• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Comics Spidey, Sigs, and You

Alexia Dark

Warrior Princess
Reaction score
I've not posted here in a long time, and with good reason; I'm finding nothing of value in the current storylines involving my favorite character.

I know that there have been countless threads about the direction of Marvel's characters and possibly all of them have turned into nasty debate threads in which one side says "Yes, I hate what's happening, it needs to be stopped", and the other side saying "Who cares? Don't read it then. Your opinion doesn't matter". But it should. What is the point of the existance of a company that ignores it's long-loyal fans?

Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to tell how many approve or disapprove of the state of Marvel, and online petitions seem to do no good.

Enough of the long-winded speeches, I'll say only this:

If you even slightly disapprove of the current direction Marvel is taking with your favorite character(s), please state so in your signature. In the off-chance that the creative team visits this forum and sees 3, 10, 20 people in the same thread with the same message and purpose - their dislike of the direction of the company - it may be more effective than a bunch of numbers assembled on petitions.com.

This is not another club or play group stating 'I think this'; it is an indepenant alliance of fans who feel betrayed, ignored, or even slightly offended by recent events in Marvel history.

Marvel Fans for Change - Disapproving of Marvel's direction since (insert your issue number/title here). It's that simple. An inch of space on a computer screen.

Please give any relavent (read: non-flaming, non-spamming, non-argument-baiting) feedback in this thread.

I've not posted here in a long time, and with good reason; I'm finding nothing of value in the current storylines involving my favorite character.

I know that there have been countless threads about the direction of Marvel's characters and possibly all of them have turned into nasty debate threads in which one side says "Yes, I hate what's happening, it needs to be stopped", and the other side saying "Who cares? Don't read it then. Your opinion doesn't matter". But it should. What is the point of the existance of a company that ignores it's long-loyal fans?

Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to tell how many approve or disapprove of the state of Marvel, and online petitions seem to do no good.

If you even slightly disapprove of the current direction Marvel is taking with your favorite character(s), please state so in your signature. In the off-chance that the creative team visits this forum and sees 3, 10, 20 people in the same thread with the same message and purpose - their dislike of the direction of the company - it may be more effective than a bunch of numbers assembled on petitions.com.

This is not another club or play group stating 'I think this'; it is an indepenant alliance of fans who feel betrayed, ignored, or even slightly offended by recent events in Marvel history.

Marvel Fans for Change - Disapproving of Marvel's direction since (insert your issue number/title here). It's that simple. An inch of space on a computer screen.

Please give any relavent (read: non-flaming, non-spamming, non-argument-baiting) feedback in this thread.

I for one disprove. It's finally time to fight back. :yay:

In the off-chance that the creative team visits this forum and sees 3, 10, 20 people in the same thread with the same message and purpose - their dislike of the direction of the company - it may be more effective than a bunch of numbers assembled on petitions.com.

It wouldn't be effective in the slightest.

I guess you didn't read the part where she says "read: non-flaming, non-spamming, non-argument-baiting" :whatever:

I'm not flaming. I'm not spamming. I'm giving her a reality check. A dozen Internet forum posters complaining about BND is not going to do anything to alter the direction of the Spider-Man comics.

Remembering dead drug users that you don't even personally know won't bring them back from the grave either. :csad:

Remembering dead drug users that you don't even personally know won't bring them back from the grave either. :csad:

He was a drug user, but despite this flaw in his character I am hoping he was able to accurately portray the Joker in the new Bat-film.

He was a drug user, but despite this flaw in his character I am hoping he was able to accurately portray the Joker in the new Bat-film.

Yeah, comic book characters are that important.:o

It is a good idea to just let people know that you are angry but the only way to get them to change direction is to speak with the wallet. If you don't buy it and enough people don't buy it they will change direction to save the book from dying completely.

As I see it now the sales have actually improved on the book in some ways it has not left the top 20 books since Brand New Day.

In my opinion though I think some of the people who really dislike the book need to at least pick it up and give it a shot. It's been some of the most well written Spider-Man books in years. I hate to see fans punish themselves because they are angry over the horrid display of One More Day.

I haven't wasted my money on a Spidey comic since the issue Spidey got his eye taken out. It's not about one or two bad stories; it's about 4 or 5 horrible storylines that have changed, and in my opinion, ruined much of the Spidey mythos. From being 'magically chosen' to be Spider-Man, to his first true love sleeping with the enemy, to unmasking, these shock-value stories are equivalent of plastering 'Lindsay Lohan in rehab again' and 'Brangelina break up scare!' all over tabloids in the hopes that a bunch of silly gossiping idiots will pick up these peices of garbage and think of it as 'news'.

Congrats to those who have fallen for it and have learned to appreciate the destruction of the (IMO) best superhero universe ever.

I haven't wasted my money on a Spidey comic since the issue Spidey got his eye taken out. It's not about one or two bad stories; it's about 4 or 5 horrible storylines that have changed, and in my opinion, ruined much of the Spidey mythos. From being 'magically chosen' to be Spider-Man, to his first true love sleeping with the enemy, to unmasking, these shock-value stories are equivalent of plastering 'Lindsay Lohan in rehab again' and 'Brangelina break up scare!' all over tabloids in the hopes that a bunch of silly gossiping idiots will pick up these peices of garbage and think of it as 'news'.

Congrats to those who have fallen for it and have learned to appreciate the destruction of the (IMO) best superhero universe ever.

Great Post.

It is a good idea to just let people know that you are angry but the only way to get them to change direction is to speak with the wallet. If you don't buy it and enough people don't buy it they will change direction to save the book from dying completely.

As I see it now the sales have actually improved on the book in some ways it has not left the top 20 books since Brand New Day.

In my opinion though I think some of the people who really dislike the book need to at least pick it up and give it a shot. It's been some of the most well written Spider-Man books in years. I hate to see fans punish themselves because they are angry over the horrid display of One More Day.

Great post like always Spideyinatree. :yay:

Exactly....
People seem not to understand that the marriage itself its not the only reason alot of people have dropped the book.

After being a long time fan and following Spidey over the recent years...his origin has been destroyed. his powers have been changed. they destroyed gwen's character. they made him sick without revealing whats wrong. they brought back morlun with no explanation. they killed him off in a cheap "death of superman" way.
he revealed his identity...and easily registered. something spider-man should never think about doing....seeing as that he has many enemies...and his family would never lead a normal life. (it was a selfish unthinking choice.)
and finally they destroyed the character's marriage with him making a pact with a man that represents satan in the marvel universe! :cmad: something that lasted 20 years and became a staple. enough that non fans know he's married to her was easily pulled out. and whether marvel liked it or not it would generate fans in those some odd years. so it needed a better send off if it was there choice.

So when you assume that fans are upset because of the marriage being gone. no thats not just it. that was just the final straw for some fans and I can understand why.

it's like playing football in the house while your parents away, breaking a lamp and than trying to put it back together again.
there plan didn't work.

They hid behind the marriage as the reason for the crappy storylines.
Well a little funny thing is that while Mj and Pete were separated he was some what single. they've shown him go on a date as peter once before in peter parker with his neighbor and no one complained. JMS decided to make him a teacher and THAT was the mistake. sure it was interesting. but it was the move that ripped peter from his cast totally. Mj was no where around so it wasn't Mj's fault. there are PLENTY of 90's stories that were told with no problem while Mj was his wife.

sure they've been trying to get rid of her for a long time now....but its the writer who has the power in the book. NOT the characters. like i said before you can make anyone believe anything if your talented enough *cough ed brubraker cough*

marvel knew it was a bad move. especially since they had so many with spidey in such a short time. thats why they threw dan slott on the book. and the man is born to write spidey.

I hope marvel learns from there mistake. :yay:

Just be careful coming off that high horse of yours.

I agree. The direction in which Marvel has taken Spider-man is not a direction I agree with or like, and it has been this way for a long while. Imagine it, me, a huge Spider-fan, with an extensive collection of Spidey books that I inherited from my dad, who liked Spider-man most out of all the superheroes, now without a way to enjoy new adventures featuring my #1 favorite. It's sad, and I've complained, sometimes here, sometimes not. I no longer buy Spider-man comics too.

But other people do. They buy it, they love it. They yell their admiration for it from the rooftops (or in brightly colored sigs). I hear that the writing is good, the art is great, the characters are fun and cool, and while I don't see it, others do. So I started to think, if Spider-man's stories were and are truly art (which as creative works, they are) then like all art, different people would have differing opinions on it. It's all in the eye of the beholder. One man's trash is another's treasure, and so on and so forth.

Maybe I've moved away from Spider-man, but the book is selling well, and apparently (as I've mentioned) people like it. Maybe it's me, and seeing as how Spider-man is not my character, but Marvel's, then I personally don't have a say in what they do with him. I just have a say in what I do with my money, which is, in this case, not buy Spider-man comics.

For those of you who continue to buy and enjoy the adventures of Spider-man, more power to you. I sincerely hope you get as much enjoyment from those books as I did when I was reading them, and maybe I'll join you again one day, but for now, I'm looking elsewhere for my superheroics fill.

That is your decision to make. It is your money and do with it as you please. But I think it is kind of low to go telling people who enjoy it that they have "fallen for it". As someone who is not only enjoying the new direction of Spider-Man but believing this to be a new golden era for the character, I haven't fallen for anything. I want solid story telling that go back to the basics of what made the character so appealing. And that is exactly what has been done. I have not enjoyed the books this much since I first started reading back in the really early 90's. One More Day was a badly told story and it really ripped continuity into pieces. I disliked it. But it spawned Brand New Day and I have what I have now with the book. I gave it a shot and it worked out for me. I haven't fallen for anything except reading comic books that I enjoy.

All the things you just mentioned...."being magically chosen", "unmasking", "his first true love sleeping with the enemy". Brand New Day did erase all of that. I'm not going to sit here and convince you to read the book but if those are the reasons that push you away you should give it a shot.

I haven't fallen for anything. I want solid story telling that go back to the basics of what made the character so appealing.

One More Day was a badly told story and it really ripped continuity into pieces. I disliked it.

All the things you just mentioned...."being magically chosen", "unmasking", "his first true love sleeping with the enemy". Brand New Day did erase all of that.

No, they all happened actually, marvel has gone out of their way to make that point. Everyone on earth remembers Spider-Man unmasking, they just forget who he was and apparently no one cares enough to look into that.

He's still magically chosen, he just lost those abilities. We've been promised an explination on that in the next 30 to 40 years, just keep reading.

Norman still fathered the gwen kids, JMS wanted to undo that but Joey stepped in.

I was under the impression that all of those events were swept underneath the rug. Maybe your right. Than I guess Alexia will DEFINITELY not be giving the book a chance.

You can check with the SOS supporters on this, it's like a mantra call, "it all still happened"

The only things that they have coped to so far is the wedding (obviously) and baby may never existed.

Just be careful coming off that high horse of yours.

Mr. Kettle, there's a Mr. Pot for you on line 2....:whatever:

Honestly, I think everyone should give BND a shot. I did. I read the first few issues in the store, and found it all to be a big rehash. Others don't. Still, the first issue had Peter's wallet getting stolen, and it appeared someone would discover his secret identity! Oh NO!! We have NEVER seen that happen!! Oh...wait a minute....he was outted to the whole world a little over a year ago.

Hey, Peter's dating again! Maybe he will get married and....oh...nevermind, that all happened, and it was washed away by a deal with the devil...so Peter will never be married again.

Honestly, if you want to read BND, then by all means, read it and enjoy it. Me, I would much rather see some character PROgression, as opposed to character REgression, which is all I've seen seen since Peter became devil-powered.

You can check with the SOS supporters on this, it's like a mantra call, "it all still happened"

The only things that they have coped to so far is the wedding (obviously) and baby may never existed.

And Harry's trip to the morgue.

And Harry's trip to the morgue.

Did they officially say that never happened? I mean it wouldn't have been a streach for Harry to go the way of dad and die, only to come back.....

I don't know what the official line is on harry, I know he's been in rehab but how much of what happened before that I thought was still in question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"