• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Star Trek: The Final Frontier ~ Season I IC Thread

"No, I think that about covers it", Rourke states as he stands up from his seat.

"Consider this meeting adjourned. You all may return to your posts."

I switch of the screen and lean back in my chair, rubbing my eyes. I've been in my quarters for the last two hours, trying to dig up anything on the starbase. But no where I've looked, and no one I've called, has given my any insights. Even the few friends in SI that were willing to pick up my calls couldn't help. Which either means Starbase 23 is exactly what it appeared to be, or it's something so classified that no one knows anything about it.

In essence, I've gotten nowhere.

I think about making one more call, but it's not smart to burn favors with the head of Starfleet Intelligence unless you really, really need to. Instead, I walk over to my replicator. I think about ordering a bourbon, but I've learned that frustration usually isn't the best reason to drink. Especially when still on duty.

Instead, "Tea, Earl Grey. Hot." The replicator hums with light for a moment. I pick up the cup and take a sip...then promptly spit it back into the cup.

"How does Jean-Luc drink this?" I put the cup back, and push the recycle button. Another hum, and it's gone. "Jovian coffee, spiced, black, decaffeinated. Hot."

This time a mug appears. I lift it, blow across the top, and sip. "Ahhh...that's more like it."

Still, the frustration remains. And I'm not doing any good just standing around banging my head against the wall, and the captain doesn't need me sitting around the bridge. I think about going for a workout and dismiss it. I think about the bourbon, and decide to get out of my quarters.

I vaguely walk around the ship, taking this new vessel in, and eventually find myself standing outside sickbay. I smile. I had been meaning to have meeting with all the department heads anyway...

The door slides open and a nurse instantly stands up from her station. "Commander. How can I help, sir."

I wave her off. "I'm just here to talk with the doctor. Is he in?"

"In his office, sir. Other side of the wall."

"Thank you, ensign." I step through the open doorway, and see the young man hard at work. I never could figure out much of the stuff Julian would have on his screens. I always thought it was because of his genetically superior intellect. Now, looking at the doctor's screens, I just must not have an eye for medicine.

"Doctor McCoy...?"

"Thank you, ensign." I step through the open doorway, and see the young man hard at work. I never could figure out much of the stuff Julian would have on his screens. I always thought it was because of his genetically superior intellect. Now, looking at the doctor's screens, I just must not have an eye for medicine.

"Doctor McCoy...?"

I'm in the middle of my medical charts when the door slides open. I'm shocked when I see who comes through.

"Commander Vaughn!"

I smack my knees against my desk as I blot upright.

"What, ahh, what brings you around? Are you feeling well?"

I know Vaughn is the oldest human on this ship, and I'd really hate for him to die on my watch.

"I can give you a quick scan, if you wish."

"No need, Doctor. I feel fine. Frustrated that I haven't made any progress on Starbase 23, though. But that's not why I'm here. I always make it a point to talk with the senior staff on new assignments. And since Doctor Peters is indisposed for another day, that makes you our Chief Medical Officer."

"Well, in that case, please have a seat and tell me what's on your mind about Medical?"

"Well, I read up on what happened here today. That was a pretty difficult delivery you had earlier. Congratulations on pulling everyone through, by the way."

"But, what's concerning me the most...is Doctor Peters. He was supposed to be on duty, and I'm not sure I like to think what would have happened if he had been. I know you've only been around the man a short time, but in my experience, that's all doctor's usually get, so that's all they need. What's your opinion of the him?"

Doctor Peters is a drunken fool. His practices are outdated, and he's a petty tyrant who's jealousy outweighs his actual medical ability.

"Doctor Peters is...adjusting to his role as Chief Medical Officer. He's been at the academy for almost ten years teaching, it's not easy for a man to adjust to being reassigned back into service. As far as the drinking is concerned, he was celebrating the ship's departure earlier today and he, along with myself and Doctor Ire, were not aware of the pregnant woman until she was rolled into Sickbay. We should have surveyed the medical files better, which I am going through right now, and we should never be caught off guard again."

I keep my trap shut about Peters. I personally can't stand the man, but I won't be responsible for his dismissal...yet. As my CO, I have to protect him to an extent. If he slips with lives in the balance, I'll personally dismiss the sorry bastard myself.

"I see." I absently pick up something that was sitting on the table and twirl it in my fingers. "I'm certainly glad to hear you being diligent about the crew's files. But I also sense that you're protecting Peters."

"I can admire that. No one wants to be the whistle blower on their commanding officer. And if you really think that Peters can do the job, I'll respect that. But it's my job to worry about the smooth functioning of the ship so the Captain doesn't have to. So if there comes a time when he can't, I hope you'll come to me with it."

"I see." I absently pick up something that was sitting on the table and twirl it in my fingers. "I'm certainly glad to hear you being diligent about the crew's files. But I also sense that you're protecting Peters."

"I can admire that. No one wants to be the whistle blower on their commanding officer. And if you really think that Peters can do the job, I'll respect that. But it's my job to worry about the smooth functioning of the ship so the Captain doesn't have to. So if there comes a time when he can't, I hope you'll come to me with it."

"Before I joined Starfleet, I took an oath to do everything possible to protect human life. If anyone isn't doing their job up to standard, not just Peters but myself, Doctor Ire and the nurses, I'll come to you. One mistake is all it takes, one mistake from life or death."

Vaughn nods his head. I bite my lip and shuffle some papers around.

"Umm, sir. I have a question for you."

He arches his eyebrow slightly. I'll take that as my cue to speak.

"I know you're well known in Starfleet, and you've had numerous assignments. Did you ever come aboard the USS California during my time on the ship, or perhaps Starfleet Academy while I was enrolled? I only ask this because....I feel like I've met you before, but I'm having trouble remembering where."

"Before I joined Starfleet, I took an oath to do everything possible to protect human life. If anyone isn't doing their job up to standard, not just Peters but myself, Doctor Ire and the nurses, I'll come to you. One mistake is all it takes, one mistake from life or death."

Vaughn nods his head. I bite my lip and shuffle some papers around.

"Umm, sir. I have a question for you."

He arches his eyebrow slightly. I'll take that as my cue to speak.

"I know you're well known in Starfleet, and you've had numerous assignments. Did you ever come aboard the USS California during my time on the ship, or perhaps Starfleet Academy while I was enrolled? I only ask this because....I feel like I've met you before, but I'm having trouble remembering where."

"I'm not surprised you have a hard time remembering." I put the whatever it is I'm twirling back on the desk. "A little over...twenty years ago now, I was seriously injured on a mission. Did not look good for me at all. And, not many Starfleet medical officers in the area knew how to treat someone as old as me. Except Leonard McCoy."

"It took almost a year of treatments and rehab to get me back on my feet. And Bones became one of my closest friends in that time. I think I spent as much time with the family as I did at the hospital. I was even there at your birthday party."

"I'm not surprised you have a hard time remembering." I put the whatever it is I'm twirling back on the desk. "A little over...twenty years ago now, I was seriously injured on a mission. Did not look good for me at all. And, not many Starfleet medical officers in the area knew how to treat someone as old as me. Except Leonard McCoy."

"It took almost a year of treatments and rehab to get me back on my feet. And Bones became one of my closest friends in that time. I think I spent as much time with the family as I did at the hospital. I was even there at your birthday party."

"That's it. I was ten years old. I believe my grandfather introduced you as his 'old friend'. I just assumed you knew him as long as Ambassador Spock or James Kirk. I had no idea he meant that you were literally an old friend. I think I remember you at his funeral."

I lean back in my chair and smile as I think back at Grandpa Bones.

"You know, he is the reason I'm sitting her right now. I wanted to be a doctor just like him. All those stories he told me growing up. If it wasn't for the fact that they're all well documented, I'd have trouble believing how many times he and the rest of the Enterprise crew helped save the Federation. I joined Starfleet because of that. I didn't want to settle for more than just some boring emergency room on Earth. I wanted to be on the edge of the galaxy, exploring new worlds and seeing what no one has seen before."

I realize that I've been rambling too much.

"Uhh, sorry about that, Commander. I don't mean to prattle on."

"That's it. I was ten years old. I believe my grandfather introduced you as his 'old friend'. I just assumed you knew him as long as Ambassador Spock or James Kirk. I had no idea he meant that you were literally an old friend. I think I remember you at his funeral."

I lean back in my chair and smile as I think back at Grandpa Bones.

"You know, he is the reason I'm sitting her right now. I wanted to be a doctor just like him. All those stories he told me growing up. If it wasn't for the fact that they're all well documented, I'd have trouble believing how many times he and the rest of the Enterprise crew helped save the Federation. I joined Starfleet because of that. I didn't want to settle for more than just some boring emergency room on Earth. I wanted to be on the edge of the galaxy, exploring new worlds and seeing what no one has seen before."

I realize that I've been rambling too much.

"Uhh, sorry about that, Commander. I don't mean to prattle on."

"Don't ever feel the need to apologize for feeling that way, Doctor. It's the very same reason I joined Starfleet. I just got sidetracked for a few decades. But I don't regret that either. Back in your grandfather's time, Starfleet was seen as one big adventure. A whole galaxy to explore. Now, I think we've lost much of that. Almost like Starfleet is old hat now. It's good to see there's a few people who still feel the way we did back in the day."

I stand up. "You know...it feels right to have a Bones on the Enterprise. I think, no, I'm sure Leonard would be proud you're here."

"Don't ever feel the need to apologize for feeling that way, Doctor. It's the very same reason I joined Starfleet. I just got sidetracked for a few decades. But I don't regret that either. Back in your grandfather's time, Starfleet was seen as one big adventure. A whole galaxy to explore. Now, I think we've lost much of that. Almost like Starfleet is old hat now. It's good to see there's a few people who still feel the way we did back in the day."

I stand up. "You know...it feels right to have a Bones on the Enterprise. I think, no, I'm sure Leonard would be proud you're here."

I stand up and nod at Vaughn.

"I'm sure he would be. Althoug Doctor Peters will be back on duty in the next few days, don't hesitate to ask me personally for anything you need."

I stand up and nod at Vaughn.

"I'm sure he would be. Althoug Doctor Peters will be back on duty in the next few days, don't hesitate to ask me personally for anything you need."

"Will do. Until later, Bones," I say with a grin.

I step out of sickbay and mentally run through the list of senior officers, trying to figure out the next one I should visit.

Bridge

"We must use time as a tool, not as a couch. John F. Kennedy "

"I agree."

Puk exited the Observation Room onto the Bridge as the automatic doors swished. She was surprised to find Chief Prescot finishing up her retro fitted Science Station.

"She's still got the old interface but the HUD and memory have been upgraded, of course."

"Excellent, Chief. That'll be all."

<blue light>

She's sleek. Just like I like it. Plus the focus of the blue display keeps me purpose driven.

"Tactical be advised that a buoy will be dropped as we pass Wolf 359. Please drop to Warp 2 during the launch as per my resource allocation."

Starbase 23. Perfect. The Devron system was tore apart by the Anti-Time Event. The possibility for a tether between the two seems promising. Maybe even past and present viewings via the Clairvoyance Software. We'll see.

But till then I have 18 hours to mull over some cold sensor readings from Starfleet database.

<blue light>

:ST: :ST: :ST:

Tarkon approached Bellatrix as everyone shuffled out of the meeting room to resume their duties.

"So, sir, how do you want to handle this?"

He said this with a very slight and very genuine hint of a smile.

Originally Posted by The Question

"So, sir, how do you want to handle this?"

She turns to him and replies, "I have a few contacts among Romulan Intelligence. I know a certain someone who could provide me with all the information I need. However, if he doesn't know then we could be dealing with a rougue entity who likes blowing up starbases for fun. I suspect Vaughn already knows more than anyone else here."

She turns to him and replies, "I have a few contacts among Romulan Intelligence. I know a certain someone who could provide me with all the information I need. However, if he doesn't know then we could be dealing with a rougue entity who likes blowing up starbases for fun. I suspect Vaughn already knows more than anyone else here."

"I'll get the team up to speed. What do you think, five of 'em in out in fighters for tactical support in case that warbird shows up, rest in full tactical gear in case we board them or they board us?"

"I'll get the team up to speed. What do you think, five of 'em in out in fighters for tactical support in case that warbird shows up, rest in full tactical gear in case we board them or they board us?"

"Perfect. I like your thinking" she replied. "I also intend to implement a special contingency plan. A small but highly trained group of operatives using non-standard equipment and methods. For dangerous away missions mostly. However, I feel this is not the time and I would need the Captain's permission. If I remember right, Tactical Officer Tuvok, a Vulcan of all people had a similar idea when he created his HAZARD TEAM on the USS Voyager."

I enter the Engine Room again, the various technicians and engineers working in a more relaxed way now, some at terminals running scans, others checking the machinery up close, noting stuff down on electronic pads. Faraway notices me entering and walks over to me.

"Sir."

"Faraway. All okay?"

"All the recent scans have been logged, ready for you to check, and everything is in a good condition."

"Excellent, if you need me, I'll be in my office."

I nod to her as I head in the direction of my office, going in through the doorway and taking a seat at my desk. I look to the screen and go through the data, the information the Captain gave us going through my head. Different to being stuck on a station, that's for sure.

The turbolift doors open and I step out, walking towards the large main room. "Commander!" several crewmen say, snapping to attention. I just give them a nod and keep walking. It'll be like this until the first mission or two are under our belts and the crew gets settled down.

I turn the corner, and the constant thrum of power fills the engine room. While crew work at the various stations, the whole scene is dominated by the massive warp core at the center. They say it's the most powerful in the fleet. Even more powerful than the Defiant's.

"...it certainly is bigger," I say to myself.

"Sir?"

"Yes, Ensign?"

"Um...did you say something...?"

I smile. "Just thinking out loud."

"I see, sir. Can I help you with anything?"

"Commander Skinner?"

"In his office, Commander."

"Thank you, Ensign."

I walk over in the indicated direction and lean in from the door, giving it a quick knock. "Chief Skinner?"

I sit slumped over my screen, scrolling through information when I hear footsteps in front of me and a knock.

"Chief Skinner?"

I look up quickly and spot Commander Vaughn standing in the doorway.

"Sir!" I call out, surprised, standing up into attention.

"What can I do for you?"

"Perfect. I like your thinking" she replied. "I also intend to implement a special contingency plan. A small but highly trained group of operatives using non-standard equipment and methods. For dangerous away missions mostly. However, I feel this is not the time and I would need the Captain's permission. If I remember right, Tactical Officer Tuvok, a Vulcan of all people had a similar idea when he created his HAZARD TEAM on the USS Voyager."

"I know just the people to get things started with that. But I think it would be smart to end up giving the whole security team the training and equipment for that. Rotate out who gets sent out and who stays behind..."

Tarkon trailed off for a moment, possibilities of strategy, violence, and heroism in the name of democracy flashing through his mind. Catching himself, he pulled his attention back toward his superior officer.

"Anyway. In the mean time, are you gonna need any help with the research?"

Last edited:
I sit slumped over my screen, scrolling through information when I hear footsteps in front of me and a knock.

"Chief Skinner?"

I look up quickly and spot Commander Vaughn standing in the doorway.

"Sir!" I call out, surprised, standing up into attention.

"What can I do for you?"

"Relax, Chief. I hit a stumbling block with my end of the investigation and decided to make the rounds to all the departments. Check in with everyone I can before we get to the neutral zone."

"So, I know you've only been on her for a few hours now, and it's not standard procedure to push the engines so hard on the first mission, but what's your assessment of our new Enterprise so far?"

Last edited:
"She's a fine ship, never seen one like her. Unique. Runs beautifully. I guess the final test is how well it holds up in a fight."

I take a seat back down in my chair and offer the one on the opposite side of my desk to the Commander.

"A seat, Sir?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"