Stranger Things (Netflix)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaleb

2010 & 2018 SHHFFL Champion
Reaction score
[YT]BKLI6zAuhiA[/YT]

A love letter to the supernatural classics of the 80's, Stranger Things is the story of a young boy who vanishes into thin air. As friends, family and local police search for answers, they are drawn into an extraordinary mystery involving top-secret government experiments, terrifying supernatural forces and one very strange little girl.

Stranger Things stars Winona Ryder, David Harbour, Finn Wolfhard, Millie Brown, Gaten Matarazzo, Caleb McLaughlin, Noah Schnapp, Natalia Dyer, Cara Buono, Charlie Heaton, and Matthew Modine.

Well this looks great. Or it was just a very well cut trailer. I do hope there's a reason for it taking place in the 80's and not just to put it there for the sake of nostalgia. If not, I don't know why this couldn't have just been a modern film with the same story. Aesthetically it kind of just feels like stuff we've already seen out of Spielberg. A kid with a red coat! Kids on bikes! Creepy looking scientists! A small town!

Or they did something that Abrams didn't really achieve with Super 8 and found a story that was great and justified the time period instead of just trying to be like a Spielberg film. I do love how the mother is searching for her son. That's something pretty fresh and could lead to other potentially new things.

...yet another "nostalgic love letter" picked up by Netflix...
I'll check it out after I have finished the other ones.

This looks really good.

stranger-things-1.jpg

‘Stranger Things’ Trailer: Netflix Takes a Pinch of Amblin and a Cup of Stephen King…

Here’s the official synopsis for the series:
Set in Hawkins Indiana in the 1980’s, Stranger Things chronicles the search for a young boy who vanishes into thin air under highly suspicious circumstances. His mother (Winona Ryder) opens an investigation into the boy’s disappearance with local authorities that unravels a series of mysteries involving top-secret government experiments, terrifying supernatural forces and one very strange little girl. A love letter to the ubiquitous cult classics of the 80’s, Stranger Things is a coming of age story for three boys that draws this quaint community into a world where mysteries lurk beneath the surface.
The first season of Stranger Things drops on Netflix on July 15, 2016.

st_pub_stills_1.01_R.jpg

st_pub_stills_2.01_R.jpg

st_pub_stills_3.01_R.jpg

st_pub_stills_5.01_R.jpg

st_pub_stills_6.01_R.jpg

Damn, son....

Looks awesome can't wait to check this out. As a big fan of Spielberg and films like E.T., Close Encounters and Super 8, this is right up my alley.

Production values on this look great. You couldn't tell the difference from a big movie release and this. Looks that good.

When I watched the trailer, I thought it was an original movie. I'll be watching this for a week in mid-July, that's for sure. It got my attention.

By the time I finish Sense8, it'll probably be time to start in on this.

Well this looks great. Or it was just a very well cut trailer. I do hope there's a reason for it taking place in the 80's and not just to put it there for the sake of nostalgia. If not, I don't know why this couldn't have just been a modern film with the same story. Aesthetically it kind of just feels like stuff we've already seen out of Spielberg. A kid with a red coat! Kids on bikes! Creepy looking scientists! A small town!

Or they did something that Abrams didn't really achieve with Super 8 and found a story that was great and justified the time period instead of just trying to be like a Spielberg film. I do love how the mother is searching for her son. That's something pretty fresh and could lead to other potentially new things.

Honestly, I don't mind the setting if it's done well. Nostalgia is fine with me.

I also think that writing in the 80's makes the world a little bigger, more mysterious, and potentially scary. People don't have constant communication with each other through cell phones, internet, and social media.

I love the poster. Looks like something that would have been on a kid's mystery book. Gets me all nostalgic.

If you haven't already noticed it, the Netflix trailer has many motifs from Spielberg’s E.T. Some of the scenes seem to be direct copy of scenes from E.T., boy meets alien(?) in the barn, men in white hazmat suits emerging from the door down to blinding light, closeup shot of face of one guy in hazmat suit, alien (?) kid exploring his room, alien(?) kid hooked up to machines, and of course the familiar motif of kids on bmx bikes, and suburban environment.

Beside, the trailer got my interest and it potentially look like a good series.

Honestly, I don't mind the setting if it's done well. Nostalgia is fine with me.

I also think that writing in the 80's makes the world a little bigger, more mysterious, and potentially scary. People don't have constant communication with each other through cell phones, internet, and social media.

I thought of that too. The lack of technology helps to give more tension and mystery to the well... actual mystery. If you pull out a cell phone, it takes a lot of the suspense away. Then again Gone Girl was a modern mystery missing person film and handled it nicely. I don't know... I feel like with these things, you can just be more clever. There's a difference between that and being overly reliant on it.

I just hope this wasn't a concept that began with, "An 80's love letter to..." and formed a story around that. You can't force stuff like that into something good for an original story. The original story should come first. I just hope their mentality wasn't, "Well, what's are the most 80's film elements that we can put into this that make it feel like the 80's?"

This looks good and I was impressed, but with studios trying to exploit nostalgia and it being all the rage today I'm just leery of it all. Until I see it I can't help but feel this could have just been a modern story.

I thought of that too. The lack of technology helps to give more tension and mystery to the well... actual mystery. If you pull out a cell phone, it takes a lot of the suspense away. Then again Gone Girl was a modern mystery missing person film and handled it nicely. I don't know... I feel like with these things, you can just be more clever. There's a difference between that and being overly reliant on it.

I just hope this wasn't a concept that began with, "An 80's love letter to..." and formed a story around that. You can't force stuff like that into something good for an original story. The original story should come first. I just hope their mentality wasn't, "Well, what's are the most 80's film elements that we can put into this that make it feel like the 80's?"

This looks good and I was impressed, but with studios trying to exploit nostalgia and it being all the rage today I'm just leery of it all. Until I see it I can't help but feel this could have just been a modern story.

We won't know until all 8 episodes air but maybe it jumps to the present day. Throw some Flight of the Navigator nostalgia in there too.

Looks great, definitely has me looking forward to July 15 and binge watching it.

new trailer
[YT]b9EkMc79ZSU[/YT]

Renewed for season 2.

I haven't seen anything saying that. :huh:

Just caught a glimpse of this while loading up my Netflix. Looks pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"