• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Superhero Support Systems?

Artistsean

Monkey Boy
Reaction score
Do you think superheroes need support systems? People their lives who not only are their for the civilian identity but also for their superhero identity, and maybe know their secret? For example, Spider-Man has MJ and Aunt May. There was a time that MJ and Aunt May didn't know he was Spider-Man. But then came a day when MJ knew and was there to help Peter and his life as Spider-Man. Then Aunt May found out and also helped Peter be Spider-Man. It created a less stressful story for Peter, rather than worrying about lying to Aunt May and MJall the time or worrying about not showing up and having his loved ones think he was a failure you had them know how great Peter was.
Now, because of Brand New Day, MJ knows but isn't exactly there for him and Aunt May doesn't know. How has his life changed? People think he is unreliable again.
Batman has Alfred, and Dick Grayson, and Barbara, and Tim Drake, and Superman, and others, who know his identity. He doesn't have to go through his dark war on crime alone, seeing everything at its worst. If he had to do it alone, it might drive him mad.
Superman had his parents and Lois, but now he has none of those things thanks to New 52. Has his stories changed? Is he darker because he is alone?
Even Daredevil has his friend Foggy Nelson.
Image Comics' Invincible has his parents, his father also being a superhero, his girlfriend who is a superhero, and his other friends who are superheroes.
Does it matter if the support system are just other superheroes? Is it better when its actual non powered friends and family?

When the hero has a support system their friends who know seem to be able to help with cover stories about where the hero was or why they are late, and if they have real influence they can help with why the hero didn't come in to work or why they are late to school. For example in the new Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon show Agent Coulsen is the new Principle, which could lead to Peter not having to worry about being late for school because he had to stop the Sinister Six again. In Batman Beyond Terry's friend Max knew and helped him out all the time, with excuses and with his girlfriend and even on some cases.

To you are comics where the heroes family know about it, or his close friends know about his secret identity, better? Are they more fun? Or do you prefer comics where the hero is constantly worrying about them finding out, like the Stan Lee Spider-Man comics.
Are there any comics where the hero is truly alone that you can point to that are fun?
Not trying to say there aren't any, just that I can't think of any off the top of my head and would actually like to know of them.
Or are they usually more stressful because of his/her needing to keep a secret?

Ok, I only read a few years of Spidey being married to Mary-Jane, up until about '93, but I loved the aspect of the original comics, with Pete being the only one who knew he was Spider-man.
I was glad they hung onto that for so long, it made the soap opera of his life very dramatic, it was great for the reader, if not for Pete really.

so, when they finally did bring Mj in on the secret, it was major, it felt great to read that story, because he had been on his own with that secret for so long.
(i recall reading a book in the shop once, that showed that MJ knew all along Pete was spider-man, she saw him climb out of the window in his suit back when he first became Spider-man, i didn't like that ret-con though, as it did not fit in with some of the stories, they way she acted etc)

Even though it is a mjor pain in the ass, there is something very fun about keeping such a major secret in your life(if you have ever had this experience), so I imagine Pete *did* get a kick out of JJJ not knowing he was Spidey, how could he not? Flash being Spidey's biggest fan as well...and in general, people underestimating him and thinking he was a weirdo, when he knew the truth, that would also be fun.

But yes, of course, if you were put into this situation, and had friends, even made some romantic attachments, eventually you would have to tell someone you trusted, you'd have to take that chance, whether it was for support, or just understanding, it would eventually happen, you'd just have to be careful with who you trusted, and whether they could handle it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"