Superhero movies in oversea markets

wz21

Civilian
Reaction score
Superhero movies used to be thought as a very U.S. preferences type of film.This can be certificated by the gross ratio between North America market and oversea markets.Superhero movies such as TDK,BB,X1,2,3, WO,FF,Spiderman1,2,IM1,2,Thor,TCA,T all have a rato close to 1:1.Even some movies takes more in North America market .
But in recent years there are some changes,some superhero movies like TASM have a ratio more close to 1:2.This year this record have been broken again.The The Wolverine has a ratio 1:2.2.That's really an unusual ratio,That may close to some global movie franchise such as Harry Potter,and James Bond movies.In terms of audiences'taste in superhero movies , do differences between America and foreign countries really exist?

I think its nothing complicated. I think its simply that:

1. The overseas market has greatly expanded in recent years

2. Big spectacle blockbusters have global appeal

3. Of late, superhero movies tend to constitute a lot of the big spectacle blockbusters, and are often the better quality entries

I think its nothing complicated. I think its simply that:

1. The overseas market has greatly expanded in recent years

2. Big spectacle blockbusters have global appeal

3. Of late, superhero movies tend to constitute a lot of the big spectacle blockbusters, and are often the better quality entries

But oversea ratio have a big difference among different kind of superhero movies

Yo dudes !

I live in an overseas market (although I'm originally from Canada)

anyway, superheroes aren't a big part of New Zealand culture,

so you never really know how a film will perform down here.

Wolverine is quite popular, as NZ is quite a testosterone heavy country,

but he'll be beaten by any film with the Rock in it, as he lived here

as a kid (and is half Samoan, and NZ has a huge Samoan population).

Generally, the trends are the same as other places, just that characters
who are more strongly identified in American culture (eg. Captain America,
Superman) don't do spectacularly well.

Avengers did really well, so did TDK, and usually super-hero films get a much shorter run than they would get in North America. For some weird reason,
Watchmen didn't, it got a really long run. MOS got a reasonable run, and Thor TDW seems to be on track to do okay (Pacific Rim filled theatres, but then again, not really superhero, and really heavy on the "**** Yeah !" factor, loved it, going to watch it again, as soon as I finish posting).

Luckily **** super hero films get extremely short runs.. I think Batman and Robin got its worthless ass got kicked out of the cinemas in no time flat.

I have NO empirical data to back up this, just observations, having lived here nearly 18 years, and seen many a superhero film come and go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"