The Last Jedi Speculation/Spoilers - 5 Reasons This Is Disney's Last Chance to Impress Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

NealKenneth

Civilian
Reaction score
5) The first action scene teased in the Episode 8 trailer is yet another recycled idea

Remember how awesome the AT-ATs were at the start of Empire? Well, we’re on the second film in this “new” trilogy so that means it’s time for a fleet of ships to advance across a white expanse towards a row of At-ATs. Everything needs to be just like before!

What this means for the new trilogy - Disney is continuing their low-creativity, soft reboot approach.

4) Han Solo went back to smuggling

It’s easy enough to believe that Leia and Han could separate, but I do not think this would continue once Kylo joined the First Order. So when we met Han in Episode 7, Leia should have been with him. These two should have actively searching for their son together. But, beyond anything else, Han should NOT have been back to smuggling and searching for his old ship instead. This guy is an old man and a retired general...why was he wearing the same clothes? Unbelievable.

As much as I hate to say it, you can expect similar handling of Luke. With a new director and writer, I had hope, but now Hamill himself doesn’t seem too excited.

What this means for the new trilogy - Disney does not let characters truly return, only their likeness for the nostalgia value to sell tickets.

3) Rey is about to teach Luke a lesson...just like she did with Finn, Han and Kylo Ren

One of the most frustrating parts of watching The Force Awakens is that Rey is basically perfect. She didn’t need Finn’s help to defend herself against attackers (even though she was outnumbered), she knew more about the Millennium Falcon than Han, she escaped from Starkiller Base by herself, and she defeats Kylo Ren in lightsaber combat. Daisy Ridley is very charismatic and all of these things are portrayed in the most convincing way possible...but it makes for scenes that lack tension and a flat character, especially on repeat viewings.

But the really annoying thing about these examples is that they actually diminish the other characters. Forget years of training and experience...Rey is better!

Now, it’s Luke’s turn. The line at the end of this new trailer absolutely reeks of a upcoming moment when Rey will show the fallen hero how he’s gone wrong. I don’t buy that Luke would ever need such a reminder. Why bring a character back if you’re going to totally betray everything they are?

What this means for the new trilogy - It is very, very important to have more females in Star Wars and they must never be better than everyone and never need help.

2) “It is time for the Jedi to end.”

One of the reasons the original trilogy resonates so much even to this day is that it told such a strong story about good and evil. Luke refuses to kill his father, his father redeems himself by betraying his Master and saving Luke’s life. Wow! Now, Luke has turned his back on all that, for reasons that are yet to be revealed. However, the leading fan theory is that it is because Luke will become a “Grey Jedi” and this is substantiated by promotional materials for the film, like the poster showing a lightsaber fade from blue to red.

What so many fans seem to miss is that the light and dark side are not merely different methods or approaches. They represent good and evil. And the Jedi aren’t just an organization, they defend against evil in the galaxy.

What this means for the new trilogy - Star Wars’ strong story about good and evil will devolve into the politics of moral relativism.

1) They’ve one 0-2 so far.

With Episode 7 (in name only) they dressed a soft reboot in the clothes of a continuing story. I would have preferred a total reboot to that. But bringing old characters back, just to betray them completely and have new ones walk all over them...that’s where you lose me. Doesn’t Disney realize that repeating a story beat for beat is a good way to totally lose your established audience? The general audience isn’t that stupid. It’s actually insulting!

Then there’s the middling spinoff that was Rogue One. Tied to the original trilogy by only a plot detail, this was a chance for a fresh start and for Disney to flex their creative muscles. Well, the art department nailed locations and designs but, unfortunately, the characters were very forgettable and the nostalgia abuse was even worse than The Force Awakens.

If you take the best elements of The Force Awakens and Rogue One, Disney could have made a really great film. Unfortunately, it’s probably too little and too late. Episode 8 is the last chance for me!

RIP Carrie Fischer and, with her, our opportunity to continue the original Star Wars story. :(

That’s nice.

It also didn’t need its own thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"