the Venom movie? They'll probably still want to link it to Spider-Man at some point even if it's not connected now, because Sony might want to exercise that right. And Venom is connected to Spider-Man in the first place. The general audience will see them as connected anyway.

And if they do this, that means they can't have Venom feature in the MCU at some point later if they want, because this movie will have affected that.

It's not connected to Spidey, Dasher. And I agree 100%, Venom literally came from Spider-Man, the Symbiote copied Peter's powers and gave them to Brock.

This some more Sony/Arad bullcrap.

Then I don't get why they're even doing it. This sounds like a really bad idea on many levels.

They can't ****ing b serious how stupid can they be

My theory is that Arad's bruised ego is salty about being told by Marvel "You suck, you've drove our most popular superhero into the ground with your horrendous creative ideas and greedy business decisions, we're taking our character back, get lost", so now he's going to make another intentionally horrendous movie that's connected to Spider-Man and release it at the same time as MCU's Spider-Man to try to make it look bad and sabotage it from being very successful.

The man could actually pass as a super-villain in one of these movies. He's a pure evil-mastermind at this point.

I can see it now...a fourth wall breaking, hyper-violent Marvel anti-hero starring in an R-Rated action comedy. Another brilliant idea from the mind of Avi Arad!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"