• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Superhero movies in oversea markets

wz21

Civilian
Reaction score
Superhero movies used to be thought as a very U.S. preferences type of film.This can be certificated by the gross ratio between North America market and oversea markets.Superhero movies such as TDK,BB,X1,2,3, WO,FF,Spiderman1,2,IM1,2,Thor,TCA,T all have a rato close to 1:1.Even some movies takes more in North America market .
But in recent years there are some changes,some superhero movies like TASM have a ratio more close to 1:2.This year this record have been broken again.The The Wolverine has a ratio 1:2.2.That's really an unusual ratio,That may close to some global movie franchise such as Harry Potter,and James Bond movies.In terms of audiences'taste in superhero movies , do differences between America and foreign countries really exist?

There are some countries where superhero-movies rarely are among the biggest hits of the year. Japan and Germany for example. So, while it might not be a huge difference betweeen America and the international market as a whole, there's definitely a difference between America and certain countries

There are some countries where superhero-movies rarely are among the biggest hits of the year. Japan and Germany for example. So, while it might not be a huge difference betweeen America and the international market as a whole, there's definitely a difference between America and certain countries
I think Japan and Germany are one type,but it does not mean other countries don't have difference.Some type of superhero-movies seem to
have much better oversea performance than others

Marvel has pretty much made it their own personal strategy to open their flicks overseas first, so as to get that money as well as good buzz before releasing it here. They're also figuring out how to appeal more to overseas audiences in regards to casting from that area or shooting there moreso.

Marvel has pretty much made it their own personal strategy to open their flicks overseas first, so as to get that money as well as good buzz before releasing it here. They're also figuring out how to appeal more to overseas audiences in regards to casting from that area or shooting there moreso.
But in oversea markets Marvel's movies varys in gross very much .Some do very well .Some also dong't performance well

Looking here in my country to the data that exists (2004 to now) there's not a single superhero movie in the top 40. So yeah , people dont give a rat's ass about superhero's films.

Last year only Rises appeared in the top 10 (8 , an amazing result considering it actually sold more admissions than Hobbit).

Looking here in my country to the data that exists (2004 to now) there's not a single superhero movie in the top 40. So yeah , people dont give a rat's ass about superhero's films.

Last year only Rises appeared in the top 10 (8 , an amazing result considering it actually sold more admissions than Hobbit).
Which country are you from?It may seems the same like China.The more realism superhero movie is ,the better it does in oversea market

Which country are you from?It may seems the same like China.The more realism superhero movie is ,the better it does in oversea market

Portugal.

I don't think it has much to do with realism. Simply , american comic books were never very popular.

I am from Portugal too and was going to mention it as well, i think there are just more people with a dislike for superheroes, in least i see some with that mentality, that and i think people enjoy old fashioned action more, since the Fast and furious and expendables franchises are making a lot of money here, even toping the box office.

In a way it's more or less about realism, the franchises i mentioned aren't very realist at all, but they don't show elements too far from reality, like superpowers, or go to the realm of science fiction. I remember watching Terminator 2 in the library with some friends and some other guys got interested due to the action where T-800 and John were being followed by T-1000 in a truck, then after an explosion, it was shown that T-1000 was a robot of liquid metal and they just lost any interest they had due to the genre becoming more fantastic.

Fantastic films for teens like Twilight seem to make very well though, Breaking Dawn Part 2 made more money than the last Harry Potter film here. The only film i have seen to be completelly successful everywhere is Avatar.

Portugal.

I don't think it has much to do with realism. Simply , american comic books were never very popular.
I think Rises is one of the most realism superheroes movies.It almost doesn't have superpower

I am from Portugal too and was going to mention it as well, i think there are just more people with a dislike for superheroes, in least i see some with that mentality, that and i think people enjoy old fashioned action more, since the Fast and furious and expendables franchises are making a lot of money here, even toping the box office.

In a way it's more or less about realism, the franchises i mentioned aren't very realist at all, but they don't show elements too far from reality, like superpowers, or go to the realm of science fiction. I remember watching Terminator 2 in the library with some friends and some other guys got interested due to the action where T-800 and John were being followed by T-1000 in a truck, then after an explosion, it was shown that T-1000 was a robot of liquid metal and they just lost any interest they had due to the genre becoming more fantastic.

Fantastic films for teens like Twilight seem to make very well though, Breaking Dawn Part 2 made more money than the last Harry Potter film here. The only film i have seen to be completelly successful everywhere is Avatar.
Glad to know all this .Seems very smillar to what happens in China(Although Terminator may more popular in China because of its director).It seems more romance scenes in superhero movies may also do help in oversea boxoffice.It increase the realism also.

Last edited:
The only film i have seen to be completelly successful everywhere is Avatar.

Titanic was a huge hit pretty much everywhere too. And that's why the worldwide grosses for these two movies are out of this world compared to normal blockbusters. And perhaps Jurassic Park, considering it was able to make over $900 million as far back as 1993

Last edited:
Yeah, completelly forgot about that one. Some old films like The Sound of Music could be considered too. Once in a while there's a film that gains a giant following everywhere, and they usually come out in the exact time they needed to be so successful.

Yeah, completelly forgot about that one. Some old films like The Sound of Music could be considered too. Once in a while there's a film that gains a giant following everywhere, and they usually come out in the exact time they needed to be so successful.
In Titanic's age,things totally different from the age of The Sound of Music ,In 70's no blockbuster's conception,even no real global market.but in Titanic's age things are about the same now.There were many blockbusters at that age.But Titanic Still far ahead other blockbuster

Is there anyone from other Aisa or European countries?You can tell something about superhero-movies in your country as well

Well, here in Sweden superhero-movies are doing okay, but they're not as huge as Harry Potter, James Bond and some other franchises. The Dark Knight Rises is the only one that, so far, made over $10 million in Sweden.

Well, here in Sweden superhero-movies are doing okay, but they're not as huge as Harry Potter, James Bond and some other franchises. The Dark Knight Rises is the only one that, so far, made over $10 million in Sweden.
It seems Nolan's batman has much better reputation than Avengers,Though not do better in boxoffice.I think in Asia ,things are similar

Yeah, while i see many disliking Bane on the net, around here the character was very popular, he's almost as iconic as Heath Ledger's Joker

Yeah, while i see many disliking Bane on the net, around here the character was very popular, he's almost as iconic as Heath Ledger's Joker
In fact it's very hard for Bane to surpass the Joker.The Joker effect can't repeat again

I said that he was almost, not exactly as iconic, but he's still very popular now and known now, many really liked the character.

It seems the trend has been observed by Hollywood

BVS may get more oversea boxoffice than Avengers

I think every country has their own version of superhero movies in a way.

BVS may get more oversea boxoffice than Avengers

What makes you think that? Looking at recent DC and Marvel movies, the best any DC movie has managed is 60% overseas BO, and most of them have done worse than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"